Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone convert your own Saiga?

Aldrin

I'm thinking about putting one of these together myself for 3gun. Anyone have any success stories? Horror stories?

I don't shoot open, so I don't shoot one. However I do know someone who has converted his own and a few others. They have worked out extremely well.

I did 2 of my own. Its very easy, just take your time. Just make sure you shoot yours before you convert it so that if it doesn't work you can send it in and get warranty work done to it. There is a place in Ohio that does the warranty work now.

I haven't had any issues with my shotgun. I've even made some steel mags for them. They're not the prettiest but the work. They newest ones look like the alum one in my video. I still need to get a different butt stock. :blush:

The thing that made these much easier to do yourself is the Tromix do it yourself trigger guard. A Dremel tool, can of spray paint and 15 minutes and its done.

Go shoot 100 rounds through it first to make sure the gas system is good to go before you mess around with anything else.

I did my own conversion. I have a TIG welder, which made for a cosmetically more appealing final product, but as mentioned above there are many great bolt-on solutions that make the task child's play. I think the whole thing was done in an afternoon, and that was going slow. I let the paint dry overnight and shot it the next day. It has run like a champ ever since. As I shoot Tactical Division with a Remington 11-87, the Saiga 12 was really more of a bit of cheap fun and an interesting project, but I have been pleased with it. One word of advice: run a few hundred rounds through the gun before converting it, to be sure it is reliable (many have to go back to the importer to be fixed). Also, if I was running one seriously in 3-gun, I would buy a second gun as a backup/spare parts donor.

Here is a photo of my Saiga 12:

Saiga12grass.jpg

Hello: I was going to convert my own but since Jim at Firebird Firearms is local I let him do his magic. Mine was a brand new Saiga that I never shot and gave it over to Jim. He had to open up the gas ports and some other stuff. He asked if I had shot it and I said no not yet. He suggested to shoot it first before doing any work on it as well. So I would suggest just like as stated above to shoot it first to see if it works. Then do all the things you want to it. I would look at the parts available from Jim at Firebird, Jack Travers and Alex Wakal's stuff. These are the guys that dream all this wonderful stuff up and are also good guys :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I converted mine. Easy as pie. I just shot it for the first time at a three gun this last Saturday. No problems with the gun, the operator needs a little more practice though. I found myself shooting a little bit faster than I could get the sights on a target (i.e. missing fast). The end result was that on a pure shotgun stage I lost to a couple of really fast guys using tube guns.

Definitely break it in real good and clean it before a match. Try different ammo to see what works well. I have been amazed that two different manufacturers that both state 1 1/8 oz, 1220 fps can have totally different results. One was real consistent. The other would not run at all.

The thing that made these much easier to do yourself is the Tromix do it yourself trigger guard. A Dremel tool, can of spray paint and 15 minutes and its done.

Go shoot 100 rounds through it first to make sure the gas system is good to go before you mess around with anything else.

+10 Make sure you run 100 rounds through it first. Most stock guns are good to go, but once in a while you will get one that the ports are not drilled correct and the warranty center will fix it no charge before you convert.

Thanks guys. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow. Should I run particular brand/type of ammo through it for the 100 rounds? Or maybe multiple brands?

Edited by Aldrin

Thanks guys. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow. Should I run particular brand/type of ammo through it for the 100 rounds? Or maybe multiple brands?

Most suggest a quality high brass round to brake them in.

It wouldn't hurt to take more then a brand just encase it doesn't like one.

Edited by Racer 27

Did not shoot mine ahead of convert but verified 3 ports before I started.

Converted my own with R&R Targets trigger guard and AR Stock adaptor,Krebs Ghost ring sights were the hard part.

very easy and great handling.Throated,mild bolt polish and it runs even the light Fed stuff no probs on #1 gas setting

Edited by bladewurk

Like others said, buy a new Saiga and shoot it first then proceed with the fun. I would/did shoot different loads to figure what the stock SG liked/didn't like just for reference. After the mods I tired the same loads/test and figured out that I must have done something right...for once! Tromix trigger for sure and then the parts of your liking...The Tromix trigger came with to much curve for my liking so I just heated it up and bent it straighter. The hardest part so far that I had was taking the rear sight off...whew!

Making a tactical SG is pretty easy. I chose to send the Open version to RandRTargets for the shortened gas system and welding and drilling ports...I do not have those skills. Now I do like the RandRTargets AR Safety better than others but that is must IMHO. This safety was not something that I thought I could do so I had this done. I don't weld or mill but and great with a dremil and drill press!

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott

Update: I did convert my own and it runs great. Many thanks to everyone here and Greg at Carolina Shooters for getting me set up. Now if the weather would cooperate I could shoot a match.