Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Mags For Ipsc???

PistolPete

I'm curious how many mags everyone uses for IPSC. I currently have 5 preban hi-caps for my SVI Limited gun. Should I buy a few more? I was thinking I would need around 7 but one of my buddies said I'm fine with 5. What are your thoughts on this?

Pete

Pete,

5 mags will be more than enough for just about any situation. I doubt that you would normally carry more than 4 mags with you at any time. I shoot Open and usually start with 3 mags including the one in the gun unless it is a standard excercise that requires multiple mandatory mag changes. Limited guys have lower capacity and may want to have the 4th available in case of problems. With 20+ rounds per mag, 2 magazines could handle just about any stage without experiencing a problem.

Leo

Pete, for a 40 limited gun(double stack) at least 4. I have 7 but seldom carry more than 5 to a match. I go to the line with 4, 3 on the belt,1 for the gun. Sometimes all 5 and maybe just 3. Biggest thing is that they all work. Keep them clean and if 1 lays down on you bag it til you can fix it and test it.Larry

For ipsc competitions in the Philippines you really only need 3 maximum for a stage.

The longest stage we have here is 32 rounds for a long course. for my 40 svi using 124mm mags plus one basepad, you have a capacity of 17 plus 1/ so you only need to change mags usually once if you do not re engage or miss a lot.

17*2=34+1 in chamber 35 rounds.

But I personally have 5 to make sure :D:D:D .

I think in the USA shooting uspsa, you can have a round count up to 60 rounds? Correct me if I am wrong/. If so you need a lot of mags.

For new Limited shooters on a budget...I tell them they can get by with two hicaps and two or three ten-rounders.

There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

If I were buying a new SV...4 hicaps is all I would get (assuming all they work).

Depends, I think, on what division you shoot and where.

West Coast US, lots of high round count stages - occasionally 40 plus (though it's been trending down in recent years). That's one in the gun plus two for most of what you'll see if you go high cap Limited.

If you shoot Production or L10, then you better have four, and maybe five plus one, since "shoot 'em as you see 'em" high round count field courses mean running the risk of running dry frequently, unless you reload a lot, and usually that means leaving rounds in the spent mag.

Now, that's just what you bring to the line. Most folks I know have extras for backup in case a mag gags at a match, or to use when tuning/plating/fixing their primaries.

That being said, I've used the same four hicaps for Limited for the past eight years, and the third on my belt almost never gets touched. Three are off being tuned by Beven Grams, and I am using my backups.

Back east, and I think internationally, round counts are lower, and the # of mags needed is perhaps one or two less.

Dont forget big matches of the "Shoot all 10 stages in 1/2 day" type. I have 9 mags and one time I was shooting a dirty, filthy, muddy, 1/2 day match. There was little time to clean mags, with six squad members, one shooting, one on deck, one recovering and one in the bathroom leaves the other 2 to paste and we were crusin' since it was the last day(RO's ready for going home). I used up almost every mag until the last stage. I started it with 2 clean mags and a sorta clean mag in my pocket. This was an extreme example but isn't that what you are trying to avoid. I do not believe in cleaning mags between stages. That day I did.

If I were buying a new SV...4 hicaps is all I would get (assuming all they work).

Ditto.

4 is the mags number I use in Standard Division since 4 years.

Never replaced the pads, followers and springs. They just work fine and are more than enough for every stage I have shot.

Pete- 5 is one more than I have ever needed for a match shooting in Limited. This year I am going to shoot in Limited-10 and I am buying 2 more mags. We get round counts over 40 in the MD/PA area's so the extra mags may be needed. If you are shooting Limited then you have plenty.