Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The hot SS setup?

earlbob

I am trying to get a handle on what the best holster, magazine and belt set up there is for SS. Also curious about the preferred guns. Still trying to update my internal memory from the 1988 3rd edition rulebook to the new classes and rules we have now, and the new bullets and powders are also throwing an extra bit of electrical discharge under the skull bone besides the new holsters and other stuff. So maybe some of the semi-pro's, regular joe's and various hombre's extraordinaire could toss in their secret formulas and help my mind,inner man and wallet out.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your thoughts.

earl

I'm partial to my Les Baer Premier II. I believe this gun is the best value on the market.

My gear choice is the Blade-Tech SRB holster and double mag pouches on a CR Speed belt. As a side benefit, this gear is IDPA legal for CDP.

cr speed belts are everywhere, and for good reason! i love mine. i use a bladetech holster. its what i started with and love it as well, so no reason to change. Comp-tac is another that a lot of people like.

As for caliber, im shooting a 45 as its what I had and what i wsa set up to reload. if i were buying a new gun and was set up to reload .40 for another gun, id seriously think about a .40 single stack.

Seems STIs and Springfields are very popular guns for the division. I currently shoot a Colt for the above reason, its what I own. I did just sell another gun and am seriously looking at a couple STIs so I can put the Colt back to carry duty.

adjustable sights with F/o front is popular. Magwells (S&A, Dawson, Techwear) are a great accessory. personal preference there.

the MOST important thing is that the gear you have -gun and mags- are WORKING! An awesome expensive gun that blows everyone away wont do you much good if it jams every stage.

Belt, get a CR-Speed inner/outter belt.

Holster, I like Comp-tac but blade-tech isn't bad either

Mag pouches, I've tried just about everything but love the Safariland 771s

Gun, well that will be up to you but a .45 will be more likely to run out of the box. As for what to do with it you won't know until you shoot it or other people's guns.

Mags, Tripp Research

My gun is a Springfield Operator with a Techwell magwell and a Cylinder and Slide ambidextrous magazine release. Very accurate and reliable.

My belt is one I made myself because I wanted something that wasn't black.

I also use the Safariland 771 magazine pouches and I have been very happy with them.

My holster is a Blade Tech Techlok belt holster.

I put hook tape inside the magazine pouch belt loops and techlok so they are nice and solid on my belt.

For ammo I use Precision Bullets 200 grain SWC with HP38 but I'm giving Clays a try.

CR speed belt

Safariland Holster and mag pouches (major supporter of USPSA)

For .40 S&W - Tripp Mags

For .45 ACP - Wilson

Caliber - .40 S&W; STI will need work to make it reliable, SA, Brown, Wilson, RR, Baer are all excellent choices

For .45 anybody who produces a good reliable gun

Powder - VV320

Brass - mixed

primers - they all work for me

Front sight - Brazos

Rear - SV

Barrel - Kart, Nowlin

Hello: CR Speed belt 6" larger than your waist size. 6 Safariland 771's (I converted Corey :roflol: )Comp-Tac belt holster(faster than Blade tech for me), and a STI Spartan in 45acp with 8 Wilson 47D's. Pistol should have a Dawson no gap magwell and the new Dawson base pads for the Wilson's. That should get you going. Thanks,Eric

Hello: CR Speed belt 6" larger than your waist size. 6 Safariland 771's (I converted Corey :roflol: )Comp-Tac belt holster(faster than Blade tech for me), and a STI Spartan in 45acp with 8 Wilson 47D's. Pistol should have a Dawson no gap magwell and the new Dawson base pads for the Wilson's. That should get you going. Thanks,Eric

which Corey, haha cuz i use the 771s too. its what i started with when i found a good deal on some used ones on another site :) What Comp-tac are you using?

- Custom Les Baer in 45acp with all the necessary ergonomics (blended magwell, extended magazine release with reduced power spring, ambi-thumb safety)

- Tripp Research Cobra mags

- Comp-Tac belt holster and mag carriers

- 1.75" Bianchi Garrison gun belt

- Zero 230gr FMJ RN over 4.4 grns TiteGroup

- Wolf Primers

- Wolff 15# variable power recoil spring & 18# mainspring

C R Speed Belt

Blade Tech Holster & Pouches

Wilson 47D Mags

Gun Wilson Classic or STI Trojan depending on your budget

Caliber 45 ACP like a 1911 should be.

230 gr Precision Bullet with 4.0 gr Clays

12.5 lb recoil spring

17 lb mainspring

Blade Tech and Cr speed belts look like they have a following. Last night I bought 2 of the mag holders G-ManBart mentioned in another post he liked due to their small size, they are called Ready Tactical Mag Pouchs. I did not see the write up on the Ready Tactical holsters but they look nice. Never seen a Tripp magazine that I recall, I have bought some of the new Wilson magazines and the Dawson base pads that fit them that will work with the Dawson Ice magwell. I guess its the belts and holsters I am wrestling with now, I do have a couple of holsters but they just are not exactly what I am hoping for. Used the old Leathem/Enos Ernie Hill model for so long it is hard to change. The Comp-Tac I have seems to sit pretty tight to the side (grabbing a hand full of shirt with the gun is real easy something interesting I found out at the beep Sunday at an IDPA match) and requires a longer straight up pull and then push it out draw which takes some practice I guess.

Appreciate all the comments,

earl

Blade Tech and Cr speed belts look like they have a following. Last night I bought 2 of the mag holders G-ManBart mentioned in another post he liked due to their small size, they are called Ready Tactical Mag Pouchs. I did not see the write up on the Ready Tactical holsters but they look nice. Never seen a Tripp magazine that I recall, I have bought some of the new Wilson magazines and the Dawson base pads that fit them that will work with the Dawson Ice magwell. I guess its the belts and holsters I am wrestling with now, I do have a couple of holsters but they just are not exactly what I am hoping for. Used the old Leathem/Enos Ernie Hill model for so long it is hard to change. The Comp-Tac I have seems to sit pretty tight to the side (grabbing a hand full of shirt with the gun is real easy something interesting I found out at the beep Sunday at an IDPA match) and requires a longer straight up pull and then push it out draw which takes some practice I guess.

Appreciate all the comments,

earl

If you have a CR Speed belt it will move the holster out some from the body.

SANY0031.jpg

Tripp research system mag on the left standard .45 mag on the right. The system mags are 10 round mags cut down to fit the box. They reload like butter also.

Overlapping the CR inner belt on the rightside (if you're right handed) as opposed to in the front will also help move that holster out to the side a little. Standing with your right hip cocked outwards at the start position may help as well (hey, the WSB just says "standing with heels on X's, hands at sides...)

Guess I'll throw in my two cents on SS gear:

STI Trojan, .45 acp Few minor mods (S&A magwell, FO front sight, grip tape, 14# recoil and 17# main spring).

CR Speed Belt

Comp-Tac holster

Three Blade-tech double mag pouchs, but have a couple singles from COM on order to try out

CMC mags