Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People Who Think Ipsc Is Dumb!!!

ogiebb

I'm lucky enough to have not run into anyone at the range who hasn't been helpful yet. But then again, most people aren't terribly comfortable around a 19 yr. old pulling A's at 25 yards. :D

KS

I'll remember to abuse you thoroughly in January! :P

There was a time when I thought IPSC was stupid. It was a long time ago. I was involved in the now defunct National Shooters' League and in PPC shooting. Us old revolver shooters would talk about the running and jumping and screwing around IPSC crowd. Looked like fun, but not much in the precision department. I even remember making comments about how the IPSLOP guys couldn't hit crap and anyone stoopid enough to handicap themselves by shooting a semiauto pistol didn't have a clue. Now you gotta remember the 33 yard NSL target was the size of a pack of cigarettes and the 60 yard target was only four times that size. In 4 finals and 8 qualifying runs I never missed the 60 yard target and that was after the jog up the hill.

I agree that the sporting goods store commandos are a PITA, but there are some guys who make smart remarks about IPSC because on the surface it doesn't appeal to them and they don't understand the game. I know because I was one of those ignorant a$$holes. I think we would be well served to recruit those guys.

BTW, don't get too smug about what an awesome bunch of gunslingers IPSC shooters happen to be. I know several folks who think IPSC is dumb and if you challenge them to a plate rack at fifty yards they will hand you your butt over and over...

Plate rack at fifty! Man, I triple dog dare you to put that in a stage. Sounds like fun. I can hear the howls now.

I haven't encountered much negativism about IPSC, if I did I would just say that it is the most fun shooting I've ever had, and that they are missing out.

I have a friend here in town who is a big black powder fan. Sharps, .69 caliber flintlocks, etc...probably drools over matchlocks. I don't have anywhere near the attention span to do that sort of shooting, but my man grooves on it. Can't we all just get along?

I shoot mainly IDPA and I know what you guys are talking about. Personally I like both sports but shoot mainly IDPA because of my budget and it fits me a little better. There are friendly folks in both, but there are still quite a few that don't make newcomers feel at home. The first IPSC match that I shot, I watched a Master Class shooter make hits with his Glock M-26 so fast that it was hard to believe. The same guy and his friend helped me fix my 1911 after the match, and showed me how to tension an extractor.Also, they let me fire an open pistol for the first time( sounded like uncorking a 500 gallon champagne bottle).Since then, that club phased out IPSC and went all IDPA. This needs to stop. Politicians are constantly chipping away at our gun rights because 70 million or more gun owners won't fight them together. Compete in what you like, but stand together at the polls.We need more ranges, more shooting sports, and more freedom!

John:

Our newest club member is a black powder rifle competitor. He loves them both.

John:

The fifty yard plate shooters are guys like Gavin. You know, the PPC revolver shooter at the steel match who comes in near the top against the hicap IPSC crowd while making those standing reloads. We need to get guys like him into IPSC. He would make revolver Master in a month.

I had the honor to shoot a "tactical" mainly for police officers, but it was open to the public. Well a bud and I decided to go, being the only civilians that came, we were of course the outsiders and didn't quite fit in with the "Pro's"

In attendence was my CCW instructor (and local PD Major) who boasted throughout the entire class about how good a shooter he was and how he'd never be taken down in a gunfight without taking out his share of "bad guys" This guy loathed IPSC and IDPA, I think mainly because his range is direct competition with our shooting range.

Well to make a long story short, we cleaned their clocks by a HUGE margin, my friend took first and I was only a few points behing him in second. Third place was something like 180 points behind me. It was hilarious watching these guys shoot, 3-4-5 second reloads were the norm.

I invited him out to practice with us sometimes, he respectfully declined :lol:

Rufus, maybe the Major can find some nice non-competitive bad guys. ;)

Ron, I would definately like to see shooters from other diciplines join USPSA and IDPA too. What I've seen are a few gun owners that call themselves shooters, show up, bitch, and not come back because the COF was too....(fill in the blank) They only regurgitate what they have heard about USPSA from some "tactical" guy, or worse, someone who does his shootin' with a typewriter. What they end up finding out is that IDPA can be quite challenging also. Maybe they need to invent a sport where we hide behind cover and try to negotiate the brown targets into letting the white ones go. :lol:

BTW, guys who can clean fifty yard plate racks, fast or slow, can opine anything they want and I'll be glad to listen. ;)

Plate rack at fifty!  Man, I triple dog dare you to put that in a stage.  Sounds like fun.  I can hear the howls now.

I haven't encountered much negativism about IPSC, if I did I would just say that it is the most fun shooting I've ever had, and that they are missing out. 

I have a friend here in town who is a big black powder fan.  Sharps, .69 caliber flintlocks, etc...probably drools over matchlocks.  I don't have anywhere near the attention span to do that sort of shooting, but my man grooves on it.  Can't we all just get along?

to make it more sadistic put no shoots on the back of the plates and one plate activates 2 swingers with no shoots at the same range

:D:D:D

I had the same experience with a non ipsc shooter. I was shooting a 15 yard ipsc target fast. real fast as fast as i can see the sight inside the a zone and finished a 17 round mag.

A guy near me commented on my shooting. He said that my shooting sounded like a machine gun and i should slow down so I would be able to hit the target. (arrogantly)

Then I said i did not miss one shot. He looked at my target. 17 shots inside the a zone and he walked away since his students were telling him that they should have hired me to teach them shoot.

After a while one of his students told me that the reason the guy aporached me at that time, is that he was trying to recruit me to pay him how to shoot :)

Sam:

I completely agree with what you guys are saying. I too see the guys who blow hard and shoot lousy. They show up once and go away mad. I am also saying there are a lot of guys who can shoot who just don't understand the game and they blow us off as the spray and pray crowd. I am sure most of those folks would play the game if they gave it half a chance. I wish I could figure out a way to get the avid pistoleros involved.

It's always a problem when people are partitioned into "Them and Us".

I shot IPSC for a while with the UKPSA long ago. In the UK, some of the "Target Shooter" types were hoping that IPSC would be banned since this kind of "cowboy shooting" gave the pistol sports a bad name since it wasn't about accuracy and anyone could spray bullets.

They got their wish ... and found that, to most people, all handgun sports were the same and thay got swept up in the ban.

I remember watching someone, who I suppose would be an IPSC GM these days if IPSC still existed in the UK, put 5 shots into the X ring at 25 yards in a couple of seconds and they were all touching. The underbreath comments from the "Target Shooters" on the other side of the range stopped after that :rolleyes:

Kevin

I think we should bring'em over to our side and try to encourage them to come shoot a match or at least watch one. For the most part if someone is safe with a gun and likes to pull a trigger they're good people as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to try to shoot a few IDPA matches this year and make a few converts if I can.

I know thier are some people who will never see IPSC as a true test of skill. I met one around a month ago who had been to all the big name tactical schools and his job was teaching security guards and body guards to use a handgun. His opinion was that IPSC just teaches high speed gun handling skills. He also thought every time he shot an IDPA match he was practicing for a real gun fight, but he felt that the distances were to far away and 95% of all targets should be withn 5 yards.