Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open: What Power Scope do you use?

Mark K

I would forget about the Red Dot and get a good 1-4.

Thanks, John. I can understand that, but at our last 3-gun match (that you were not at) we had those little micro poppers (like 8" tall and 2" wide) set out at 100yds, and I did not feel like 4x was enough.

That said, when scope(s) would you recommend?

A good 1-4 :roflol:

I shoot an IOR 1.1-4 and I have not seen a target yet that I didn't have enough power to hit in a 3-gun match (even those evil little plates Ronnie likes to set out at 100 yards). I think a higher power scope would be tough to use with a timer running and under match conditions. I know I have enough trouble holding a 4X still.

I've shot open 3-gun for many years. In my opinion it's much faster to have a side dot for close up targets even with my 1-4 meopta. My current set-up is a Burris 1.5-6 with a Burkett side-mounted Docter. The Burris fast fire that I have on my shotgun is every bit the dot that the Docter is for a lot less money if you can even find Docters. Where the side dot really shines is when your running, zig-zagging down a course of fire with targets up close. Yesterday at the range I was shooting the side dot at 50 and 100 yards and was even thinking that the dot is faster at those ranges.

For what it's worth,

Dusty

For an Open rifle I'd generally go with a 6/7X top end.

I have a Fullfield II 2-7 with the Ballistic Ples reticle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=817249

The Fullfield II is a decent entry-level scope for Open with hold overs.

For Open rifle I currently use a 1.5-6X USO SN4 with a Fastfire on the handguard.

I shoot an IOR 1.1-4 and I have not seen a target yet that I didn't have enough power to hit in a 3-gun match (even those evil little plates Ronnie likes to set out at 100 yards). I think a higher power scope would be tough to use with a timer running and under match conditions. I know I have enough trouble holding a 4X still.

Silly me, Of course you recommend a $1100 scope For my $1100 gun. Geez John!!!

Silly me, Of course you recommend a $1100 scope For my $1100 gun. Geez John!!!

I don't know where you saw one for $1100 but I would RUN from that store! Cactus Tacticle has them for quite a bit less. http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/valdada-rifle-scope-cqb-reticle-p-879.html

Buy the best glass you can afford. Pay once, cry once.

It was SWFA, I did not really shop around. Yeah, $875 is SO much better.....money bags. :roflol:

Thanks for your input, though. Seriously.

One of my main issue is that I am just finishing up my .300 whisper upper, and so will now need to have optics on two uppers - the normal 20" barrel .223, and the 16" suppressed .300 upper. I have a rather inexpensive 3x9 that is generally fine, but the 3x is not so good for the CQB stages. I may just live with that scope, but add my Fastfire II on the handguard since I would not really be shooting out past 200yd with a subsonic 220gr round, and then do something totally different on the 223 upper.

I will probably thrash this around with you, and Tod, etc at next weekend's match if you come down our way.

There are several oft repeated choices for 1-4s (seems like a thread pops up on that at least once a week). I like one that is day light illuminated true 1x on the bottom end and that will take a cat-tail/power lever. My choice is the Meopta K-Dot, other choices in that arena would be something like the Trijicon accupoint 1-4. With either of these scopes, for me at least, they are just about as fast as an EOTech on up close targets.

If I lived somewhere with more distance I'd probably be looking at a Burris XTR 1.5x6 like the one mentioned above.

It was SWFA, I did not really shop around. Yeah, $875 is SO much better.....money bags. :roflol:

One of my main issue is that I am just finishing up my .300 whisper upper, and so will now need to have optics on two uppers - the normal 20" barrel .223, and the 16" suppressed .300 upper. I have a rather inexpensive 3x9 that is generally fine, but the 3x is not so good for the CQB stages. I may just live with that scope, but add my Fastfire II on the handguard since I would not really be shooting out past 200yd with a subsonic 220gr round, and then do something totally different on the 223 upper.

I will probably thrash this around with you, and Tod, etc at next weekend's match if you come down our way.

HAHA! I'm pretty sure Tod shoots one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479160-REG/Swarovski_59136_1_6x24_Z6i_Riflescope_Matte.html#specifications

I will be there next weekend. I'll bring my rifle if you want to look through the scope.

HAHA! I'm pretty sure Tod shoots one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479160-REG/Swarovski_59136_1_6x24_Z6i_Riflescope_Matte.html#specifications

I will be there next weekend. I'll bring my rifle if you want to look through the scope.

No, thanks though, I am looking in the average man price range, so looking though your scope would be just like setting in the car at the Ferrari dealer ship......... it ain't gonna happen.

I am also using a 1.1-4 IOR Valdada. It is an excellent 3 Gun scope and does away with the need for the dot for close range targets. I purchased this scope and another from Cactus Tactical. Good people to deal with, excellent customer service.

i got a leupold CQ/4, and its damned near perfect for what we do out here(8 inch plates out to 350 yrds) no problem seein em, and then you dial it down to 'no' power for the squirt rifle as a pistol stages, who needs to add another optic??? plus for me the cant on the rifle, using a secondary red dot,kept dropping hot rifle brass on top of me...

dont wanna drop the coin??(an who does???) the burris/millet for under 300, and leupold makes a 1-4x in a vari-x II for around 300

I USED to run a 1-4 on my open rifle, but, found several targets that I had trouble picking up with only 4 power on the top end. I'd have to look, but, I think I have a 2-10 on it now. For the close, hoser, targets, I use the dot, not the scope.

Although people get the desire for more power thinking that seeing the target bigger in the scope equates to hitting it easier, remember that as power goes up serious concessions are made with respect to FOV and exit pupil. If you have to come up off the gun and out of the scope to find the target because your FOV is too small to locate the target, what good did the extra power get you. For the vast majority of folks 1-4 gets the job done very well. At most I would consider a 1.5-6 (wishing for a true 1-6) but much more than that and I think you are really pushing the line for diminishing returns. Feel free to go bigger, but know that it will make you slower.

If you think about it there were plenty of irons guys who hit the 600 yd bonus target last year at RM3G...1x was apparently enough. ;)

Edited by smokshwn