Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

Front of barrel lug to end of barrel = 10 5/16"

Pretty sure it's the +3 tube? either way the tube is 7 3/4" long without the nut

End of barrel to end of tube assembled = 9/16" a good thing when dropping off in barrels! this way the mag tube hits the bottom of the barrel not you $50 Briley choke tube.

Sorry been busy guys haven't been keeping up. Later,

Kirk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes +3 but I've got an awesome idea for you, call Nordic and talk to them. They are great and can answer any question you have and can get what your looking for. Remember the length of the tube is WITHOUT the nut on it! the overall length ASSEMBLED is 8.375" told ya I had the +3 ;) ok maybe I said pretty sure :blush: Later,

Kirk

I will say I'm still confused- a number must be off somewhere? Maybe the lug to end of barrel? You said 10 5/16 from barrel lug to end of barrel, but that a +3 at 8.375" is 9/16" longer than the barrel?

Am I missing something? Thanks

Just got my CZ 712 Utility, yesterday. I've got the Nordic +4 extension on order. It feels nice and I've been practicing my reloads and only getting my thumb caught when I try 2x load with support hand. I'm hoping that's just a training issue because I've just started. Also, I haven't shot it yet so I'm not going to do any modifications just yet, but two mods I think might be necessary are opening the gas ports, and adjusting the safety.

One question:

Are ya'll just using a 7/64 drill bit to ream out the gas ports? My understanding is that this is the size of the ports.

Thanks in advance :)

You'll end up getting the lifter welded :-)

Before you do any mods pick up a box of AA 2 3/4" dram #8 shot and see if shotgun runs, pay attention how far the hulls are thrown from the shotgun like just pop out and fall at your feet or they bounce off the guy standing in the next bay. Reason is I've heard some have found that unicorn the magical light recoil spring that CZ can't seem to find when you ask to get one >:-{ if it spits out those 2 3/4 drams as fast as you can pull the trigger you may not have to do any drilling or cutting.

Let us know how it goes. Later,

Kirk

Took my CZ out to the range for it's very first firing. Not the most successful. 1) I suck, 2) it still has some solid recoil, 3) it didn't cycle the military buckshot completely; just 'almost'.

The 1600fps Federal slugs were fine.....stout, but cycled fine.

The Winchester Military stuff would not quite eject the case. The bolt would come back and jam the empty hull on the leading lip of the chamber.

I think it's new (not broken in) and was dry. So, probably "operator error".

I used Briley extended oxide chokes, also (LM and F). Those are nice and fit very snugly. No play in them.

HiViz BirdBuster magnetic front sight added. Using the green triangular light tube.

Who can recommend a good recoil pad to add on without much work on the stock? Thanks.

Mine has had trouble with buck. Managed recoil and fiocchi buck it did the same thing yours did. I just don't run that stuff any more. I've tried federal slugs and while they cycle well, they don't group well.

Stout recoil??!! I'd never call the recoil on this gun stout. Maybe with 3" slugs, but then again I'm a pretty tall and not completely skinny anymore so that may help. I put on a pachmeyer pad. I had to drill one of the holes for one screw and used one of the existing holes. I did a poor job of trimming it down but I can't tell when shouldering and shooting. I can't remember which size I got, but I do remember measuring and ordering a slightly larger size and it need up not being wide enough.

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w

It's all about perception. :D

Being a pistol guy with no shotgun time for over 18 years, a 12 gauge of any variety is a more robust recoiling device than what I've been shooting.

I appreciate you recounting your experiences with buckshot. I wasn't expecting that when it happened.

Bird shot isn't allowed at my indoor range. Too many bozos have caused too much damage. Actually, they changed the range rules to slugs only, recently. But one of the staff said "you aren't an idiot so you can use buckshot." I'm a tactical pistol student of the co-owner, so that must mean something to them.

I could be shouldering the weapon wrong too. It's quite possible given my lack of shotgun experience. I'm fairly bony in the shoulder area so I need to pick my "spot" carefully.

I'm really an amateur pistol guy moving to 3 gun. I'll be scheduling some one-on-one training time with the co-owner. He was a police firearms instructor and SWAT member for many years. :ph34r: He should be able to straighten me out quickly and prevent me from teaching myself bad habits I would have to unlearn later!!

I have the Kick Eez pad and rather enjoy it :-) my problem was the stock was too short for my monkey arms and the shotgun was beating my cheek something aweful.

There are some mods you can perform to make that ejection of rounds much more reliable and if you have a Dremel your set ;) I just had a buddy over and we FIXED his spring we didn't drill out the gas ports yet as I'd rather him try the spring mod before we go to drilling out gas ports.

Don't fret on the recoil hell I still think mine kicks pretty good and even better when you forget to get that stock in the right place. Ya might lean into it a bit and pull it into your shoulder to take some of the snap out. You'll have to drill another hole as most pads won't line up just right with the stock hole locations but it's not a big task.

Mine has ate about everything I have fed it BUT those Fiocci slugs I shot 5 and got to fight each one as they must have liked my chamber and didn't want to come out LMAO.

There are some little tricks you can do to make your shotgun shoot about anything but the first thing I would offer is to pull everything apart and de-burr everything and polish up that mag tube and piston ID! it's a $400 shotgun they skimped on a few things when they made them. Good luck! Later,

Kirk

You'll end up getting the lifter welded :-)

Before you do any mods pick up a box of AA 2 3/4" dram #8 shot and see if shotgun runs, pay attention how far the hulls are thrown from the shotgun like just pop out and fall at your feet or they bounce off the guy standing in the next bay. Reason is I've heard some have found that unicorn the magical light recoil spring that CZ can't seem to find when you ask to get one >:-{ if it spits out those 2 3/4 drams as fast as you can pull the trigger you may not have to do any drilling or cutting.

Let us know how it goes. Later,

Kirk

Well, I'm not getting my thumb stuck anymore. I think it was just a practice issue.

My shotgun wouldn't run AA 2 3/4 dram #8. Out of the 20 I tried, it only cycled once, most just stayed in the chamber. No issues with Winchester Super X 3 1/4 dram #7 1/2, I shot over 40 of those. Federal Target Load 3 dram # 7 1/2 ran pretty smoothly but had a few hang ups, where the shell wouldn't fully eject. Next, I need to test some reduced recoil slugs.

Overall, I'm happy with this shotgun. I'll take your advice and deburr/polish before messing with the ports. :cheers:

Curious, has anyone tried the ati stock yet? I just picked up the 712 today, and I would like to add a recoil pad, but I am a little small so I fear that it may make the LOP too long. The price is a little high on that ati stock, though. I am also worried about the prongs on the lifter; it seems like it wants to grab my thumb, but I may not be using the correct technique to load. Has anyone put a side saddle on yet? I am not sure which one will fit. I am ordering the nordic +4 extension, and the williams fire sights today.

I had the chance to look at and talk with a friend yesterday who has one. I am interested because I want to find a good inexpensive shotgun for my son. My friend did a bit of work to his to make it workable for our sport. It did not pattern to point of aim and he was unhappy about that, Then the hammer broke. He did not mess with the trigger group, it just snapped. After much unsuccesful attempts to get cz to send the part, he finally sent the shotgun in for service. They replaced the entire shotgun against his wishes and is now having to start over again. I will be looking at other shotguns for my son.

They replaced the entire shotgun against his wishes and is now having to start over again.

That sucks. Not sure which way I'd go if I had to do it all over again or start from zero. I've got my eye on an 1100, but will have to wait until things are better with the $$$$. Considering I never got to finger bang a CZ before I bought it, I'm pretty stoked about it. I'd definitely want some hands on experience with whatever I decide to buy next.