Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure Rate on Dillon 650

guns_and_labs

I'm finding about a 5% failure rate on loading .40 S&W on a Dillon 650, characterized by inverted primers, primers not seating at all and primers not seated deeply enough (the most common failure). Is that rate "normal"?

Is there a way of improving the primers not seating deeply enough (stroking harder just indents the primers)?

Be more consistent with how you cycle the handle. Do it exactly the same every time. If primers are flipping, you either aren't dropping them smoothly and properlyinto the tube... or you need to bolt your bench to the wall.

Given the two problems simultaneously, I would bet good money you'll see a much lower failure rate with a bench securely lagged to the studs, and the casefeeder bar bolted to it as well. :)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Mine is usually 1 or 2 per thousand. I was ordering some parts from Dillon several years ago and asked the guy on the phone what the acceptable rate was for rounds. He said 2 to 3 per hundred. I told him that if my 650 had that failure rate I would go back to the Lee 1000. That was about my failure rate with it.

I have had my 650 for close to 15 years . Less than 1 % failure in 40. When I put the primers from the tube to primmer feeder I put the indicator rod in the tube and then pull the clip. That cut down on primers flipping over where the 2 tubes meet.I think the last primmer like to flip over if I don't use the rod.

I will seat the primmer, set a bullet and seat the primmer a second time before push the handle down.

Seems to work for me . Brent

Yeah, I'd guess that you are quite setup correctly.

You need full range of motion on the handle. (make sure your bench isn't blocking it in any way, and then be extra sure you are fully cycling it).

Inverted primers are probably going into the primer tube that way.

Also make sure that your shell plate is freely snapping into position. And, check that the de-primer in station 1 is working properly...and that the primers aren't getting punched out and then sticking to the punch and getting pulled back in.

I had a lot of primer issues with my 650--mostly sideways primers. As it turned out, it was a really simple fix. The primer station locator tab needed to be adjusted. I was told by Dillon's customer service to adjust the tab so a business car could fit between the tab and the brass case. That solved almost 100% of the problems. I was still gettin upside down primers and I never fully understood what was causing that. I just rationalized that the time I was saving by going from a 550 to a 650 justified a few malfed rounds. It did secretly irritate me though.

After several years of just not being completely satisfied with the 650, I sold it, bought a 1050 and will never look back.

Start checking your primer pockets for crimped primers. We are seeing FC and WCC 40S&W cases with crimped primer pockets, contracted for Coast Guard and Homeland Security. Not quite as annoying as 45ACP with small primer pockets, but a solid second place!

Thanks, everyone. It looks to be a) focus on absolutely consistent pressure on the handle stroke, B) sticking the indicator rod in the primer to tube to "weight" the drop into the magazine, and c) adjusting the primer ram out just a tad. Down to 1 per hundred, all inverted primers. I think I'm still getting some to flip over on the drop.

Thanks, everyone. It looks to be a) focus on absolutely consistent pressure on the handle stroke, B) sticking the indicator rod in the primer to tube to "weight" the drop into the magazine, and c) adjusting the primer ram out just a tad. Down to 1 per hundred, all inverted primers. I think I'm still getting some to flip over on the drop.

I had a couple of issues with primers flipping. I got it to almost nil by filling the pickup tube, flipping it over and gently pushing the last stuck primer a little with my finger nail through the slot and spreading it just enough to get it to drop in, making sure it wasn't inverting then setting it down gently before needing to load it. Once I started doing that, I havn't had a flipped primer in the last 4000+ rounds.

Also - to keep the shellplate from over snapping into the next station and shaking the cases and the powder out of them, I trimmed the spring under ball in the press head. This allowed the shell plate to not have to be cranked down as tight. It smoothly rotates and positively hits the mark but doesn't shake the cases crazy. I think I took about 1/2 a turn off the spring.

That said - the only time I've had issues with seating primers - was using crimped brass. I had inadvertently acquired a bunch of WCC 9mm brass. I fixed them with the swaging tool that Dillon sells. The process sucks a bit - i sort all of the brass and run them through when I have a coffee can full - but it does the job well.

After filling the tube with primers and before turning it up, I like to use the indicator rod to push down primers to the bottom of the tube, then turn over both together. I also leave the rod in the tube until I pull out the pin and the added weight makes the primer column fall straight down the magazine. I feel this eliminates primer flipping.

Edited by André

Start checking your primer pockets for crimped primers. We are seeing FC and WCC 40S&W cases with crimped primer pockets, contracted for Coast Guard and Homeland Security. Not quite as annoying as 45ACP with small primer pockets, but a solid second place!

I have seen some of those FC brass from my range pickups and I toss them in the reject pile. Seconded on the *very* annoying part.... <_<