Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sight

Griz

I've been installing a lot of the Weigand blades lately. I particularly like the .140" notch version.

Everybody knows I like the Millett unit the best of any revolver rear sight. But the Weigand blade gives a nice sight picture, and the one I installed on my 646 over 5 years ago is holding up just fine.

The LPA is a good quality sight, but too expensive for what it is. Plus the notch is way too narrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been installing a lot of the Weigand blades lately. I particularly like the .140" notch version.

Everybody knows I like the Millett unit the best of any revolver rear sight. But the Weigand blade gives a nice sight picture, and the one I installed on my 646 over 5 years ago is holding up just fine.

The LPA is a good quality sight, but too expensive for what it is. Plus the notch is way too narrow.

Mike - do you feel the Weigand can be installed easily, or does it require a gun smith? Also, I asked about the fiber optic front when you did my 625, but dumb me forgot what you recommended (and I didn't have you do it for me).

Thanks

john

Mike - do you feel the Weigand can be installed easily, or does it require a gun smith? Also, I asked about the fiber optic front when you did my 625, but dumb me forgot what you recommended (and I didn't have you do it for me).

Thanks

john

John, the Weigand unit isn't all that hard to install once you've done a couple, but it sure goes a lot easier if you have the spanner for the windage screw nut and the correct punch for staking the screw and the nut. When installing the Weigand blade, you actually break the stock windage screw, so you have to order the installation kit (which includes a new screw and nut, plus an extra plunger and spring) along with the Weigand blade. The plunger and spring are really tiny, so it doesn't hurt to have a good set of hands while handling that part of the operation.

For more on this topic, see my dealer forum.

Edited by Carmoney

Does Weigand require a .300" front sight?

Generally speaking, the Weigand blade is a direct replacement for the stock rear blade, so you should be able to run a front sight at factory height (which varies from model to model).

This is great. I just found this post via search - horray.

Why are Millet's so hard to find?

What about this part from Brownells? http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=323/Product/COMPETITION_REAR_SIGHT_BLADE_KIT

That's the Weigand blade we're talking about, MIT. It may say manufactured by Brownells, but that's Jack Weigand's blade--guarantee ya.

I have the Millet on my S&W 686, but was wondering if the SDM semi-fixed rear sight would be good. It is much more expensive than the Millet and is only adjustable for elevation.

Westczek

I personally would not want a rear sight that wasn't adjustable for windage, but I have no doubt the SDM is well made.

• 4 months later...

I am seriously considering buying one of the SDM sights. I called and talked for a while with them today and got the impression they are providing a good product for a limited market. I have an old style rear sight with the square from tang and they said they have no intentions to produce an adjustable - so it is a fixed or nothing thing. I currently have a Millet with widened notch and set to about .135" and the rear blade is about .017" to the right. They said sight height is between .480" to .410" above the sight notch and my current sight sits in this range. The notch on the SDM rear is .090" deep and .125" wide. If my match is correct, I should be able to widen the notch in the right direction and be really close on point of impact. All things considered there a few variables at play and the only real way to know for sure until it is on, but I hate the way the "millet outline" has been blacked out on my sight and just don't know of any other solutions.

Can anyone shed some light on if a stock Smith rear for a 610 (no dash) is available where I could just buy one and put the Weigand blade in. Maybe Mike would like to start selling them installed and I could log on Brian Enos and tell everyone how great it is working out and how super he is for hooking me up? Just thinking out loud here.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

I sent Mike my rear sight and he installed the Weigand for me. Great sight picture!

Richard

PS: I just noticed side to side play in the blade...Mike is that normal?

Trouble is, I don't have the original sight anymore. The one I am currently using is Millet that is a little chewed up and was hoping for something a little cleaner - doesn't look like there are a lot of options.

Lee

Trouble is, I don't have the original sight anymore. The one I am currently using is Millet that is a little chewed up and was hoping for something a little cleaner - doesn't look like there are a lot of options.

Lee

I had the same problem with my old-style 66, so I drilled and tapped the top strap for the new-style sights. Now I can use old or new style sights. Very glad I did.

I sent Mike my rear sight and he installed the Weigand for me. Great sight picture!

Richard

PS: I just noticed side to side play in the blade...Mike is that normal?

Yes, a little bit of wiggle side-to-side and up-and-down is normal with the Weigands (and the factory sights, for that matter). As long as the play isn't excessive, it doesn't seem to affect anything for any practical shooting purposes.

Is there a number of holes where the top strap starts to weaken? I don't have an exact count, but it would seem a scope mount or something was previously mounted. Drilling a hole to accept modern sights is the easiest solution by far. Thoughts?

Lee

Is there a number of holes where the top strap starts to weaken? I don't have an exact count, but it would seem a scope mount or something was previously mounted. Drilling a hole to accept modern sights is the easiest solution by far. Thoughts?

Lee

You may actually be good to go. As I understand it, the hole positions for most scope mounts and the new sights are the same. So, you may already be set up to use the new sights. Give it a try.

Alternatively, you can drill and tap the new-model sight to fit the hole for the old frame. I thought about doing that, but I liked the ability to switch back and forth.

I don't know about strength, but I'm kind of anal, so I bought extra screws and turned them down into essentially grub screws to fit the holes not being used. Also, if you are worried about strength, you could use the LPA sight, which is really beefy and might give some extra piece of mind.