Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling Bullets

Big Guy

Other than the bullets hitting the comp, is there other reason for bullets to tumble?

Crimp? Too much, too little?

Out of every ten rnds that I fire, two or three are tumbling. Checked the comp and saw no hits.

Edited by Big Guy

Other than the bullets hitting the comp, is there other reason for bullets to tumble?

Out of every ten rnds that I fire, two or three are tumbling. Checked the comp and saw no hits.

Detail? Bullet type? Load/powder OAL brass? Gun?

To much crimp can cause it...

Edited by JThompson

Bullet: MG 124 CMJ

Load: 7.9 g. IMR 7625

LOA: 1.22

Gun: .355 KKM barrel w/ Millenium Comp.

Edited by Big Guy

Bullet: MG 124 CMJ

Load: 7.9 g. IMR 7625

LOA: 1.22

Gun: .355 KKM barrel w/ Millenium Comp.

I have seen and owned a number of guns that tumble bullets.

The one thing all had in common....KKM barrels

Try a .356 bullet it may fix the problem

Jim

I've seen it with some of the 1-32 slow twist barrels.

Not sure if yours is a 1-32 or 1-16.

Might try a zero bullet or a .356 like Jim suggested and

see what happens.

Just got back from the range after trying out different loads.

Curiously, none of the 9mm (.355) MG 115s JHP that I shot today were observed to tumble. :)

I had previous tumbling issues with the MG 9mm 124 CMJ (round nose). If there any scientific reason why the .355 round nose bullets will tumble and the .355 JHP bullets will not? :blink:

Edited by Big Guy

I feel your pain!! i've had the same problem. since i can't find zero's anywhere i bought the big box of MG .355 124gn HP's.i don't really think they are tumbling but they look like they rip through the paper. shooting from 166 to 175 power factor. been trying to figure out what's going on ever since. i even have 1500 rds.of the same bullet loaded by someone else from a totally different batch that do the same thing. its not every one just every 8 or 10th one. i just went through 200 Hornady XTP's 124gn HP with no issues. ?????

I feel your pain!! i've had the same problem. since i can't find zero's anywhere i bought the big box of MG .355 124gn HP's.i don't really think they are tumbling but they look like they rip through the paper. shooting from 166 to 175 power factor. been trying to figure out what's going on ever since. i even have 1500 rds.of the same bullet loaded by someone else from a totally different batch that do the same thing. its not every one just every 8 or 10th one. i just went through 200 Hornady XTP's 124gn HP with no issues. ?????

What barrel are you shooting?

The longer the bullet, the more it needs to be spun at a given velocity to stabilize. FMJs are longer than JHPs - but it does depend on velocity as well. Faster reduces the amount of spin needed for a given length. Of course, the spin is imparted by the rifling twist rate.

Guy

Hello: Measure the diameter of the bullets you are using. What is the twist rate of your barrel 1:32 or 1:16? The 1:32 works better for lighter bullets like the 115's. Thanks, Eric

Just talked to the people at KKM and they confirmed that the 1:32 twist barrel was designed for the ligther bullets.

What barrel are you shooting?

i've got a KKM, maybe 6K rds through it.

Just got back from the range after trying out different loads.

Curiously, none of the 9mm (.355) MG 115s JHP that I shot today were observed to tumble. :)

I had previous tumbling issues with the MG 9mm 124 CMJ (round nose). If there any “scientific” reason why the .355 round nose bullets will tumble and the .355 JHP bullets will not? :blink:

The theory is that a JHP has more weight at the base. This stabilized the bullet in flight. CMJ (round nose) has very little weight difference form nose to base, allowing any slight unbalance to cause tumbling

if you wonder about twist:

http://www.schuemann.com/store/tabid/78/s-39-twist-rate.aspx

LISTEN TO THE MAN, HE MAKES BARRELS.....

Also how long have you had this problem?

your comp ports may not be open or true enough for your bullets to clear.........LOOKING FOR CLUES IN THE COMP MAY NOT SHOW THE PROBLEM

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROBLEM

Edited by revomodel10