Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

extended bases - which one

Del

I was considering getiing a couple of extended base pads- the kind that give me extra rounds- but, I am not sure if one is better than the other, and why? Will I need different springs. It will be for my MP40.

Thanks In Advance

For me I chose Arredondo because I have an extension for my Glock and its never failed me yet so I trust their brand. Also, if I put the S&W extension on my m&p compact if feels real nice in the hand and gives it almost a full size grip. and the added capacity isnt a bad thing either :devil:

Taylor Freelance are nicer than the Arredondo. I got one of each. The Arredondo is plastic and fits a little too close to the be bottom of the mag well area (I missed a few reloads not pushing the mag in hard enough). It could be fixed pretty easy with a light sanding in the top surface of the basepad. The Taylor Freelance is much more durable. I would also highly recommend using the longer springs. I used both basepads for a little while without them and had failures to feed on the last round about 30% of the time with nearly new mag springs. With the longer springs I have yet to have an issue.

BTW, I was was using them with a 9mm M&P.

Edited by Vincent C

• 3 months later...

I have arredondo but I wonder about a speed unload someday.

Can anyone tell me of what use the "spring plate" is?

Instructions say "Use either Locking Insert or Spring Plate"

Why include something so useless?

I have arredondo but I wonder about a speed unload someday.

Can anyone tell me of what use the "spring plate" is?

Instructions say "Use either Locking Insert or Spring Plate"

Why include something so useless?

Mine didn't include any instructions and I wondered what the thing was for, so yeah anyone explain?

I have used both and the Taylor ones are superior to the Arredondo. The only minus is the Taylor ones don't have the hole in the base to take the mags apart once they are together. I drilled holes in the base of the Taylors to make taking them apart a snap. I don't know why they don't come that way????

Perry

I have used both and the Taylor ones are superior to the Arredondo. The only minus is the Taylor ones don't have the hole in the base to take the mags apart once they are together. I drilled holes in the base of the Taylors to make taking them apart a snap. I don't know why they don't come that way????

Perry

If drilling a hole allowed you to take them apart easier it sounds like you left the factory locking plate on the spring. The Taylors are not designed to use that locking plate, you MAY get another round in if you remove that plate. To disassemble the Taylors you'll need a piece of flat steel (I use an old small file) about a 1/4" wide, grind a small notch in one end, remove the locking plate from the extension and push the extension off far enough to get the tool inside the tube, catch one of the spring coils in the notch and push the spring up far enough to slide the extension off.