Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Are The Characteristics Of The Perfect Range?

I would like everyone's opinion of what makes a perfect range. If you know of a range that you consider "perfect" please tell us where it is and what makes it perfect to you. If it isn't perfect what else does it need? I'm really looking for features of ranges and not locations. I know that a range with the perfect climate is always desired but some things we just can't control. (Yet!)

Thanks

Jason,

My wish list is :

Good footing, no ankle twisting holes or slippery gravel.

Sunrise to sunset access, or long hours indoors. 7 days a week .

No freakin speed limits, I get real irritated that I have no range nearby where I can shoot at what, for me, is normal speed. IE: as fast as I can get good hits.

A place to wash hands after practice.

Travis F.

Avg bay: 50 yds x 25 yds

Big bays: 75-100 yards x 75 yards

Nighttime Bay Lighting.

Noise Baffles of some variety to avoid noise complaints.

Indoor plumbing.

Covered areas with seating at every bay.

Bays all graded so that water runs toward the back berm and *out* of the bay via drains.

Bays covered with nice, raked cinders.

Secure passcard automatic gate access.

No range Nazis.

Lush, green landscaping with mucho trees. Idiots who chop down the trees get publicly castrated.

Paths between the bays are either well-graveled or cinders.

A nice trash can at every bay.

Prop storage, either fenced area or shipping containers.

Trailer and 4 wheeler to haul props and steel.

Clubhouse(s) strategically located with eating areas.

Must haves:

1. Grass, Grass and lots of Grass. NO gravel, dirt or chat bays

2. EASY access to stage equipment, I hate hauling big barricades or walls

500 feet.

3. LOTS of shade.

4. Soda machine or Bottled Water

5. Plenty of places to sit

6. Air Conditioning in the Summer when the match is over.

Adequate parking which doesn't involve needing a 4x4 to get into or, more importantly, out of.

"Caddies" to shag brass after practice sessions and to tote range bags at matches; which I assume is why Jake and 3QT want strippers...right? ;)

Rifle range out to 1200 meters with lighting at each berm all the way out.

Enough bays, with steel, props, target stands, plate racks, etc. so there isn't any waiting to practice and you can work on what you need to work on.

Video surveilance of the entire range to catch morons and discontinue their access via the card key system immediately.

A decent clubhouse complete with at least vending machines and comfortable chairs. Wouldn't hurt to have a large TV and a VCR & DVD player with a full library of training videos for those "how the heck did Matt do that again?" moments when working on something new or just for those times when the wife doesn't feel like watching the training videos again. ;)

All the ideas are great. I think a layout in a horseshoot or inverted "U" shape would be ideal. It would provide access in the center to all the amenities that have been mentioned and could include the trees and bathrooms too (of course those two items would be separate :D )

dj

Thanks to all who have offered an opinion. Keep them coming!

EricW:

I'm assuming you meant 50 yards and 100 yards deep, respectively?

Rufus the Bum:

I love the idea of a range with grass in the bays. I've only ever shot at one and I wonder how difficult it is to keep the grass intact. You would have to find some grass that could stand a lot of wear and tear and without excessive water.

kimel:

I'm not sure how much a 1200 meter range would be used. From what I've seen the vast majority of shooters never go further than the 200 meter mark.

I must admit the thought of strippers would have never occured to me. Can't say I would complain though!

A wooded area with multiple paths for "jungle runs" is always good.

Modern, indoor plumbing with handicapped access is a must.

Bays arranged within close proximity, or accomodate some sort of transportation.

Have a few bays with pavement/concrete. Easy access for disabled shooters and makes collecting brass a lot easier.

Enough width and length in the bays to accomodate 3-gun shooting. Have at least one that is a several hundred yards long for rifle.

Overhead cover and seating at each bay.

Plate racks, other steel, and target stands that can be left in the bay so people can use them between matches.

Mover and other props for NRA Action Pistol.

Strippers would be nice but I think that my concentration would not be on the target when I needed to shoot. I dont like the fact of grass in the bays because, it would be hard to find brass. I do like the idea of overhead cover and seating at each bay.

Thanks to all who have offered an opinion. Keep them coming!

EricW:

I'm assuming you meant 50 yards and 100 yards deep, respectively?

Exactamundo.

==================

And I almost forgot, if there is a rifle range, 1/3 or more of the firing must be NOT have benches so that people can fire from position. (Last one to the range? Don't like having to actually shoot your rifle like a rifle for change? Tough.)

Must haves:

1. Grass, Grass and lots of Grass. NO gravel, dirt or chat bays

Grass sucks when its wet. Grass sucks when its 8 inches high and you can't find your brass. Grass sucks when you can't see that pothole that your about to bust your ankle in. Grass is cool because your mags dont get full of dust. Grass is cool when someone takes care of it.

The one thing I think none of you mentioned is the ability to shoot a full 180 into the side berms. The clubs I normally shoot at , all shots must impact the back berm.

Heck, a "perfect" range should have at least one bay that is completely surrounded by berms for 360 degrees when the need arises.

And an indoor range somewhere on the grounds would be cool too, both to beat the weather as well as to have low light and no light scenarios for matches and training.

Lots of good ideas posted already. I'd like to add:

Clear signage directing folks to all areas of the range. I go to lots of ranges alone for the first time, and it's often a pain to find the (too-frequently) hidden IPSC bays.

Web pages with basic range info presented clearly. Where, when, what. It doesn't need to be updated every week, just have good directions and accurate start times for events, and current contact numbers.

Stocked first aid kit available. Sunscreen and bug spray available too. Cheap eye and ear protection for visitors.