Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Excellent Drill

Jake Di Vita

I've been screwing around with this one in dry fire tonight. Going to try it live tomorrow.

7 yards. Draw 1, reload 1, reload 1. Depending on skill, set par time anywhere from 3-6 seconds.

I've been at 3.5 and am finding it hard to beat the beep with still getting a good sight picture (in dry fire). This is a fantastic drill for speed (of both the hand and the eye) and draws/reloads.

Let me know what you guys think.

Yes, three shots with 2 IPSC speed loads.

My old drill came from a practice session with Chip McCormick, Jeff Wassom and John Dixon. Chip wanted to do some drill that practiced just the speed load and this was what was finally settled on.

You can do lots of variations on this drill, draw and shoot 1 reload and shoot 2, reload and shoot 3 is very good too. We also used to do a drill based on the El Prez. Turn, shoot 2 on the first target, reload 2 on the middle target, reload 2 on the last target. Chip, Dixon and Jeff were all pretty fair country shooters in their day. Learned lots by shooting with them...

Ran it only once today in live fire. Forget about it until the last 10 rounds.

7 yards, all A's

1st shot - .87

2nd shot - 1.19

3rd shot - 1.27

3.33 total time. I was really on the ragged edge on the draw...called the shot in the bottom left corner of the A box.

Wish I had had some more rounds to practice this with. B)

when I was a L10 shooter, and before I had a timer a majority of my dry fire practice was a draw two, reload two, reload two , reload two on four targets. I'll have to try it again with the open pig. When I went to a fat gun, people asked why, since my reloads were so good. On a good day I could keep up with all the limited shooters in my class.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done this drill and like it, it's good to test the second pouch...

My best time is a 2.66 on this one. I think it went .90 draw, .87 reload, .89 reload. I was pretty happy, averaging better than .90 on a draw, and reloads from the first two pouches. My buddy was loading mags and not looking when I did it, he said the cadence sounded like head shots.

More normal, warmed up times run close to 3.0. I'd say anything under 3.5 ain't too shabby for us mere mortals.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think one-shot drills aren't helpful? I don't think they force you to follow through and you can sort of cheat your way to the next step because of it.

I'm not talking about one-shot transition drills on multiple targets, I'm talking about draws and reloads.

And I thought people did it to save ammo. :P

Good thought, though, working the move to the second pouch. I've been working on the 1st pouch reload, and started to work on the second - kept missing the hand placement on the mag 'cause I was too burned in on the 1st position.

I've been trying to avoid reinforcing my habit of not moving while reloading (turning a reload on the move into a standing reload). How 'bout moving to a second and third position while reloading?

Yeah, that's a good point. But don't all you guys who do one-shot draws and reloads have faster times than your multiple-shot, multiple-target draws and reloads? Doesn't that say something?

Hey... maybe instead of feeling insecure about all these .70 draws and .80 reloads everybody else but me seems to do, maybe I should ask, "Yeah, but what's your time with multiple shots?" :)

I'm not sure we're saying the same thing here. To me that is just a drill to easily check your draw and reload times, splits and transitions are not the point of that drill.

I could fire the same drill with ten rounds fired from each mag, but as some have pointed out that would be a waste of ammo, and then I have to wade through loads of stuff on the timer to find the times I was looking to test.

The 1 reload 1 reload 1 drill is just that, a drill. My timer always shows first shot, last split and last shot, so with only three shots I can check the times for two reloads and a draw with a push of one button.

That being said, Eric has a point; if those same times don't hold up in an El Prez or other multi-shot drill, you may just be folling yourself.

Matt talks about this in his PS4 video-- Draw & 2-shot drills have a slower 1st shot than draw & 1-shot drills.

I got a shooting psychologist interested in this once and he believes it's more or less hardwired into the brain-- "do something, then stop" is easier to process than 'do something, do something else, then stop"