Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Stock Can You Go?

Just like any other American in a consumer-based culture....

I got my Glock 35 and begin to think. What upgrades can I do to be like the grand masters? :rolleyes:

Then I read Glocks in Competition.... the book that was supposed to help me decide what to do with it.

Dave Sevigny is what "inspired" me to go with the Glock platform to begin with. Mostly stock.

Then I read about Armando Valdes....

And I've decided that for now.... a workout regimen and a piece of cardboard should be sufficient to keep moving up.

I'll probably add a different set of sights out of preference.

And maybe I'll put in a 3.5# connector and maybe a 6# trigger spring (the one I purchased came with the 5.5#).

And then I'm going to stop worrying about it.... and dry-fire my way to A class.

Thoughts?

I love it!!

I'm still gong to put a trigger in my Glock 34 when I can let go of the money.

There's not much you really can do in the production class.

I've done sites, spring, skate tape on the grip and that's about it.

Good look, and I hope to see you in A class before I make it there!!!

BSG

I hate to sound like a pimp for STI, but have a look at the GP6C. It's good to go out of the box, with great sights, a fantastic trigger, and a great grip feel.

I had the origional Grand Power K100, and it was very nice. The STI version is even better. I've got 3k or so through my current version, and not a single malfunction.

Well that's true since there is no such thing. Production is a Division.

Shooters are Classified into different Classes by shooting Classifiers. Guns are Divided into Divisions. :)

I bought a factory refurb. G35 and shot it to Grand Master in Limited, and then Production. In the early part of the decade, Glocks weren't nearly as popular in the sport as they are now.

Stock, other than sights, the $0.25 trigger job and grip tape. I use the extended mag release and the non-extended slide stop/release.

I still don't find the setup lacking. It runs and runs, and shoots great. It is a light gun, so you do need to develop a really good grip and shooting platform.

Well that's true since there is no such thing. Production is a Division.

Shooters are Classified into different Classes by shooting Classifiers. Guns are Divided into Divisions. :)

Yea, um, I was talking about the "Production Class" I attended for those of us shooting in the Production Division so we could improve the class in which we were classified and move on to other divisions and take other classes to improce classification. :surprise::roflol:

Quit picking on the retard!!! :blink::wacko::goof::(

Edited by Brad_G

And then I'm going to stop worrying about it.... and dry-fire my way to A class.

Thoughts?

Your plan sounds good. My Produciton G34 has Dawson sights and a reduced power striker spring and thats it. Don't need gadgets, just practice.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as one already said..."Do it". Though I shoot limited with my Glock 35, my trigger is pretty much stock. I do have many of the other "add-ons" but other than a 3.5# connector, I haven't touched the trigger. I like the way it feels. If you dig it...shoot it.

Change the sights: Warren-Sevigny, Dawson, or Heine.

Tru-grip on the guns grip to help with establishing a grip like Flex was talking about

.25 cent trigger job. I like to smooth out the edges on the safety plunger too when I do this.

3.5lb disconnector, polished

extended mag release

I prefer the extended slide release, but most don't. You might want the std flat slide release.

you may or may not want to change out the guiderod to a non-captured stanless steel, and you might want to go to a little lighter recoil spring, but don't sweat this. If it's cycling your ammo, then leave it alone.

As with anything in life, moderation is the key. You start taking mods on a Glock too far and you just get an inconsistant running firearm.

Are there any people shooting at the "M" level with stock 5.5# connectors? It could be entirely subjective - but the 3.5# feels mushier.

Can't answer the first part, but the Lone Wolf 3.5# is the cure for the mushy Glock OEM 3.5#.

:cheers:

Curtis

While I'm and old time 1911 shooter, I am new to the Glock Platform. Purchased a new 34 and wanted to go as cheaply as possible.

Went with Sevigny Plain Sights, others are just as good. Looked up the 25cent trigger job and polished parts with Simicrome polish and a few Q-tips. Changed to some lighter springs, Wolf Glock competition set and a 13lb recoil spring.

The gun is a blast to shoot, cheap to shoot and very easy to work on. I do have to clean it more often since going to the lighter springs or I'll get the occasional light strike that's usually after 300 rounds or so.

I'm shooting my carry gun in Production....a Glock 19. Because its my carry gun, all I've changed is the connector (a 3.5# Ghost) and the front sight (a Dawson .125" FO) and rear sight (Ameriglo black serrated, .180"). Its a perfect setup for carry and it does OK in production. Because I use it for carry..I won't install an extended mag release or light springs.

I love my 34! But I have to confess I could not keep it stock for long. I initially put a LWD 3.5 connector in it and did the 25 cent trigger job but eventually went with a Vanek trigger. Was it needed? No. Is it anywhere near as good as a 2011 trigger? Not no, but hell no! Is it 10 times better than stock? Pretty much. Other than that I put Sevigney competition sights and some skate tape on it.

Flex's post pretty much sums it up - you can get to GM with a virtually stock set up.

What he didn't but usually will emphasize in his posts is the essential second half of the success formula - "Pick one and practice".

Tricking up the gun is fun, and may give you a (mostly psychololgical and temporary) performance boost, and I've done both. But it's the lack of serious practice with whatever you use that hinders progress in shooting skill, not usually the equipment itself.

Some tape for a secure hold, sights that won't come off/get broken, a smoother (not necessarily lighter) trigger once your skill level can appreciate it, and you're just about there, equipment wise.

The rest is up to you.

Enjoy the trip.