Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

617s should come with warning label

Matt Griffin

I took my new 617 out today, and had the most fun shooting since I started competing. I burned over 500 rounds, I just couldn't quit. Incredibly accurate, so accurate that I couldn't detect any variance in the gun, it was always something in my trigger pull. When I did my job it was like a laser pointer, the hole just appeared where I was pointing. Fantastic gun!

H.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you guys have all discovered the DS-10 speedloaders for the 10-shot 617s, right?

If not, you need to order some right away....they are da bomb, baby!

Oh, yes, could not shoot steel challenge without. Perfect with the loading block.

post-16271-127034910451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Team Amish 1

Mine got used last weekend to keep two Rookies from flunking out of the Police Academy.....Who knew a .22 Revo could teach someone how to properly pull a DA trigger by shooting up a 550 Pack.......

One can of paint for the steel target and a 550pk of ammo.....equals trigger control.... :cheers:

Priceless!

Everybody ought to have at least one!

DougC

Mine got used last weekend to keep two Rookies from flunking out of the Police Academy.....Who knew a .22 Revo could teach someone how to properly pull a DA trigger by shooting up a 550 Pack.......

One can of paint for the steel target and a 550pk of ammo.....equals trigger control.... :cheers:

Priceless!

Everybody ought to have at least one!

DougC

+1. I believe that, once you are "down" with the 617 trigger, everything else feels like cheating.

Great practice tool/toy.

I bought mine when I was going through my SW625 phase. My custom 625 is now a safe queen but I still shoot the .22.

Hello: This is on my to-buy list :cheers: I like the 4" model with the speed loaders as well. Man, I think I have 22 fever now since it looks like both of my sons want shoot. Let see Ruger 22/45, S&W 41(ok that's for me) and a S&W 617 4". Maybe another Ruger 10/22. 22's are great fun for the whole family. Thanks, Eric

Mike,

is it possible to do action jobs on 617?

Roman

Yes, you can smooth up the action on a 617 just like any centerfire S&W.....however, you cannot lighten up the mainspring tension too much or you will run into ignition problems.

Question.... I had a 6" 17 way back, no matter how carefully I fuly inverted the gun after a 100 rounds I needed to brush out the area under the extractor or the thing would bind in DA. I sold that, even though I really liked it otherwise. A few years later, I got a 6 shot 617 4" and it would do the same thing after about 150 rounds. This was with minimags or anything else. Is this just part of the picture, or have they made changes to provide more clearance for unburned powder?

SPR1 -

Can't say whether this was your problem, but the chambers on my 617 are tight, which likely contributes to its excellent accuracy.

OTOH, the close tolerances can also prevent round from seating easily if the chambers get dirty. I suspect a DS-10 speedloader, for example, would only work for me with sparkling clean chambers. Once the rounds don't seat completely, they can hit the frame as they rotate into position, giving a binding type of feeling to the trigger pull. I generally give the cylinder a check spin after loading to be sure everything's seat well.

I finally got tired of my 617's incredibly tight chambers, and the hole the extractor rod was slowly drilling through the palm of my hand, so I bought a Manson finisher reamer.

Man, what a difference--that gun is so much more pleasant to use now that the empties come right out and the new ammo goes right in. And I have not noticed any difference in accuracy.

Not all 617s have tight chambers. It varies pretty widely.

Edited by Carmoney

I finally got tired of my 617's incredibly tight chambers, and the hole the extractor rod was slowly drilling through the palm of my hand, so I bought a Manson finisher reamer.

Man, what a difference--that gun is so much more pleasant to use now that the empties come right out and the new ammo goes right in. And I have not noticed any difference in accuracy.

Mike,

is this a service you can offer?

I am looking for a 10 shot 617 for steel, it sounds like your on to something good.

Mine is second hand, perhaps the gent that sold it to me can chime in, but it is pre-lock, the cartridges fall in and out very smoothly, and it didn't bind after 500 rounds with no cleaning in a single session, so it looks like you have to account for the usual manufacturing variance. I had the pleasure of showing it to my father today, and while his eyes are too far gone to use iron sights, I think he enjoyed seeing me hit a 8 oz plastic Coke bottle at 50 yards over and over, about 2 hits to every 1 miss. If I can figure out how to cock it quickly I'll definitely start shooting some bullseye with it.

H.

Mike,

is this a service you can offer?

I am looking for a 10 shot 617 for steel, it sounds like your on to something good.

Yes, I've done a bunch of them. There is info on my dealer forum, and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Mike fixed my cylender this winter and WOW what a diference it made. I hadn't hardly shot my 617 since last summer after my hand blooding experence at the 3DR. Now it loads easy, and unloads with having to beat the empties out. :surprise:

Am I the only one with a bad 17. It is the blued with a non steel cylinder. It is not good accuarcy wise. It will never hit where I aim....It does however hit where I am pointing. :blush: I just need to work on the action so I can get it to set off the cheap 22 rounds I get. Probably due to the firing pin and firing pin bushing being dirty. I sotpped just short of the 2 lb hammer driving it out to check. But when I have more time I'll get the 2 lb out and whack it a time or two. :blink: Later rdd

Bubber-

I have seen several that had the forcing cone and/or the muzzle crown off center. It is a simple hand tool operation to fix those. Usually that will fix most accuracy problems not related to lead buildup in the barrel.

Bubber-

I have seen several that had the forcing cone and/or the muzzle crown off center. It is a simple hand tool operation to fix those. Usually that will fix most accuracy problems not related to lead buildup in the barrel.

I think the better way for me is to put the sights on BEFORE I yank the trigger. When I do that it hits about right :devil: No lie me and my brother were shooting bugs off a piece of paper at 7 yard just for fun.