Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom STI Edge?

Wild Gene

I really Like the feel of the STI's. I won't get rid of the Glock 34, but my son is old enough he has expressed an interest in shooting with me. SO.....

I really like the STI, and plan on getting one that is semi-customized and my biggest question is do I go with the 5" or a 6" slide? Is there any disadvantage to the 6" that I can not think of? Would the longer slide limit the ability to use it for any class, disclipine or divisions? Is there some box out there that I am not aware of that it wouldn't fit into?

I do not feel I can go wrong with a nice STI for USPSA limited, but what about other games? I would get one in .40 S&W.

Your advice or suggestions are welcomed and encouraged.

Thanks in advance.

Gene

Well, an Edge is only sold as a 5" gun with a full dust cover. That's a very popular combination and one that wouldn't hold you back at all in Limited. If you decide to get a 6" gun, you're going to have to get it built for you or go with an STI Eagle 6.0. The Eagle is $2K and for maybe another $800 you could get a custom 6" gun built exactly the way you want, with better parts. If you decide to get a 6" gun, make sure it's from one of the smiths that has built more than a couple.

I have a 5" full dust cover gun now, but if I was having another Limited gun built it would be on a standard frame with a 6" slide and a bushing barrel. If it's made right a 6" gun won't weigh more than a 5" gun, has a longer sight radius that helps on harder shots and doesn't really lose anything anywhere else (for me). Some folks think the longer slide makes them slower to transition, but if the weight is the same I think the difference is going to be extremely small. Some of that will vary with the shooter's strengths (i.e. if your transitions are already good, you won't be giving up much, if anything). R,

A 6" pistol would give you a longer sight radius for better accuracy and extra velocity over a 5" gun. As for pistol selection, if you want to focus on Limited or L10 a 6" gun would be good. Most guys using a 6" gun use a bushing barrel and a lightened slide to keep the weight down for faster transitions. It really boils down to personal preference. It would be good if you can try out both 5" and 6" guns to see the strengths and weaknesses of both before you buy.

If you want to play in both USPSA Limited/L10 and IDPA, a 5" bushing barrel Eagle would be a good choice. I believe the 5" bushing barrel Eagle is legal in certain classes of IDPA. I don't think the Edge can be used in IDPA due to its weight and the bull barrel. Someone more knowlegable about IDPA can chime in. I run a 5" Edge in L10 but if I could do it over again I would probably use a tuned 6" Eagle with a lightened slide.

Thank you so far. My Cowboy guns were always 4-3/4" or 4.6", depending on the maker, version.

I wanted to add this, in general would I be better staying with which ever is similar in length to the G34?

I am not adverse to either length other than I want something that is going to "fit in", or should I say is in the norm, Ya know what I mean? Quality but not "Flashy". Anyway, I don't want to be showing up at the woodwind quartet with the susaphone..LOL!!...That is what being a Gary Larsen "FarSide" fan does to you...

I know I need to feel both, but sometimes my initial impressions are 180 from what is really best for the game. My best example is my initial set of Cowboy action revolvers. They were Bislye models, mainly because I have big hands, but they turned out being the worst choice I could have made.

Thanks,

Gene

Edited by Wild Gene

• 1 month later...

I tried someone elses six inch Edge and really liked it. However, I went with a 5 inch Edge and figure I can always try having a six inch slide fit later to try it out, until then.....I will "Mike" with the best of 'em!

if your interested in shooting different diciplines as well..i would go with an STI Eagle

or any S_I with a bushing barrel SDC..it will be soft enough for USPSA, with the bushing barrel it will be light enough and legal for Steel and IDPA.. B)

i dont think the 6" would fit pistol boxes for diff diciplines..

Edited by ogiebb

I shoot a basically stock STI Eagle 6" bull barrel, if I started over I would get a bushing barrel, the only reason I shoot a 6" gun is I cant find a 7" gun

If you are planing on doing IPSC...don't forget that you'll encounter the "Gun Box Rule".

The 5" Edge and Eagles from STI fit the box..the 6" I'm afraid not.

Remember, you can't break the rules...but you can bend them a lot.

Ciao.

On the Steel comment earlier, it isn't that it's not allowed because it is but you really want to watch your weight with Steel Challenge guns. However, I am getting ready to buy a 6 inch Bedell very soon. Good luck

I have both a custom 5" long wide dustcover limited gun with a bull barrel and a custom 6" short dustcover with a bushing barrel. I never shoot the 5" gun anymore. For me it was a obvious choice the first match I shot with one, but everyone is different.

One point that was brought up to me by an friend that is actually a pretty well know shooter is the "over forty eyes" syndrome. He felt that that extra inch really helped with sighting. I think it really would make a difference. Maybe a lot of the younger guys shoot the five inch guns, which I probably would have been fine with fifteen years ago, but I sure am not thirty any more.

I actually have put my name on the waiting list for a six inch gun from one of the custom gun guys.

Wg

One point that was brought up to me by an friend that is actually a pretty well know shooter is the "over forty eyes" syndrome. He felt that that extra inch really helped with sighting. I think it really would make a difference. Maybe a lot of the younger guys shoot the five inch guns, which I probably would have been fine with fifteen years ago, but I sure am not thirty any more.

I actually have put my name on the waiting list for a six inch gun from one of the custom gun guys.

Wg

+1 for WG.

I am over 60 and switching from 5" to 6" made a HUGE difference especially with accuracy shots. If you get a custom guy to build it right, it can actually be lighter and swing easier than a lot of the 5 " guns out there. If you are over 40 and shoot USPSA to me its a no brainer, the longer gun is better for you.

• 5 months later...

Bringing this back. I chuckle about how much I didn't know, and still do not about this game. I will even go so far as to say "I didn't know how much I didn't know, and still don't".

For me, the six inch is a no brainer now, but that is the most simple part of the solution. Next comes barrel selection, slide options, sights, levers, buttons, grip mods and the all important "gizmowatchathingies".

Simply stated, I know exactly what I want until I try something else. Part of this is the natural progression of becoming a better shooter, part of it is ( my own hypothesis here) the increased level of focus when trying something new.

Paramount above all else, I want a gun that works. When I press the trigger, I want a gun that goes bang, extracts the spent case, feeds a new round, and hits the intended target (if I do my part). I would rather go out with a 4.5" barreled, third world manufactured p.o.s. that functioned every time, than the fanciest gun on the squad that didn't work 10% of the time.

The rest is perfect practice.

Good shooting,

Geno