Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 .40S&W

Rolex

Just so you know I am a Hi-Cap kinda guy. The more in the mag the better.

And yes I do have just one SS 1911 in .45ACP. BUT what "IF" I wanted to look

for a 1911 SS in .40S&W what and who's would I be looking for? When I do

shoot the .45 those 230FMJ just look like to much money going down range.

And seeing that I have more .40's-due to the fact that my Limited SV is a

.40- whell just makes more reason to get a 1911 in .40S&W> I know sounds

like I just want to buy another gun! Let me know. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Think I got it STI!

Edited by Rolex

Thanks!

Think I got it STI!

Rolex you know you can use 200gr bullets in that 45. But since you asked, the best 40's I have seen are custom builds on STI or Caspian frames but the STI Trojan is pretty good as is the Springfield Loaded and there are a few Kimbers around if you can find a used one.

From what I've read and from what I've personally experienced with my STI Trojan 40S&W and also with a good friend's, two words: Virgil Tripp.

Edited to Add:

I would also recommend going with Tripp's CobraMag (systems mags) in 10mm.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Looking at the STI Trojan at $1,100.00 and Sentry ar $1,600.00!

Ramped bl. vs non ramped,ambi ect. I can't really see what the MAJOR

improvements are between the two- for the $500.00 or so price change.

I know in the forum this has been talked about- so not here!

Coco Bolo- I am going to try some 200SWC in the .45- I just think it's

time for a SS .40. I use N320 and 180FMJ in the Limited gun- guess I

just like that round better than the .45ACP- and I think a custom gun

may be just more than these, as well as a longer time to get one. I

am watching this forum for a used one!

Thanks

Thanks!

Think I got it STI!

I also shoot 40 & 45 from what I've seen not much price difference in the two bullets,in fmj my $.02

Hello: If you want a 40 SS the best choices are STI, Springfield and Kimber. I don't like the dimples on the Trojan frontstrap. The Springfields are hard to find. The Kimbers are hard to find. I have a Kimber Eclipse I converted to 40 and 9mm. I also have a custom built 1911 I built. If you can afford it I would look into a custom. As a side note I actually like my STI Spartan shooting 200 grain Precision bullets better than my 40's :surprise: Thanks, Eric

I've been looking for a .40 as well, and the current options are limited to say the least. My reasons are purely practical from a reloading standpoint - .45 brass is twice as much as .40 and I'd have to start the primer search all over again for large primers (currently only loading 9mm).

The only options off the shelf seem to be STI and Fusion, and the used Springfields and Kimbers are hard to come by and are generally over-priced when you do find them (might just be my opinion as a poor graduate student smile.gif). The Dan Wesson SSC seemed to be the best bang for your buck, but they have all but disappeared after being discontinued in January...

In 40 S&W I have both a Dan Wesson Pointman the older pre CZ blued ones) and an STI Trojan. The Dan Weson has a somewhat nicer external appearance with the rib on the slide but the Trojan has a nice undercut on the frame. Both shoot well.

The only options off the shelf seem to be STI and Fusion,

Just FYI, but the Fusion guns are all built with STI parts...regardless of the name on the side. If you look at the frame they normally use for single stacks, it's the Trojan frame....no doubt. R,

DWFAN is going to say Dan Wesson DUH, I'm going to say Springfield DUH lol. Neither company has a .40 in their current catalogue I don't think, I know Springfield doesn't. Anyway, off the shelf your pretty much left with STI, and Kimber. Of those 2 I'm going to go with STI. Now I'm like Eric and I don't like dimpled front straps I like Checkering. I would go with the Sentry from STI if I didn't already run 2 .40s from Springfield. Its 1400 from Shooters Connection and is pretty much ready to run. I know a friend of mine has one in .45 and its sure has helped his game tongue.gif or at least the looks of his game.

Edited by steel1212

The Sentry is an interesting option, but I had kind of ruled it out because the SC website lists it at almost $1500...is there a discount I don't know about? Also, I'm pretty sure there's nothing in .40 left in the Kimber lineup...a couple of 10mm that could be re-barreled, but no .40's. Do they have new offerings for 2010?

The Sentry is an interesting option, but I had kind of ruled it out because the SC website lists it at almost $1500...is there a discount I don't know about? Also, I'm pretty sure there's nothing in .40 left in the Kimber lineup...a couple of 10mm that could be re-barreled, but no .40's. Do they have new offerings for 2010?

Sorry I must have been looking at something else...dry.gif

If you don't mind the stippling instead of checkering the trojan is a good gun for the money.

Edited by steel1212

My Kimber dealer said they no longer make a .40, as they had too many problems with them. Springfield was a no go also. That basically just leaves STI. I really like my Trojan 9mm, but would prefer a more agressive stipling for a .40 SS gun. Not a lot to choose from unless you pony up more cash...the Trojans go for $950 around here.

STI Sentinel (old model Sentry?). 22,000 rds through it and never a malfunction. It's 2 yrs old now and I recently freshened it up with hammer, sear, Briley bushing, etc. I refuse to get it re-finished. Still very, very accurate. It eats any .40 I've loaded it with to include lead, long, short, hollow points, etc. This was right out of the box from S.C. The extra money spent on the initial purchase (over a Trojan)has been well worth it. I recently had a custom SS built and thought about selling this one. Then I snap myself out of it.

My way of saying, get the Sentry.

post-11000-126728114821_thumb.jpg

STI Sentinel (old model Sentry?). 22,000 rds through it and never a malfunction. It's 2 yrs old now and I recently freshened it up with hammer, sear, Briley bushing, etc. I refuse to get it re-finished. Still very, very accurate. It eats any .40 I've loaded it with to include lead, long, short, hollow points, etc. This was right out of the box from S.C. The extra money spent on the initial purchase (over a Trojan)has been well worth it. I recently had a custom SS built and thought about selling this one. Then I snap myself out of it.

I think your right, I think they changed the name.

Don't limit yourself to new only. I waited until I found a Springfield in .40 then ended up having 3 at one time within 6 months of each other and found others available. They do come available, though I've only seen one Trophy Match in .40 and guess who owns that cool.gif

This is just MY OPINION. It's probably worth exactly what you are paying for it.;) I'm not the greatest shooter out there but I have owned and shot countless 1911's over a 20 year period. Les Baer's, Wilson Combat, Cheely Custom and Clark Custom, Spartans, Trojans, Springfields, Kimbers & even a Llama :goof: , and many others. You name it, I've owned it.

If you are going to invest over $1500 for a NEW 40 S&W single stack: Go a full custom or speak with Les Baer and have him make you one.

I really like STI pistols, but I can't see spending $1500-$1600 for one of their (upper line pistols) when you have the above choices for just slightly more.

Under $1500: Lots more choices. Trojans, Springfields etc...

Just my opinion..... I'm sure that there will be opposing views and that's as it should be.......

Edited by Paul Burtchell

They appear to have changed names to distinguish the Sentinel Premier which is listed at $1950 (in blue) or $2250 (hard chrome). I don't know how can justify a $2K pistol with MIM parts....oh, but you get a Wilson mag and Tritium sights....LOL

That's a great track record you've had with your Sentinel, but the reliability and accuracy haven't been because you paid for the more expensive model. A Trojan, Sentinel, Sentry, Edge, Lawman etc are all fit to the same standards, by the same people from what I've been told (STI being a small company only has a handful of people fitting guns). The added price bought you a more expensive frame, front strap checkering, a Recoilmaster, ambi thumb safety rather than single, polished slide flats and a small magwell. Add those up, you're looking at the $500 difference, so they're not putting the extra $ into fitting the gun better.

We've had this discussion before and, for many people, the math doesn't make sense. You can get a Les Baer Premier II for roughly what you pay for a Sentry and I can't see the STI being as good from a quality standpoint, even if it's only small details like the MIM parts etc. I'm certainly not bagging on STI, I have four of their guns now and really like them as a company. R,