Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saul Kirsch's New Holster

ahtsay

Have you guys seen the new holster (Race Master) at Double Alpha? It's quite interesting and has a resemblance to the Guga Ribas. Has anyone seen a prototype maybe? Any comments?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link. Anyways, its at Saul's website :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly has borrowed quite a bit from the Ribas in general layout. I'm sure the locking mechanism, and many other features are entirely unique...just saying the basics are very similar.

I've got three Ribas holsters now, but I may just order one of these and compare....always looking for a better mousetrap!

http://www.doublealpha.biz/ipsc-holsters-rigs/holsters/race-master-holster?osCsid=1c8c9308ec4a91bd765a169b6f444326

I've been looking for a back up Ribas for awhile, but SS seems to stop selling them already. It used to be listed as "out of stock", now it's not even listed. However, now that this has come along, it might be worth trying. Although I'm not too excited with the name "Race Master" embossed on the side of the holster. It would have been better if they just put some texture on it and left it blank. :)

It would be great if CED sells them. Let us know G-Man.

I'll have one for a T&E review once they hit US soil. I'm told they'll be on this continent in April. ;)

Based on my (extremely limited) understanding of the design, any passing resemblance is external only. The holster uses a completely different locking mechanism. If it's done well, I suspect it might fix all the common complains of various race holsters... I'm pretty interested to give it a whirl and see :)

HI All,

Thanks for your interest in our new holster.

to answer a few of the questions in this post (and without doing any kind of self promotion...):

1. The holster will be availble in the US in April. CED will have them for sure. I expect others who carry our line will too.

2. US retail is $199.95

3. First models are right hand only - but, we do have a left hand prototype already - and hope to have those out by October.

4. First gun types are STI, 1911, Glock, SP01, and Tanfoglio.

5. It is NOTHING like the GR holster! other than that it is without a muzzle support, and mostly machined aluminum.

thanks

Saul Kirsch

I wasn't trying to imply that there was anything untoward going on here, but the general layout is extremely similar to the GR. Same shape body, similar style hanger with height adjustment (although the height adjustment takes place on the opposite end), same general style of ball joint attachment between body and hanger, similar location of the lock, tension adjustment etc.

Honestly, I'm saying that as a positive since I like the way the GR adjusts, the layout, and how it offers nearly unlimited positions. If this holster combines those general traits with an equally secure lock and more progressive tension adjustment (with higher max tension), that's a huge win :cheers:

Bobby and I got to play with one of these at Saul's booth at SHOT Show. It is VERY cool and I tried my best to sweet talk him out of one... no go. He said he had a guy offer him over $500 to take one with him (answer was no)!

Anyway, I can't wait to have one in hand. Now if only they came in pink... :D

HI All,

Thanks for your interest in our new holster.

to answer a few of the questions in this post (and without doing any kind of self promotion...):

1. The holster will be availble in the US in April. CED will have them for sure. I expect others who carry our line will too.

2. US retail is $199.95

3. First models are right hand only - but, we do have a left hand prototype already - and hope to have those out by October.

4. First gun types are STI, 1911, Glock, SP01, and Tanfoglio.

5. It is NOTHING like the GR holster! other than that it is without a muzzle support, and mostly machined aluminum.

thanks

Saul Kirsch

Thanks for the fast follow up!

...Will be interested I feel.

:cheers:

but the general layout is extremely similar to the GR.

I know what you're saying... but in the end, if you really want to get general about it, every single "bikini" style holster shares a lot of traits with the original Limcat holster (the first bikini holster I'm aware of). In the end, there's only so many places to stick a control, and only so many control formats that make sense, so... For a holster to be absent a muzzle platform, most other stuff about it is going to work out to appear outwardly similar to other holsters in the same general category.

Put another way... you say "looks like a GR", but it could just as easily be said that the GR looks like something else, so... :lol:

I'll obviously have more thoughts once I have hands on one... ;)

but the general layout is extremely similar to the GR.

I know what you're saying... but in the end, if you really want to get general about it, every single "bikini" style holster shares a lot of traits with the original Limcat holster (the first bikini holster I'm aware of). In the end, there's only so many places to stick a control, and only so many control formats that make sense, so... For a holster to be absent a muzzle platform, most other stuff about it is going to work out to appear outwardly similar to other holsters in the same general category.

Put another way... you say "looks like a GR", but it could just as easily be said that the GR looks like something else, so... :lol:

I'll obviously have more thoughts once I have hands on one... ;)

Sure, there are only so many options, but the Limcat looks quite a bit different from everything else, in most ways. Neither the Ghost or GR look anything like a Limcat, other than that they don't have a muzzle platform. The Ghost and GR have somewhat similar body shapes, but that's about where any similarity ends.

Contrast that with the GR and the RM where pretty much every part on both of them is substantially similar. Looking at the pic of the RM with the gun mounted I'd bet the GR and RM are within a small fraction of an inch of one another in every dimension. It's hard to imagine all those similarities purely by chance.

Put a pile of bikini holsters together....Limcat, Ghost, GR and RM and only two of them are going to look like fraternal twins ;)

Again, I'm not saying that's a bad thing...I'm actually quite happy about it! :cheers:

Form follows function; Considering the requirements of a bikini-holster, the similarity between designs is to be expected.

What is more important than appearance is the performance, I've tried Ghost, Guga Ribas and LimCat. For me the LimCat (for the SVI) was the best, but as they don't make them for the Tanfoglio, I went for the SpeedSec. I had to modify it a little to stop the binding issues, I will be interested in seeing Saul's holster for the Tanfoglio, his products are very carefully designed.

Any Test and Evaluation of these holsters will hopefully include different models for different guns. Holsters that work for SVI may not work as well for Tanfoglio due to the metal trigger-guard of the Italian guns, that frame tends to dig into the plastic inserts on the holster.

Any Test and Evaluation of these holsters will hopefully include different models for different guns. Holsters that work for SVI may not work as well for Tanfoglio due to the metal trigger-guard of the Italian guns, that frame tends to dig into the plastic inserts on the holster.

The DAA site would seem to imply that more model specific holsters will be available at a later date - so, if a Tanfo won't fly in the current S_I holster, there's a solid chance there will be a later release for it. You'll note that the CZ will have a model specific holster (to accomodate the odd shaped trigger guard, no doubt), as will the Glock. So, Saul is attacking the largest market shares first, with smaller segments to follow...

The DAA site would seem to imply that more model specific holsters will be available at a later date - so, if a Tanfo won't fly in the current S_I holster, there's a solid chance there will be a later release for it. You'll note that the CZ will have a model specific holster (to accomodate the odd shaped trigger guard, no doubt), as will the Glock. So, Saul is attacking the largest market shares first, with smaller segments to follow...

Considering their home market, a version for the Tanfo almost has to be in the plan. R,

If I am reading their web site correctly, It appears you order the holster of your choice, then you can buy other inserts (locking block assemblies) to change your holster to another gun type without buying a completely new holster. :D This is from the DAA web site.

"Gun Compatibility While the Race Master Holster is gun-specific, it is designed to enable you to switch from one gun to another without having to buy a complete new holster. All you have to do is change the relatively inexpensive locking-block assembly, available separately. This flexibility is also a great advantage for resellers - they no longer need to stock a range of different models, as they can simply change the locking-block assembly as needed".

I think I will be giving one a try also when available.

Looks like ced is set for pre orders

Hi Raymond,

We now have the same offer on ceddaa.com – Pre order the new Race Master Holster and receive a FREE! DAA Belt.

All the best!

Best Regards,

Eli Huttner

Business Development Manager

Double-Alpha Academy B.V.

Looks like ced is set for pre orders

Hi Raymond,

We now have the same offer on ceddaa.com – Pre order the new Race Master Holster and receive a FREE! DAA Belt.

All the best!

Best Regards,

Eli Huttner

Business Development Manager

Double-Alpha Academy B.V.

Thanks for the info. Hope these holsters are the ticket...I just pre-ordered one!

:cheers: I saw the proto's at Shot they are sweet. Designed from the shooter point of veiw. It may look similar to other holsters but trust me after talking with saul these are not even close to anything out there. Some real time and design thought went into it. One real interesting desing is you will be able to change gun types with a replacement block for the inside with min. time, just a few minutes and no need to readjust or even remove it from the belt. I will be putting both my race holsters up for sale as soon as they hit the market. I think it is going to set a new standard for race holsters and some others are going to have to step up and put the plastic down. :sight:

Guys, this thing is nice, there is nothing else like it, it has the best features from all other race holsters, and some unique ones as well. The ability to change the block will save shooters who switch platforms some money in the long run, but it will be a while before all the blocks are available. I played with it at SHOT a couple of times, and I am thoroughly impressed. Look for it to arrive in April.