Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 .40S&W

Rolex

I was fortunate to find a pre-series II .40 Kimber back in '03 or '04. It's a great pistol, but kind of picky on the mags. Been using it for Steel, and may start using it for USPSA since I have a healthier supply of SP primers on hand than LP. Seems like I occasionally see used ones for sale, but you gotta jump on them quick.

The STIppling on the Trojan didn't do anything for me, but thats easily fixed with grip tape. 'Course if I was going spend $1,500+ I think I'd want (demand) a nice checkering job.

. . . there are a few Kimbers around if you can find a used one.
. . . I'm pretty sure there's nothing in .40 left in the Kimber lineup...a couple of 10mm that could be re-barreled, but no .40's. Do they have new offerings for 2010?
My Kimber dealer said they no longer make a .40, as they had too many problems with them.

I'm not completely convinced that Kimber ever made a 1911 in .40. They planned to. They even had them in at least one catalog. But I don't know if they ever put them into production.

When the CDP first came out, the advertisements immediately caught my eye. And they said it would be available in .45ACP as well as .40S&W. Both of my previous pistols were double-stack forties, so going to a single-stack, I thought it would be a good idea to stick with the same caliber. I waited, and contacted Kimber several times about it. I was finally convinced that .45 was what I really wanted anyway. (The Aegis is 9mm only. All the rest of Kimber's 1911 pistols are available in .45. A few are also available in 9mm. At least one can be had in 10mm. But no .40) Maybe they did make a .40 before the CDP came out. I just know that I wanted a CDP in .40 and was waiting for something that never happened. (If they made the CDP in .40, there were very, very few, and I don't think it ever got past the prototype stage, if they built one at all.)

Edited by mgood

• 1 month later...

I'm not completely convinced that Kimber ever made a 1911 in .40. They planned to. They even had them in at least one catalog. But I don't know if they ever put them into production.

They did. I owned one. I've seen 3 or 4 over the years. Mine was a stainless 5" model based on a pre series II type, and was a Classic Custom with fixed sights, no frills. Definitley before Kimber got all crazy with so many dfferent models.

It would run long loaded .40 ok out of 10mm mags, but I never could get it to shoot regular length factory type .40 out of 10mm or .40 mags, so I sold it. Still have my Kimber .45, its a keeper (first year of production... I think I paid $550 for it?)

I've had Trojans...great guns when you figure out which mags work out. I currently run a Dan Wesson and my Infinity SS in .40's. Both are great guns. I use the latest gen tripp 10mm mags.

I'm putting together a Fusion kit gun...I should have it in a couple of days. It looks like STI parts.

Kit was 690$ with a checkered frontstrap. fitted frame and slide. barrel and bushing are fit. slide is cut for bomars. I bought about 250$ worth of parts to finish it up. That might be a good way to go...

RM

I've had Trojans...great guns when you figure out which mags work out. I currently run a Dan Wesson and my Infinity SS in .40's. Both are great guns. I use the latest gen tripp 10mm mags.

I'm putting together a Fusion kit gun...I should have it in a couple of days. It looks like STI parts.

Kit was 690$ with a checkered frontstrap. fitted frame and slide. barrel and bushing are fit. slide is cut for bomars. I bought about 250$ worth of parts to finish it up. That might be a good way to go...

RM

i bought a kit...its awesome and works well with the Tripp system mags :cheers:

By the case you get more of the 40's than the 230's! Thats all.

Have you priced 180gn SWCs in 45? I'm just pointing out that the 45 is a more flexible major cartridge with heavier bullets, 180-230+gn is no problem at major with the 45, in 40 S&W most ppl stop at 180gn and it's at a much higher pressure. Power factor is still a momentum based formula, not energy :devil:

That being said if you just want to load one major cartridge between your limited gun and a SS I'd build up a single stack on a Caspian frame and a STI slide with a short chambered barrel and have it chambered like my limited gun. Even better yet have both guns fitted with the same make barrel short chambered and head spaced via the same reamer and same smith.

That being said if you just want to load one major cartridge between your limited gun and a SS I'd build up a single stack on a Caspian frame and a STI slide with a short chambered barrel and have it chambered like my limited gun. Even better yet have both guns fitted with the same make barrel short chambered and head spaced via the same reamer and same smith.

Yeah, and they'd still likely give a different PF with the same ammo :P

Yeah, and they'd still likely give a different PF with the same ammo :P

Yes PF will be VERY dependent on the total obturation of the barrel's rifling. But if you get them close enough it isn't unreasonable to run the same load with a bit of padding, just not as easy as running a load per gun. This may be a good judge of how good your barrel maker is if given this task, oohhhh! :surprise:

• 2 weeks later...