Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to make Dummy rounds

Shezer

I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything. I've got a bunch of spent brass and i'd like to make some dummy rounds for doing dry fire/mag changes with. Anyone ever done this without reloading equipment? Is it as simple as press a bullet in and check the Over all Length? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

My dummy loads are the same as my regular loads but put together without primers and powder. I keep them in a seperate bag in a completely different location from any live ammunition.

I don't know if you could put dummy rounds together without a press.

Back when I didn't have a press, I did this:

1. Pull bullets. Buy a cheap $15 hammer-type bullet puller so you can remove w/o damage. Dump out all the powder.

2. Head out to the range and load the empty cases one by one, fire the primers.

3. Hold the slide closed - there will be almost no force behind it. Slowly cycle the slide and catch the empty.

WARNING: Ignore the voice in your head saying "just a primer won't be that loud... I'll try it at home."

Don't ask how I know this.

4. The cases will not have expanded due to the total lack of pressure. Drill a very short divot into a 2x4 the right size for the nose of your bullet. Stat the bullet into the case by hand, flip it over into the 2x4, and tap the brass back into place very carefully over the end of the bullet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've learned two things since then.

1. Loading dummy rounds on my 650 is vastly superior. In every possible way.

2. Action Trainer plastic dummy rounds are surprisingly cheap.

Find some way to make these rounds very obvious. Mine got a FAT black sharpie band all the way around the case, up near the mouth. I always dryfire in the same room. Dummy rounds never leave that room, and live ammo never enters it. I still check for empty primer pockets on each dummy round loaded with a real bullet and brass before loading it into a mag. This is one place where orange plastic bullets are better - they're tougher to mix up.

If there are guys who load in your circle of friends, off one some $$$ to load dummy rounds on a real press.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

At least on a 1911/2011 with a extra long FP, it is possible for the FP to protrude into an empty primer pocket and jam, thus locking up the gun after dry firing (don't ask me how I know this). I suggest leaving the spent primer in the pocket.

+1 to clearly marking dummy rounds (mine are a nice MarksALot Red) and keeping them clear of live ammo - also consider using a marked, dedicated magazine (that you should still compulsively check before loading into the gun).

If you're desperate, you can push bullets into fired cases using a bench vise (I've done it). It's easier with a bevelled base bullet and unsized brass, though, with the latter, the fit might be too loose. Much easier with a press to size the brass first.

Depending on the model gun, you can get solid plastic magazines weighted to be equivalent to a loaded standard magazine.

Kevin

splng edt

Edited by kevin c

To keep my dummy rounds noticeable I drill a hole in the side of the case..

As for the primer pocket a bit of firm rubber(pencil eraser or gasket material)

cut to fit solid will save firing pins.. Still keep them separate from live ammo

so there are no mistakes..

For a non reloader one of the original(hammer operated)Lee reloader kits might be

found at tag sales or gun shows for almost nothing..One of these will make good

dummy's and just might create enough interest to really try reloading..

I started with a Lyman tong tool almost 50 years ago..Most of my guns have never

seen a factory round of ammo..

I use dummy rounds in the mags, but keep a snap cap in the chamber, so I don't have to worry about damage to the firing pin.

Its a lot easier for you IPSC guys than IDPA shooters. When I work on slide-lock reloads they all go through the chamber one by one, and wind up all over the bed I stand behind.

Practicing for a USPSA match is so much easier in comparison. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Consider buying some of these:

p_729050022_2.jpg

I've used home made dummy rounds for just the reasons you mentioned and I always have a little tingle in the back

of my neck, what if I screwed up. These eliminate that problem.

Link to brownells page:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=355/Products/Inert_Training_Ammunition

these also function as a snap cap.

Finally, you can load them into the mag with real rounds to simulate failures during live fire.

Edited by dcmdon

Consider buying some of these:

p_729050022_2.jpg

I've used home made dummy rounds for just the reasons you mentioned and I always have a little tingle in the back

of my neck, what if I screwed up. These eliminate that problem.

Link to brownells page:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=355/Products/Inert_Training_Ammunition

these also function as a snap cap.

Finally, you can load them into the mag with real rounds to simulate failures during live fire.

The problem with these is that they don't simulate the real weight of a loaded magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

Back when I didn't have a press, I did this:

1. Pull bullets. Buy a cheap $15 hammer-type bullet puller so you can remove w/o damage. Dump out all the powder.

2. Head out to the range and load the empty cases one by one, fire the primers.

3. Hold the slide closed - there will be almost no force behind it. Slowly cycle the slide and catch the empty.

Is there a reason you leave the spent primer in? I'm preferring to know the round cannot go anywhere by seeing no primer when I handle it, and that way I also don't get a live round mixed in with the box I have labeled "dummies" where I see all rounds with no primers.

I have a few dummy rounds for each caliber and at least once a month I take what is a round with no primer and no powder and I'll toss down 9 rounds at the range and include it for 10. I'll mix them up and load the magazine quickly so I don't find myself trying to guess which one it is. They say the loudest sound in the world is "click". Since one of my guns is an HK with the LEM trigger I am training my first reaction to be to squeeze a second time. After that failure to fire I know that I need to rack the slide ASAP as that round is simulating a dud in real life.

Anyone see anything wrong with this at the range? It's not a dry-fire routine, but rather a "get back in the game/fight" routine as I'm not working on a FTF or a FTE but a potential ammo issue.

TIA,

Walsh

I have a few dummy rounds for each caliber and at least once a month I take what is a round with no primer and no powder and I'll toss down 9 rounds at the range and include it for 10. I'll mix them up and load the magazine quickly so I don't find myself trying to guess which one it is. They say the loudest sound in the world is "click". Since one of my guns is an HK with the LEM trigger I am training my first reaction to be to squeeze a second time. After that failure to fire I know that I need to rack the slide ASAP as that round is simulating a dud in real life.

Anyone see anything wrong with this at the range? It's not a dry-fire routine, but rather a "get back in the game/fight" routine as I'm not working on a FTF or a FTE but a potential ammo issue.

TIA,

Walsh

The possible problem I see is that if you get a squib load and you react the same way you could put a live round down a barrel with a stuck bullet and blow up your gun. I guess you need to evaluate the risk vs. reward.

Mike

TIA,

Walsh

The possible problem I see is that if you get a squib load and you react the same way you could put a live round down a barrel with a stuck bullet and blow up your gun. I guess you need to evaluate the risk vs. reward.

Mike

I'm trying to think of what I'm not following that could be problematic in what I'm doing. If I make the dummy round there will be no squib round as there is no primer and no powder. I'm going to assume that round will not leave the brass in an eternity in that position. If shooting in a competition and you get one from a live round it's probably going to be as hard to not squeeze that next round, "if" you hear something not right, as stopping your golf swing 6" towards the ball. My understanding has always been that if you are target shooting and catch a squib round you did great. But that your chances of noticing one in competition, since I've seen one in 25 years+ of shooting, is that you are just plain screwed.

BTW, all of this, in training, assumes you are acting as taught to get back in the game and not stopping. With a FTF or FTE I've never been told to try to check the barrel for a round in it.

Walsh

Edited by walsh

If you just need the weight and not individual dummy rounds you can just take the spring and follower out of a magazine and stick the appropriate weight of lead in the magazine. Dummy magazines are available though I can't remember where to get them.

If you just need the weight and not individual dummy rounds you can just take the spring and follower out of a magazine and stick the appropriate weight of lead in the magazine. Dummy magazines are available though I can't remember where to get them.

I'm not sure who you were responding to. In my case, I want rounds so while shooting I have to practice cleaning a round that didn't fire.

Walsh

I'm trying to think of what I'm not following that could be problematic in what I'm doing. If I make the dummy round there will be no squib round as there is no primer and no powder. I'm going to assume that round will not leave the brass in an eternity in that position. If shooting in a competition and you get one from a live round it's probably going to be as hard to not squeeze that next round, "if" you hear something not right, as stopping your golf swing 6" towards the ball. My understanding has always been that if you are target shooting and catch a squib round you did great. But that your chances of noticing one in competition, since I've seen one in 25 years+ of shooting, is that you are just plain screwed.

BTW, all of this, in training, assumes you are acting as taught to get back in the game and not stopping. With a FTF or FTE I've never been told to try to check the barrel for a round in it.

Of course I am not worried about your dummy round going off. My concern is strictly for training to clear a bad round and shoot another one as fast as possible. In a gunfight I think that would be a good thing to train for. However, in my mind, I'm not convinced it's a good thing to train for in a shooting game. I would rather try to eliminate any bad rounds through quality ammo and probably take more time and try to be more careful to not blow my gun up if I did have a malfunction. You make a good point about possibly not being able to catch it anyway with guys that pull the trigger multiple times in a second. However, if a squib round doesn't jack another round into the chamber, and I don't think it would, it might be best to give up a few seconds to evaluate what happened before proceeding. Just my thoughts, but I'm new to this game and other opinions may vary!

Mike

What I do:

If you dont already have a press buy one or find someone who does. Ive found that 'dummy' rounds still have to be resized to chamber effectively every time.

Run an empty case through the resizing die.

Flip the case on end so the primer pocket is facing up.

Squirt RTV silicone (this stuff) in the primer pocket and smooth even to the back of the case with a buisnes card or something.

Allow to dry. Use a razor blade to trim any excess and make the back of the case smooth.

One dry put a bullet in the case using the bullet seating die and you're set.

You'll know straight away if its a live round or not just by looking at the back of it. :cheers:

For my dummies, I:

1. Resize the cases

2. Fill the primer pockets with RTV. I've trimmed an eraser too, but the RTV is easier. Maybe not necessary for the firing pin, but can't hurt.

3. Fill the case with tumbler media to prevent bullet setback. Again probably not necessary, but can't hurt.

4. Seat and crimp a bullet of a different type than I usually use.

5. Mark the cases with red Sharpie in the rim groove.

I keep them in dedicated magazines that I use for nothing but mag change practice.