Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heard On "myth Busters"

Flexmoney

Every time I watch Myth Busters I wonder if Adam is Erik Warren's long lost brother? Not only is there the physical resemblance in appearance, speech and attitude, they both like blowing stuff up or melting it to the ground. :P

We need to invite these Bay Area boys to an IPSC match! What are some good IPSC myths that need investigation? Is the IPSC El Presidente better than the IDPA El Prez? Are 1911's better than Glocks? Can modern shooters actually hit the targets? Oh sorry I forgot we've already got American HandDumber!

I love the show, but I do have mixed feelings about the show's name Myth Busters.

Nolan sMyth :D

OK which one is Adam? The big guy or the smaller guy? I saw part of one episode today where they were simulating urinating on an electric third rail, using real urine. The last episode I saw they were eating poppy seed cake and using a drug testing kit on their urine to detect opiates. Seems somebody has a potty fetish.

Those guys have one of the best jobs in the world; blow stuff up and get paid to do it. Although when they stuck the two pig carcasses in the corvette and sealed it up for awhile to see if they could get the stink out....

The Pigs in the Corvette had me doubting thier sanity.. what a waste of money. Took a nice $15K car and reduced it to ??? They could have done it with a Yugo, with the same results..

Shooting the dummy out of the culvert was cool though...

Ahhh...but part of the myth is that someone will buy a Corvette irregardless of the smell. And, that part was true...some twit paid them $2K for the stinkmobile. I wouldn't give you $2 for a brand new Yugo. So, they kind of had to. They did say the Vette had 250K miles on it so it may not have been in all that great a condition to start with. Besides, it was a "newer" model Vette. It isn't like they did it with a 50s or 60s vintage Vette. ;)

I think "Buster" the dummy needs to be nominated for an Emmy. Talk about giving your all.

The log cannon was cool but I really wonder where that cannon ball landed. They way they kept showing it, downtown SF was in the line of fire. And even if it was going to fall short and land in the bay there are usually a lot of boats out there.

I got kinda grumpy during the "magic bullet" segment. Their firearms safety skills left more than a little to be desired.

I got kinda grumpy during the "magic bullet" segment. Their firearms safety skills left more than a little to be desired.

A lot of their safety skills leave a lot to be desired, that's what makes the show so damn funny sometimes. Adam usually is the one that takes it on the chin or head like in the Cell phone Gas Station fire episode where he burnt off an eyebrow, most of the hair on one arm and singed most of the hair on his head. Been there, Done that!

Awesome, next they are going to take on the B.S. myth of "explosive decompression" of an aircraft by a bullet...

Link

MythBusters

Explosive Decompression

Jamie and Adam shoot a bullet hole into the shell of an aircraft to see if that single shot will cause explosive decompression and destroy the aircraft. Find out if two hunters could use a loaded .22 gun cartridge as a car ignition fuse.

By the way, there isn't the slightest resemblance!

meet_adam.jpg

Adam

scream_3.jpg

Erik

Edited by Erik Warren

Erik,

I can figure out the only difference between "Adam" and your "portrait" ( :D ) is that the former hasn't already broken his sights, while your portrait must have been painted a few moments after the last rear sight failure (hence "the scream"...)

:lol::lol::lol:

:P

I should wear a white lab coat and big black-frame glasses to the next match. Maybe build a Myth Busters stage.

I must admit my forehead is growing almost as big as Adam's. :(

Alright! I'll dress up as "Buster"

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the one about the myth that a gun fired in an airplane causes explosive decompression and will suck people and out the hole. First, Jamie bought a 9mm handgun. In CA. Very cool. (9mm singlestack that looked vaguely SiGish?) Then he rigged up a remote firing system to fire it from within their 8 psi pressurized cabin of a DC9 in the Mojave parking lot.

First shot (FMJ) into the fuselage, nothing but a slow depressurization. The hole did not enlarge. Not even the packing foam peanuts in the cabin were sucked to the hole. Patched it up and repressurized. Next shot through the window, same results. Then they brought in a pyrotechnician who rigged a window to blow out. The decompression only sucked out the crash test dummy's arm and tore his shirt. Finally, the pyro brought a shaped charge that vaguely resembled a pleated air filter. WTF? From what I know of shaped HE charges, his 6" diameter cone should focus the energy on a small area and bore a hole, like a HEAT anti-tank round. He put it on the intersection of some fuselage spars. When he detonated it, the top half of the fuselage, about six rows of seats long, was blown off. It looked exactly like that Aloha Airlines 737 that had structural failure decompression several years ago.

Another myth they tested was about using .22 cartridges as fuses in a truck. After getting the first one to pop, Jamie says, "That's gunpowder... I recognize that smell."

I think Jamie is one of us.

I'm with Nolan, I was wondering the same thing, long last brother or have you found a job?

The show is local, maybe you could do some stunt double work for them.

Hey Erik, wear thick frame shooting glasses this weekend and we'll see just how much of a resemblence there is. I'll take a pic and post it.