Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm power factor for IDPA

craig2724

I am trying to work up a load for 9mm. The problem is that I am trying to keep the recoil to a minimum and keep the power factor up to 125,000 (velocityxbullet weight) per IDPA rules. I don't have a chrony so I was hoping that maybe someone had velocity data to help me out.

I am loading 4.0 grains titegroup and 115 grain Berry's plated bullets with a COL of 1.110. The gun I am using for competition is a Springfield XD with a 4" barrel.

The Hodgen site says that it should be around 1075 fps.

Does anybody have any tested data?

I realize it will vary with the gun you are using.

Well, a 115gr at 1075 is only 123 PF. Have to step it up a bit, not much. Take the actual charge divided by the max charge and multiply that by the max velocity. That's about what a generic gun will get in same length barrel. Example 4.1/4.3 and multiply that by 1151 to get 1097fps approx. So 115gr at that fps will get you a tad over your PF at 126 PF. I'm sure your range or someone there will have a chronograph and let you shoot through it.

Titegroup is temperature sensitive too. I wouldn't take any chances trying to stay close to 125PF without a chrono. Split the difference between starting and max load until you get a chrono.

[Reloading is dangerous. You could blow your head off. xcelr8n is not liable for opinions posted]

In 9mm, recoil really shouldn't be a problem. Factory standard pressure 9mm tends to go in the 135-140 power factor range, and is hardly an abusive load to fire. A lot of people who reload 9mm - I'm one of them - forego the "just barely make power factor" approach and load to the factory equivalent 135-140 range just because (1) recoil is still so light there's no reason not to, while simultaneously (2) this really takes the worry out of the chrono station.

• 2 weeks later...

For IDPA I have been using Berry's 147's over 3.4 of universal clays. Nice soft shooting. Thumps down steel pretty good. I am now experimenting with BBI 147's over 3.2 of solo 1000. (thanks to many forum members for this new load) The BBI are very economical and right now out of my 34 with factory barrel they are 134pf. Good luck, welcome, and enjoy.

In 9mm, recoil really shouldn't be a problem. Factory standard pressure 9mm tends to go in the 135-140 power factor range, and is hardly an abusive load to fire. A lot of people who reload 9mm - I'm one of them - forego the "just barely make power factor" approach and load to the factory equivalent 135-140 range just because (1) recoil is still so light there's no reason not to, while simultaneously (2) this really takes the worry out of the chrono station.

+1 for what Duane said. Also you may want to consider a higher PF, as some guns (M&P) can get finicky below 130PF. The time you loose shooting 135PF vs 128PF is negligible. The time you lose because you gun does not go into battery or you have a double feed... is several seconds per.