Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AH1G

outerlimits

we are testing the new AH-1Z here at Pax River NAS...pretty sweet!

so why the 4 rotors on the 1z?

Greater lift capacity, maneuverability, and speed. Sad part is that it eliminated the "whop whop" sound. The avionics is top notch with nearly a full glass cockpit

35 years young and this still is a menacing bird!

Not nearly as menacing as those who fly it.

God bless all our men and women in the sandbox and have mercy on those who decide to f#@k with them.

I was talking to a RAF pilot who ran around with the new Lynx and they said that the best upgrade for the AH1 would be more rotor blades and slow the rotor speed down to remove some of the sound signature. He reckons he can hear a Cobra coming over the sound of the turbines inside the Lynx with a helmet on. But you knew the cavalry was coming if you are on the ground, but so do they.

Stealth and a big punch, what more could a soldier want.

Wish we had something like that down here.

I was at Phu Bia in 1968 when the Corps brought the first cobras into country and after discharge I worked at Bell FW for a while and then at the Corpus Christi Army Depot( yes we did Navy and AF birds too) until 2003. Ive been retired 7 years so I,m a little behind but not a lot. I worked on those airframes for 35 years. From what they were in the late 60s to when I retired is simply amazing. They have been a good platform and still have a lot to give.----------Larry