Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero Bullets

chuckd53

Anybody using Zero bullets? The jacketed ones seem pretty cheap compared to the brand names. I bought a few thousand .45 acp in 230 gr. So far, they seem to work fine. I also bought some .40 S&W 180 gr, hollow points and truncated cone, both jacketed. Does anyone have a good load recipie for these bullets? I'm looking to get recoil similar to factory target loads (UMC, Winchester White Box, American Eagle, etc). I tried loading with 3.7 of Clays with an OAL of 1.155, but they're a tad too soft. I'm a beginning reloader, and don't want to load too close to the max.

Do a search for "40 Major" and "(insert the powder you use here)" and I'm sure you'll find plenty of information. Also, the forum has caliber-specific loading forums where there's tons of load data.

As a new reloader, do yourself a favor now and make sure you verify any reloading data you find on the internet and cross reference it to a legitimate source like a reloading manual or the powder manufacturer's website.

If you are trying to duplicate factory ammo, you are going to need a slower powder. Universal Clays, Unique, Accurate #5, etc., are all within the burn speed range you're looking for.

I think you'll find, as I did, that trying to duplicate factory velocity is a waste of powder. Factory ammo is pretty "hot" in most calibers and that sort of velocity is basically unnecessary. It certainly can be achieved with slower burning powders, though.

I love new visitors asking questions as they provide me reminders of where I once was.

And the bullet shortage is not over yet or our venders wouldn't still be showing backorders so I have added my name to the list at Shooters Connection.

Any load recommendations for 180 gr FMJ and HP?

At the OAL you are loading to, I wouldn't recommend "major" loads with Clays.

Try 4.2 grains of Titegroup. That gets me about 169 pf at the lengths you are loading to.

I prefer Zero bullets to anything else I've tried.

Try 5.6 grains of Alliant Power Pistol in your 40 S&W, OAL of 1.15. Power Pistol is very forgiving, almost impossible to double charge. I have loaded the 40's up to as much as 7.6 grains of it with a 165 grain TRN CN, but it was very, very hot! The slightest bit of pressure signs, but almost uncontrollable.