Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me out of Dillon

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Corey, great talking with you the other day while you were "on the job". The micrometer metering insert came and is installed and working great.

I received my LNL last week and it's up and running. I'm impressed by it's design, quality and function. From a couple of experiences with Hornady customer service, it seems really, really good. I had originally ordered the pistol micrometer directly from Hornady as everyone else was listing it as out of stock. It turns out that Hornady was out of stock as well, it just didn't show that on their website when I ordered. When I found that you guys had them in stock I ordered from you and canceled my order with Hornady. They sent an email apologizing that they were out of stock and hoped it didn't cause an inconvenience. They were kind enough to send me a cool free hat, which I thought was awesome. It also turned out that the can of one shot cleaner and dry lube that I ordered with the press was faulty, no propellant or something. I sent Hornady an email and they sent out a replacement can the same day. Seems as though they genuinely care about delivering a high quality of customer service.

I've reloaded about 500 9mm on the LNL so far and there have been no surprises. It functions great and makes cranking out quite a bit of high quality, consistent ammo pretty easy. Like a lot of things, I believe there is more than one great choice available when looking for a progressive press. This one fits my needs well and I'm happy with my decision so far.

Edited by drysideshooter

• 2 months later...

This is a great thread. I'm in the market for a progressive as well, and I've come to the same conclusion as some of the posters here to skip the 550 and go 650, if going the Dillon route.

Is the 650 really that painful to use without a case feeder? I'd like to save the case feeder for later, and maybe actually make my own for a fraction of the cost.

This is a great thread. I'm in the market for a progressive as well, and I've come to the same conclusion as some of the posters here to skip the 550 and go 650, if going the Dillon route.

Is the 650 really that painful to use without a case feeder? I'd like to save the case feeder for later, and maybe actually make my own for a fraction of the cost.

If you get the 650, definitely get the Casefeeder with it. If you don't, you'll wish you had it about every 20 or so rounds, when you have to stop loading to fill up the tube.

More here:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

be

If you get the Hornady LnL AP, you can work without the case feeder. I did it for about 3 months before getting the casefeeder, which helped spread out the up-front expense. The left hand places a new case in the shell plate, and then goes back for the bullet and places bullet on case to be seated. Right hand stays on the crank handle. It is workable and "rhythmic."

The Hornady case feeder costs twice what the Dillon does, and the Dillon is bit more refined, so I'd probably just hit the whole deal if going Dillon. There is no way I'd buy a new Dillon press from anyone other than Brian Enos.

I have more experience on both of these presses now than I did when starting. I remain of the opinion that there are desirables in both, and that the price difference is currently less than $200, and that appeal of individual features is the difference. If starting over from zero, I really could go either way.

And I would still start with a progressive rather than a damn single stage.

Edited by ben b.

The Hornady case feeder costs twice what the Dillon does, and the Dillon is bit more refined, so I'd probably just hit the whole deal if going Dillon. There is no way I'd buy a new Dillon press from anyone other than Brian Enos.

WRONGO! Hornady case feeder is about $50-$60 more than Dillon 550/650. They both operate on the same principle. Both work as advertised, Both feed cases.

I stand partially corrected, Mr. WRONGO!

The Dillon has moved up in price, & Dillon & our host list at $212 and it comes with a feeder plate.

Hornady lists at $439. Midsouth has it for $320, Midway has it for $296. None come with a feeder plate. The feeder plates are around $30. Using my math skills for Midways prices, that comes to a difference of $114. Which is less than half, but about double the $50-$60 you report. Do you have a better source?

The Dillon has adapted drop tubes for delivering the case to the case slide area. The Hornady has large & small (diameter, and pistol cases are prone to tipping. You can make a tube extender, which I've done}. The Dillon seems to hang up a bit less than the Hornady when dropping from the bowl into the tube. I think the Dillon works a bit better.

I have had a 650 since 2000. It started crushing primers so I called tech services and they started sending parts untill it was fixed at no cost to me.The last time they sent me the whole upper mechanism for the shell plate and told me if this didn't fix it send it in and they would rebuild at no charge,I have not paid for "1" broken part in 10 years including a burnt up case feeder motor that I burnt up my self and I told them I burnt it up. I hav owned a 550 and a 1050 also with the same warranty

This is an example of why Dillon is number 1.... my experience over the last 20 years in dealing with Dillon presses has lead me to the conclusion that there are alternatives but not equals.

Mike Dillon has me as a customer for life (mine that is !)

I stand partially corrected, Mr. WRONGO!

The Dillon has moved up in price, & Dillon & our host list at $212 and it comes with a feeder plate.

Hornady lists at $439. Midsouth has it for $320, Midway has it for $296. None come with a feeder plate. The feeder plates are around $30. Using my math skills for Midways prices, that comes to a difference of $114. Which is less than half, but about double the $50-$60 you report. Do you have a better source?

The Dillon has adapted drop tubes for delivering the case to the case slide area. The Hornady has large & small (diameter, and pistol cases are prone to tipping. You can make a tube extender, which I've done}. The Dillon seems to hang up a bit less than the Hornady when dropping from the bowl into the tube. I think the Dillon works a bit better.

Brian's store sells the 550 Dillon case feeder for $244.95. Man Venture Outpost, http://www.manventureoutpost.com/, sells the Hornady case feeder for $252.20 PLUS an additional $23.76 for a shell feed plate. That's a total of $275.76. Using my math skills; Let's see, $275.76 minus $244.95 equals $30.81 :sight:

Yep, the Hornady case feeder IS $30.81 MORE than the Dillon. That's a LONG way from being "double the price of a Dillon".

So I guess we are both wrong. My $50-60 estimate is too high and your "Double the price" estimate would seem to be a little high as well.

Also, The 550 case feeder ONLY WORKS WITH SMALL PISTOL AND LARGE PISTOL CASES. The Hornady feeds all pistol and rifle cases, both large and small. Of course you have to buy the appropriate case plate, just like you would with a Dillon

Mr. WRONGO!!

Edited by Waldog

leave the hornady fans alone. they have enought frustrations as it stands. ford people like fords, chevy people like chevys, dodge people are nutty. I recall Brian was into datsuns once uppon a time. "Variety is the spice of life"- Dave Menk

Scott

If you get the 650, definitely get the Casefeeder with it. If you don't, you'll wish you had it about every 20 or so rounds, when you have to stop loading to fill up the tube.

Same boat with the LNL AP though, not an aspect of distinction, right? Thanks for the response Brian.

Waldog, not trying to tell you what to do, but try to first take a couple of deep breaths before posting, OK? :)

Same boat with the LNL AP though, not an aspect of distinction, right? Thanks for the response Brian.

With the LnL AP and NO casefeeder, you simply place the case in the open slot at the end of each cycle, there is nothing to get in the way or manual filling of a feed tube.

Isn't it the same with the 650. Just pull the handle and then place a case in the tube, place bullet, pull again.

I dunno. Each 650 I've worked on had a casefeeder. Sounds reasonable to me.

My understanding is you can just make a short tube and fill it one at a time. Operate the press like a 550 that way.

Hum, interesting. I may try that if I end up going that route.

Thanks for all the input.

Dan

Corey,

I'd be interested in what you thought about each, after trying them both.

What did you end up with?

Still havent made a choice yet. havent had a chance to play with both,m hopefully in the very near future, ill have a new machine :)

Corey,

Still havent made a choice yet. havent had a chance to play with both,m hopefully in the very near future, ill have a new machine :)

You'll make a great manager at some corporation some day... imagine all the ammo you could have made by now had you made a decision! :)

If you want to checkout a 550, PM me.

-rvb

Corey,

You'll make a great manager at some corporation some day... imagine all the ammo you could have made by now had you made a decision! :)

If you want to checkout a 550, PM me.

-rvb

i was a manager for 4 years at a previous job ;)

I may take you up on that 550 demo as the the guys at work are dragging setting ours up. the past few weeks i wouldnt have been able to do much anyway, but after loading 400 rounds in 2 days on my rockchucker before the IN section, i realize the dire need i actuall yhave for something with a bit more speed...

Another LNL AP vs 650 question: Do both accommodate the installation of different powder measures just a readily as the other? For example, can a 650's powder measure be readily swapped out with a Redding or Uniflow?

Edited by Dannix

• 2 weeks later...

Before buying, PLEASE TRY OTHER PEOPLE's PRESS FIRST (each of your potential choices).

Like Corey said, any of us living near you would be glad to let you crank out a few of our rounds for us. I for one would let you hammer out a few thousand.

A few people who let me do this helped me to realize that for me, I didn't need 1) auto-indexing, 2) a case feeder, 3) a 5th station or a powder level sensor or 4) a bullet feeder.

Now that was me, not you. You may be 180 degrees the other way but still, try before you buy it. You may be surprised after trying a few presses what you THOUGHT you had to have versus what you really wanted.

LNL's, SQDB, 550B and 650B's are pretty easy to find in a short radius.

BTW, if you try both, I'll be surprised if the color isn't blue.... Sorry, couldn't stop myself.