Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Handed Shooter, need IPSA gun

Ben-WSU

Hello everyone:

I have shot during two matches and would like to continue to shoot in IPSA matches. I am looking to shoot with a stock pistol, or a stock with minimal customization. I would also like to avoid the open class because I really don’t want to drop that much money into a handgun yet.

The only catch with this choice is that I am left handed and left eyed. I don’t really mind, except that it makes choosing a pistol a little more difficult.

Right now I am shooing with a stock Beretta 96 Centurion (slightly shorter slide) in 40 S&W.

I would like to stay in with the major power factor, but would consider moving to minor if given a good reason. I don’t have a real opinion right now, but I like the idea that I get higher scores with the major power factor.

Anyone want to weigh in on which gun I should get next, for IPSA competition, and why?

The Springfield XD has ambidextrous magazine release, as does the S&W M&P and Ruger SR9.

Glocks have a magazine release that requires a grip change for a lefty, which is where I am right now with my Beretta, except that the Beretta has the mag release switched to lefty. However, I would consider a switch if given a good reason.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Hello everyone:

I have shot during two matches and would like to continue to shoot in IPSA matches. I am looking to shoot with a stock pistol, or a stock with minimal customization. I would also like to avoid the open class because I really don’t want to drop that much money into a handgun yet.

The only catch with this choice is that I am left handed and left eyed. I don’t really mind, except that it makes choosing a pistol a little more difficult.

Right now I am shooing with a stock Beretta 96 Centurion (slightly shorter slide) in 40 S&W.

I would like to stay in with the major power factor, but would consider moving to minor if given a good reason. I don’t have a real opinion right now, but I like the idea that I get higher scores with the major power factor.

Anyone want to weigh in on which gun I should get next, for IPSA competition, and why?

The Springfield XD has ambidextrous magazine release, as does the S&W M&P and Ruger SR9.

Glocks have a magazine release that requires a grip change for a lefty, which is where I am right now with my Beretta, except that the Beretta has the mag release switched to lefty. However, I would consider a switch if given a good reason.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Here's something that may help your shooting in addressing your magazine release. For what it's worth, I've been shooting for some years. I've always been left eye dominant, left-handed shooter and use my Glock 19. I customized it with a skinny Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight, replaced the magazine release with an extended one, and had the pistol grip stippled and slightly hollowed. In changing mags, I use by middle finger. Keep the movements fluid. Each practice starts off with five minutes of magazine change drills. On a good day, it's 1.3 seconds. On better days, 1.2 seconds

So basically, being left handed isn't a problem with a Glock.

I hope this solves part of your question.

... replaced the magazine release with an extended one,...

In changing mags, I use by middle finger.

So basically, being left handed isn't a problem with a Glock.

+1 on using the middle finger to work the mag release. Some lefties use the trigger finger. I would try both and see what works for you better. With a little practice the technique becomes extremely natural. I own several firearms with reversible mag releases. I keep them all in the "righty" configuration which IMHO should be called "lefty" configuration.

I disagree about the extended mag release button. For me they leave a bloody blister on the inside of my middle finger. I have swapped the mag releases on both of my G-35s to a standard one and actually feel that it is more comfortable to work with.

1. What is IPSA? Did you mean to type IPSC?

2. Where are you located?

3. What is your gun budget?

How you respond to the above may affect the answer... but assuming you are,in the,US and shooting IPSC/USPSA, there are Divisions that you can shoot similar style guns.

Join the shooting org and read up on the rules before making your purchase.

Assuming you meant USPSA, you can shoot your Berretta with minor loads in Production Division. There is no major of scoring in Production div and you will be competitive enough to keep shooting few more matches to see/learn how/what others are shooting.

Regarding being a lefty, use your index finger to drop the mag and operate the slide release. Unless you lack hand strength, only control on a semiauto pistol that is really akward is a 1911 style safety.

In other words keep what you have until you have done the homework and are ready to dive in.

Left handed Glock shooter for 14 years now. The middle finger does the trick. I agree with SSLAV about the standard mag release being the best, but as Lisa said some like the other. It's a three or four dollar part so you can adjust to taste. The new Gen 4 22 has an adjustable grip and a reversible larger mag release and would shoot major power factor like you mentioned. A few mag extensions and a set of sights and I think you could go far in limited for not a lot of cash. I am assuming you meant uspsa or ipsc since I don't recognize ipsa.

Sounds good. I will have to experiment with a factory style mag release.

Sorry for the acronmy screw up on my part. I have been shooting Practical Shooter Matches, so USPSA.

+1 on looking at the rules before settling on a caliber.

Thanks,

Ben

Spent two years as a lefty in Production with a G34.

I've played with a lot of other pistols. IMO, you should be looking at exactly two weapons.

The M&P 9L or Pro

The STI GP-6

Both extremely competitive. The M&P is stupid easy to do a 3 lb trigger job on, with nothing but a dremel. So I chose an M&P 9L. Even if Glock produced a *FULLY* ambi gun next month, I would not switch back.

http://www.youtube.com/memphismechanic

It is easy to work the Glock lefthanded. I've got a video on Youtube titled something like "left handed reloads on steel plates" ... see if you can find that.

I used to ridicule guys wanting to leave the Glock platform because they were lefthanded. After all, I had no problem with it. But now that I've been running a lefty pistol for four months? The actual left-handed controls being worked with your thumb are much more consistent. Period.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The S&W M&P comes with an ambidexrous slide release. The magazine release (from the factory) is located on the left side, but it is easily reversible to the right side. That makes it a true Southpaw gun. I have seen a number of upper level shooters (IDPA Master & EX, and USPSA M, A & B) who used to shoot Glocks... shifted to the M&P... and shot better. The M&P is available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP (check the S&W website for current models, but they have 5 inch Pro Model versions in 9mm and .40 S&W). Trigger work and after market sights are readily available and not expensive. They're good guns, and I've won a pile of IDPA trophies with my 9mm standard and .45 ACP. If you are having Southpaw problems, this might be a way to solve them.

Chris Christian

The M&P from Smith are truely ambidextrous guns. I am a lefty myself and when I

decided to try production, I looked at glock, Smith and the XD from Springfield.

The Smith and Wesson won hands down. Already has slide release on other side, and it is a no brainer to switch the mag release over. Get yourself a 9L or a Pro in

9MM and never look back.

Tom

Edited by Tom Mainus

• 2 months later...

I'm a lefty and shoot the following:

Glock 17, Glock 34 -- USPSA/IDPA

Colt .45 ACP -- Action Pistol

On the Glock 17 and 34 I use my middle finger on my left hand to press the mag release.

On the Colt, I have an ambi mag release.

It took some time to get used to using my middle finger but I've been doing it so long now that it comes natural.

I'm a lefty and use my trigger finger. I can do sub 1 sec reloads with an STI. I can't speak on the other guns. One thing I do is get a Lo-Pro mag button from Dawson at add it. Its small and very thin. It just makes the top of the mag button a little bigger.

Flyin

guess i'm just odd..i like the Glocks and XD's and use my trigger finger for the mag and slide release.. I held the S&W a few times but didnt like the way the trigger and grip felt and didnt see the need to start all over again with all neww holsters,mags etc..i suggest after a match ask a few shooters to try out their guns..