Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Shotgun For Limited?

rtr

I shot my first 3 gun match this weekend, despite doing terrible I had a lot of fun. I own a couple ARs, but no shotgun, I borrowed an 1100 Competitionmaster for the match, after needing some lubrication it ran great and I liked it. What other guns should I consider? Are Benellis really better than 1100s?

after weighing all of my options, i settled on a Browning Gold. It is basicly the same gung as the Win SX2 Practical but i can use it for all types of shooting. I have never in the last year and a half had any malfunctions of any kind. With only a few mods, i.e. mag tube and spring kit it will run with 8+1 with any type of load. 081640.jpg

I'd go with a Remington, either 1100 or 11-87.

I shot a Benelli once. After firing one round, I knew I'd made the right choice with my 1100. The next seven shots confirmed it. Too much felt recoil compared to the 1100 or 11-87.

So is the consensus Benelli perhaps slightly better gun, more felt recoil. 1100 little less quality, less recoil? Where can I get an 1100 competitionmaster for a decent price?

I like the Benelli because it has a mag block. Makes loading slugs when needed easy. 1100 and 1187 are high quality guns with less felt recoil. Shoot them both (don't for get the X2 and Gold) and take the one you are most comfortable with. TXAG

I'm new to three gun and wanted a new shotgun as well. I searched the old posts, read the rants and the raves.

No one can say anything good about Benelli's service or attitude, nor do they contribute towards our sport.

I ordered JP's limited shotgun. I figured if I purchased my shotun from JP I could support both Remmington and JP both! Both companies support 3 gun and don't give you their butt to kiss, so they get my money.

The fact that I love my JP AR also had a big influence. Great company to deal with.

Either a Remington from John Paul at JP Rifles or a Benelli from Benny Hill @ Triangle Shooting Sports will be a good investment.

The Benelli kicks more but has less to bust, the Remington shoots softer but is a more complicated action. When properly setup and fed either is just as reliable and competitive a choice. As mentioned earlier, try to get some time on each type and let that make up your mind for you.

The only factory stock shotgun that is 100% ready to go for Limited/Tactical 3Gun right out of the box is the Remington Competition Master.

I would talk to John Paul, or Benny Hill if I wanted a real hot shjt competition shotgun.

Regards,

Shoot a Browning Gold Turkey Stalker before you buy a Remington or Benelli, I tried many and found the Gold to be the best shooting of the bunch, add a Briley extension and spring kit and don't look back.

The Benelli does kick a lot more and although it cycles fast the jolt it gave me slowed me down.

The Remington is the Old standby for soft shooting, but the Gold is softer and faster IMHO.

I have owned them all, the 1100, the M1 super 90, the Browning Gold and now the SX2 Mk1. Hands down the SX2 is the best I have owned. I shoot nothing but factory Federal reduced buck, slugs, and 2.75 and 3 dram shot . The gun had 3 malfunctions in the first 4 shots, but has ran flawless since. I am more than happy with a box stock gun that cost me $716.00 (dealer cost delivered). I'm sticking with it.

Stingerjg,

Nice looking gold, hopefully mine will look like that in a few weeks.  B)

What length barrel is that ? and what make / capacity mag tube ??

I assume that is a 3GG saddle as well ?

Mike

its a 24" barrel with a Sure Cycle mag extension on it. It will hold 8+1. I also installed a mainspring from a 3 1/2" mag to improve function. it will still shoot the light 7/8oz loads. Yes that is a 3GG 8round saddle.

I really like my 1187, but if we're talking custom Benelli's don't forget to give beven a call at grams enginering, I've shoot guns he's customized, and they made me lust after an italian job. It also doesn't hurt that taran shot one while winning this years top limited nats.

if we're talking custom Benelli's don't forget to give beven a call at grams enginering

I totally forgot about Grams Engineering (sorry Beven)

I got a good look at an Open Benelli he put together for Matt Burkett at the MGM Ironman earlier this year, and If I was ever gonna' trade in my trusty Remy, it would have to be for something that nice.

--

Regards,

i've been having good luck with my winchester X2 practical. gas operated, good sights has it all for three gun.

Skeeter let me shoot his Winchester today and I was really surprised at how much I liked it. Recoil was downright soft for a non-comped or ported gun and it ran like a champ. The only problem I had was a little trigger freeze, but I think I could learn to operate it a bit better after more than nine shots!

It cycles smartly, too!

I was also impressed by the sights. It came with a fiber optic rifle sights, with the rear folding down when you don't want to use it. It also has a rail to mount a scope if you so choose. Plus it's setup to use choke tubes too.

You don't need an EZ Loader gate, but I would like to add an extended charging handle if I ever get one.

It's a strong contender against the Remingtion CM in my opinion and way beyond a Benelli shoulder buster.

I know this isn't the classifieds but if you are interested in the Brownings I have a Gold done by Briley with all the bells and whistles, I tried it and it shoots much softer than my Benelli and may load faster but after 15 years with the same Benelli, I just can't shoot the Browning as well and would be willing to let it go to move on to upgrading my rifle gear. IHave shot some extremely fast splits and target to targets with it, but it dowsn't point the same and I haven't been able to make the transition. I think the Browing is a fine gun and would do anyone well for any type of shooting, I know the Remington CM is also great for this game, but I'm weak and the light hard kicking Benelli is all I can hold up. If anyone is interested give me and email. JeffCramblit@hotmail.com