Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanted: A Good Single Stack 1911 'smith

pisgahrifle

Over the next year or so I'm going to try to put together enough parts for a new single stack. I've got a pretty good idea what I want, and I'm going to be buying according to that plan. Does anyone have any recomendations for a smith I can go to and say, "This is what I have, this is where I want to go with it" and have them be able to build it? I wish I could just send it off to someone and have it done all at one time, but on a teacher's salary that just ain't gonna happen. Suggestions?

Brian Hawley at Expiramental Machining is your man. Top notch, supperior work done the way YOU want it. I think he is underpaid. I have also found that EGW's prices are more than fair. As for their reputation, I think its beyond question.

D.C. Johnson

I should be getting a full house Caspian single stack 9MM in the next two weeks from Virgil Tripp. IMHO he is one of the best kept secrets in the smithing world. He gets a lot of attention for his plating but does first rate work at very reasonable prices.

Call him and ask him what it will cost for him to build you a full house gun. When you finish scraping your jaw off the floor make arriangements to hide your credit card bill from the wife.

EGW is excellent (they did a bunch of work for me back in April) but a full house gun from George and his crew will take in excess of 12 months. Matt McClearn worked learned his trade from John Nowlin and George Smith but I have no personal experience with him.

Anybody had any work done by a fellow name of Jim Garthwaite or Ted Yost?  Thoughts, opinions?

Both are outstanding gunsmiths. Jim was the American Pistolsmith's smith of the year for '03. Last time I checked he was 3-4 months on a full house gun but is very picky about which parts he will build a gun with.

Ted Yost is another excellent smith. For years he was the smithy at Gunsite and has 4 or 5 top notch guys working for him now. I don't know his turnaround time but have been told it is close to a year for full house work. It might be a little shorter now.

http://www.yost-bonitz.com/index2.shtml

Both guys are excellent gunsmiths who are more than capable of building you a tack driver.

Two other names are Don Williams at the action works and David Sams of Sams Custom gunworks.

http://samscustomgunworksusa.com/pages/724929/index.htm

I had both do extensive work, Jim did a fantastic job on a Springfield 9mm SS, his attention to detail is amazing and it's a real shooter. Ted did a Hi-Power, IMHO he is one of the best in the business for BHP (a lot of his 1911 work is displayed here (LTW)).

Jim will be getting another one of my SS in the near future ;).

John Harrison of Precision Gunworks does excellent work; I've had several guns worked on by him, including a full house custom Caspian, and they all run great. My CDP gun is a DW Patriot tuned by John. But be prepared to wait... :)

I will also second rubberneck's advise to talk to Virgil. I'm waiting for a couple of guns to be finished by Virgil as we speak (complete custom builds from the ground up). His prices are very reasonable, and while other smith's wait times are measured in months and even years, Virgil's wait times are measured in weeks.

Hey rubberneck... Let's keep this secret to ourselves, would ya? I don't want Virgil's waiting list to grow as long as others. ;)

Over the next year or so I'm going to try to put together enough parts for a new single stack.  I've got a pretty good idea what I want, and I'm going to be buying according to that plan.  Does anyone have any recomendations for a smith I can go to and say, "This is what I have, this is where I want to go with it" and have them be able to build it?  I wish I could just send it off to someone and have it done all at one time, but on a teacher's salary that just ain't gonna happen.  Suggestions?

Bob Hunter of Hunter Customs built mine. He did a very good job on it and I thought for a reasonable price.