Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Packing Away My Production Gun

Bear1142

I hate the fact there will be only one handgun Nationals. I'm not interested in getting into a debate about why it happened, I just don't like it. I shot my Glock 35 Production gun for the last time this past weekend. I shot all my remaining Production ammo and gave the gun a through cleaning. It will get packed away until next year. Hopefully, the Nationals format will change back to the two separate handgun Nationals like this year, but only time will tell. After a moment of silence, Scotish bagpipes sounded and the Glock was bagged, and placed in the back of the safe. Not to see the light of day until 2005 :( (Unless an Area Factory gun match miraculously appears).

You cleaned your Glock!!! Don't you know it's going to fall apart now? The grit and grime is what holds it together. :P

Yeah, I'll have to second what Dave said. Such a tremendous amount of work for such a dismal turnout. Even local shooters didn't come because they thought the $95 match fee (which included a match golf shirt) was too much. Note: This match had both cash and prize table payout (9 or 10 guns + much more). Trips to the prize table were equally balanced relative to the number of shooters in each division.

FWIW I played at the Area 8 FGC and had a great time. The places I shoot, Black Creek and Blackwater, seem to have a goodly no. of L10 and Production shooters. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to try another factory gun match. More chances to shoot equals more good.

Bucky,

Aside from the fact that somebody left the door to hell open and all the heat got out and made the '02 A8 FG match the second hottest match I think I ever shot, it was a great match. Seeing how there is no separate FG match this year and the increased popularity of Production, maybe it might be time to test the waters again in 2004 for another FG match. Maybe you should try a poll on the USPSA webpage and see if there is any interest. Although, I completely understand if you are not eager to go through all that again, but it was wishful thinking. I would try to push one down here, but we're doing an Area 6 3 Gun match again in May. I've submitted some stage designs, it will be a pretty good match. You guys should think about making the trip.

Erik

The Area 8 FG match was a good match. I shot it between phone calls home to make sure the wife wasn't in labor yet. I think it would have went over better if it wasn't held in Jersey. I heard a lot of guys complaining that there was no way in hell they would go there to shoot a match because of the gun laws. The crew put together a first class match but a lot of people missed out because of Jersey's bad rep on guns.

Erik,

I too, with gnashing of teeth, put guns away for this coming season. They will not have to stand idly by, while the field of competition is cut asunder. They have been sent away to a better place, a place where many Divisions can flourish together. But in contrast, my Glock is the only creature left with warm kell lube running through its veins. This will be the season of fast alphas. I'm going to do it for the STI's who, this year, have no voice. :angry: "....don't shoot angry, just shoot..."

Your brother in suffering,

Turtle

BTW, are you on the team yet? :D

Erik - say it's not so!

I'm interested to see what happens to Prod with the combined Nationals.

It used to be a divison for newer shooters, but I think Dave S. got a lot more people interested in the division. I hope that broadened interest does not fizzle because of the combined Nationals.

Obviously, if you have to pick (and you do), you'll shoot Limited.

John - keep on breaking your Open gun and you can still shoot Prod with me :D

This talk about Production guns hibernating for the next year has inspired me to dig out something I can shoot in Production (I'm still punishing my Browning BDM for having a broken firing pin by refusing to replace it).

Later today I'm going to shoot my Smith & Wesson 3914. That's 8+1 rounds of 9mm cardboard killing mayhem that I can carry in my pocket. If it goes well, I may use it in the next match. And reshoot the classifier in Open with it. ;)

I see that I am not alone in my suffering and I take comfort in all the kind words. Brothers in arms. Keep you heads up and fight the good fight. I intend on working harder this coming season than ever before. I will intend to cut a wide path of destruction (good or bad :huh: ) through the Local, Section, State, and Area matches, and ultimately, the Nationals. Always looking to the sidelines where my Glock and Open gun sit idle, not allowed to play in concert with my Limited gun, for inspiration. I tell them, fear not, your day will come. That day when a competitor can use all makes and models on that field of dreams where entry fees are low, thousands of competitors test their skills, and the prize tables are so large you'd need a golf cart to get from one end to the other. I say to all my clean and silent guns, you will not be forgotten. Wherever I go, I will always look to the A zone with thoughts of "Winning one for the Glocker" :D

Turtle- I think I got fired last week, so yeah, I'm on the team.

Erik

. I heard a lot of guys complaining that there was no way in hell they would go there to shoot a match because of the gun laws. The crew put together a first class match but a lot of people missed out because of Jersey's bad rep on guns.

I couldn't shoot last year but remember I wasn't going to that specific match because of that reason. It was confusing if you were or were not going to be in compliance with NJ law.

Just to add a comment on the A8 match, yeah I think being held in New Jersey was the hard part. The Jersey laws are bad, but their reputation is worse. Pretty much, no handgun is illegal, except those that mimic sub guns like the mini Uzi or Tech 9. Magazines cannot hold more than 15 rounds... which was why a "Factory Gun" platform was perfect. There is even an old fax from the State Police that said you could temporarily block the magazines to hold no more than 15. Many locals used wooden dowels to limit the capacity of the magazine. Lastly keep the stuff locked in the trunk or case (for SUV, wagons...), and only travel to and from the range, hotel, or your home with your "stuff".

That was pretty much it. I understand why people are hesitant. I've heard the "stories". Hell, I even moved out (happy PA resident now, thank you very much). But Old Bridge, New Jersey puts on one heck of an IPSC match. They hold a seven stage outdoor match every month (except December) with a shotgun or rifle side match April thru October, they hold two indoor "IPSC Like" matches every month, two steel challange matches every month. Plus various other special matches such as "Pocket Gun" match, 3 gun tactical match, Shotgun IPSC match. If you live close enough, it's really worth learning the NJ laws and going.

As for holding another Area Match, probably not as long as the laws are the way they are (and the reputation). What I'd consider doing is an IROC match of shooting. First get a few sponsors to donate a couple of guns. Each of those guns would be used on given stage. As long as we have an FFL on site, and since it is legal to rent guns... I think it's doable. And all people would need to bring is a belt, "eyes" and "ears". [You listening Jim? - OK, now remove foot from mouth].

Flex,

Not that I'm competition --- but I'll be there! Competing with Rhino for second to last place maybe...

I'll be at Area 5 since it's being held in America this year, but I won't be at the Nationals!

I'm pretty sure I'll shoot Limited-10 at Area 5, unless production goes REALLY well for me this year.