Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good first gun for young starting junior?

I would really appreciate some recommendations on a good first gun for a 10 year old junior shooter (my son). He has shot my little Kahr PM9 which is DA only, and does okay with that. I am wondering if from a safety/ease of use standpoint a DA only gun might be a good choice for him? My thinking is that he wouldn't have to worry about engaging a safety, but only keeping his finger outside the trigger guard area when moving.

He can hold my full size 1911 style pistol with no problem.

If DA only is a good way to go I know the selection is pretty limited, but any recommendations would be really appreciated. For other than DA only I've thought that maybe a good used Sig 220 in 9mm might be worth considering. I've also thought that maybe a STI GP6C might be a good gun, and one that he and I could both use in the production class, though I'm not sure if the grip might be a little thick for his hands.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

What division does he want to start in?

Sig's have fairly big grips and a high bore axis. If he can hold your 1911, how about a 1911 in 9mm ( STI Spartan is really reasonably priced)? A steel gun while being heavier will also help control recoil. Would be able to shoot Single stack and limited 10 minor.

There is also the M&P line for Production with changeable back straps to help fit the grip to his hand.

How much are you looking to spend? I would say a Glock or an Smith and Wesson M&P would probably fill the bill. I am a Glock fan personally. Glock is durable, inexpensive and has virtually an unlimited supply of parts and reasonably priced accessories. I am seeing more and more accessories for the M&P every day though.

The M&P has the advantage of adjustable grip sizes, which you don't get with Glock unless you're willing to try to locate one of the new Gen 4's (jury is still out on them).

Both pistols are relatively easy to work on, with the nod going to Glock, which can be detail stripped and repaired by a monkey with autism. But again, Glock's don't fit everyone.

I would take him to a friendly gunshop with a good selection and try out several. Maybe you have a range nearby where you can rent a couple options? Don't overlook the Springfield XD's or a 9mm 1911 platform perhaps?

There are literally dozens of other options that would work well as a first gun.. but for the reasons above, not the least of which to me is price, I would go with one of the popular polymer flavors until he is sure he really wants to make a go of it.

How big is he? When my daughter was 13 she took the AP safety course with a Glock 34. She was almost 5 feet and 80 pounds so she was not the biggest kid but handled the gun well. Your sons physical size will play a part on how he deals with recoil and gun manipulation. My daughter has been shooting ICORE for the last 2 years (since she took the AP course) with a S&W model 627 8 shot with no problems.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice, that was fast!

My son is 5', 85lbs. He is a star quarterback (sorry to brag) and in really good physical shape. I would say his hands are pretty average sized.

I think the recommendation to take him to a gun shop and see what fits his hands the best is a good one. I guess a Glock is a great choice if they fit him well, for all of the reasons mentioned.

Budget is less of a consideration than finding something to fit him is. I think for simplicity something that he can use in the production class makes sense.

I would really appreciate some recommendations on a good first gun for a 10 year old junior shooter (my son).

Is this just for general shooting, or eventual use in competition? For general shooting, the Kahr K9 would be a nice choice for a smaller shooter, as would the T9. Both have smooth triggers and pretty small grips. Simple is good, so a DAO gun isn't a bad idea if the grip isn't too big.

For something he might eventually use in competition, I'd look at an M&P or one of the CZ series...both have smaller grips than the Glocks which are a little on the blocky side. That's not a knock on the Glocks (what I carry), but I know my wife absolutely hates the way Glocks feel and she's got tiny hands (5'2", 105lbs). R,

What do you shoot? You might consider starting him on the same platform you currently shoot. In addition to simplifying your maintenance/repair/upgrade routine, that would give you both a backup gun, and he may be more excited about shooting the same gun Dad shoots. Let him shoot that for a year and then pick a different platform once he's in a position to have an opinion.

I shoot a GP6 and love it... I have large hands. The trigger reach for the first DA shot may be a strech if his finger reach is not long. The DA is not heavy just longer than most revolvers. The Glocks are a great format and the new Gen 4 has a smaller gripframe than the olders guns.

Wow, you have no idea how much I appreciate the recommendations, thoughts and advice.

The USPSA competition shooting will be new to both of us. I am thinking for my first event I will probably use my Colt Officers Model 45. It's on the short side without a lot of magazine capacity, but I figured to start out I might as well shoot what I already have, and it's probably my most suitable pistol. My son hasn't shot my 45 yet, so I may have him shoot it and see how he does, and how he feels about it.

For his own gun, I would like to get something that is suitable for competition.

My mind is really reeling with all the possibilities for a new gun for myself for competition. If we can find something that both of us can shoot, I wonder if it would make sense for both of us to shoot the same gun? Maybe something like a Glock 34 if his hands fit it okay?

I kind of like the idea of an all metal frame for a youngster. It will pay huge dividends in the realm of recoil control. STI Spartan in 9mm would be my choice.

But, you did day you thought a DA only might be easier to learn and manipulate, so if that's a deciding factor, I would go with a G34.

BG

I am going to see how a Glock 34 fits for him today. I do like the idea of DAO only as it seems like one less step he has to concentrate on without having to engage a safety. From what I've been reading, it sounds like they are certainly widely used. The ten round magazines seem regularly available, which I assume makes things a bit easier for the production class? Or is it no big deal to use the larger capacity and just put 10 rounds in each one?

Looking at some used ones online it looks like I'm probably just as well off to get a new one from a price standpoint?

I am going to see how a Glock 34 fits for him today. I do like the idea of DAO only as it seems like one less step he has to concentrate on without having to engage a safety. From what I've been reading, it sounds like they are certainly widely used. The ten round magazines seem regularly available, which I assume makes things a bit easier for the production class? Or is it no big deal to use the larger capacity and just put 10 rounds in each one?

Looking at some used ones online it looks like I'm probably just as well off to get a new one from a price standpoint?

Get the full capacity mags - that will give you the option of shooting production or limited. Just starting out, you may find it helpful to have fewer reloads to worry about and focus on safety, accuracy, and stage strategy.

You may also want to consider the G35. You can load it with .40 minor to compete in Production, or load .40 major for limited. Since you already shoot a 1911, you shoud at least look at the M&Ps, which retain the same grip angle as the 1911 you're already used to.**

**assuming you don't do what I'd want to do, which would be to buy a pair of 1911s - .45 for me and 9mm for junior!

Edited by bbbean

I would go with an S&W M&P, probably a long or Pro for the increase in muzzle weight and sight radius. What is a really nice option, as others have stated, is the adjsutable grips sizes. At 10, there is still some growing that will be coming quickly and his hands will be getting larger. As for the recoil with a Poly model, I think at that age control will esily come with practice. A little grip tape or stippling and you'll be fine. Keep in mind if this is for competition there will be less weight on the belt. The M&P line does have a large square trigger guard so learning to keep that finger out of there is a must with small hands.

So much to think about and consider! This information is extremely helpful for us.

I just called my favorite local shop and they don't have a G34 in stock, but they have a G17, so I will be able to get an idea if the grip size and overall fit will work for my son. It sounds like I should take a look at the G35 too?

Am I making a bigger deal out of DAO than I should? It just seems to me that with quite a bit to think about and execute that not having to worry about engaging and disengaging a safety might be benefiticial?

Thanks for the info on the full capacity mags. I wasn't sure if they were allowed to be loaded with only 10 rounds or not, and couldn't tell for sure from reading the USPSA rules online.

I have a S&W M&P 9 that my daughter shoots. She is 11 and started with it when she was 10. Its very controllable for her and the small grip insert is a huge plus! She is not really fast yet but she can go one for one on the plate rack at 10 yards. She has tried my GLocks and just turned up her nose. She likes my Shadow custom but its way too heavy for her to control in transitions.

here is a video of her from the first day with her M&P

Edited by PCC-1

I think you shouldnt place too much worry about a safety.. i mean, its a safety, part of being safe. Learn to use it. Then when you buy him a S_I for his 18th birthday he'll be used to having one. :goof:

Get what fits him, manual safety or not.

That is some cool video. You must be very proud of her.

I agree with the feelings about a safety, and I have little doubt about him being able to utilize one, it just seems like starting out it might be one less thing to have to think about. Of course I guess maybe it's like learning to drive a manual transmission, you can easily drive an automatic, but not so much vice versa.

Off to check out some more guns online.

My 7 y.o. son uses my glock 17 and sometimes shoots it with 9mm. But mostly he uses it for his 22lr since i've outfitted it with Advantage Arms kit... What's important is SAFETY... You'll be amaze that it's a lot easier teaching kids than grownups... :sight:

Both you and your son would enjoy shooting glock. plus, you can fix your own gun to your liking.

Good Luck.

I couldn't wait for my son to get home from school, so I headed out to some local gunshops to poke around a little. One gun that I'd read a little about that I liked quite a bit was the XDM. Like the M&P's it comes with the three sizes of grips. The one thing I didn't like about it as well as the Glock 34 was that the rear sight isn't adjustable for elevation like the Glock's. In the production class you can't add adjustable sights to a gun that didn't come with them, can you? I did like the loaded chamber indicator, and the ease of disassembly was pretty easy too.

Nobody had an actual 34, so I ended up looking at 17's. One fellow told me that the new style Gen 4 grips are not available on the 34's yet, only the 17 and one other. Does anybody know if that's true? The new pattern on the Gen 4 17 that I looked at looked like a nice improvement over the Gen 3.

Any thoughts on the XDM?

I recommend a light polymer gun, NOT a 1911 for weight reasons. My son shoots a G34 (half the weight of a 1911). He started on his 9th birthday in Production. A G17 is just as good and probbly cheaper.

At my local club, there is a father and son pair that both began shooting with CZ75 SA in Limited Minor. They could share the spare mags and had a built in back up if they decided to send their gun in for trigger jobs. I think they also bought SPO01 mags so they could start 19+1.

With limited minor, recoil is not a huge deal and lot less reloads to execute during a course. That allowed the kid to focus on muzzle awareness and trigger control.

With a single action trigger, the kid only had to learn one trigger pull as well.

They did that for 3+ years. I think the Dad is now shooting a full sized 1911 and the kid stuck with the CZ platform in .40 to shoot Limited 10.

I couldn't wait for my son to get home from school, so I headed out to some local gunshops to poke around a little. One gun that I'd read a little about that I liked quite a bit was the XDM. Like the M&P's it comes with the three sizes of grips. The one thing I didn't like about it as well as the Glock 34 was that the rear sight isn't adjustable for elevation like the Glock's. In the production class you can't add adjustable sights to a gun that didn't come with them, can you? I did like the loaded chamber indicator, and the ease of disassembly was pretty easy too.

Nobody had an actual 34, so I ended up looking at 17's. One fellow told me that the new style Gen 4 grips are not available on the 34's yet, only the 17 and one other. Does anybody know if that's true? The new pattern on the Gen 4 17 that I looked at looked like a nice improvement over the Gen 3.

Any thoughts on the XDM?

In Production Division ;) you can add adjustable sights. I'd guess that there are more Production guns out there with fixed sights than adjustable. Pretty much any of the guns mentioned you can drift the rear sight for windage corrections and while it may require a front sight swap (taller or shorter), once you have the elevation where you want it, you don't really need to mess with it even if you make minor changes to your load/ammo. R,