Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Guns Of Kellyn & Kurtm

gunny

Awesome video, you guys can really shoot.

Spill the beans for us newer shooters trying to improve; shotgun model,,, modifications; gas system, trigger, stock LOP,,, Gunsmith, loads;,, slugs,,,spreaders, etc.

Thanks.

I'm shooting a Benelli M1 Field as modified by THE Bennie Hill of Triangle Shooting Sports: lightened bolt, fiber optic front, mag tube (built by Bennie), modified follower to prevent Benelli thumb, 3gungungear.com side and foreend saddles plus whatever elase magic he does. Bennie is putting a rear sight on the vented rib right now. Bennie is it done yet?????

I'm lucky in that factory LOPs almost always work for me so the stock is .... stock.

The slugs that I've been shooting are Federal Tactical (with the cool blue hulls). The birdshot is S&B 1 1/8 ounce #7 1/2. I don't use spreaders.

Now my retired Rem 1187 trigger has the best trigger EVER on a shotgun (still 1 1/2 lbs for years and zillions of rounds) done by Jake Kempton (now of JP) but the damn shotgun (not the trigger) kept breaking so I don't compete with it anymore. I believe my Benelli trigger is stock which is good enough.

The biggest differences between me and Kurt are:

1) I like interchangeable chokes (I was using improved in the vid) and Kurt welded a modified into his gun. While modified is the best all around, I like the versatility of interchangeability. In particular, I like to use a full choke on far poppers (25 yard plus)as I feel it takes them faster.

2) Kurt loads faster but I shoot faster (although in my calculations on the vid, Kurt's loading is only about 1 to 1.5 sec. faster)

3) I'm younger and better looking;

4) Kurt brews better dark beer than I do;

Lets' see. Benelli, shortened 5/8" and a limb saver pad. The bolt has been lightened and modified to be able to load shells into the mag without the bolt being all the way locked into battery. The lifter has been welded up, and the barrel WAY ported out. It has a trigger job to 2 1/2 lb. and a heavier lifter spring. It has a flip up rear sight dovetailed into the rear of the 21" vent rib barrel with a LIGHT MODIFIED 1" extended choke silver soldered in, and is capable of 5 shot groups that are 2" at 50 yds w/ rem low recoil slugs or rem full power. The front sight is a Hi-Vis competition sight with the largest green light pipe installed. The extention is a 9 round aluminum tube with a real cool mag clamp recess lathed in. The reciever has been hevily ported to ease loading and remove ALL sharp edges. the lifter has been polished and smoothed. I run standard Benelli springs both in the recoil tube and mag tube. I run the "C" stock shim set as this is a field gun, not a super90. Outside of the bolt being lightened by Triangle Shooting Sports, and the lifter being welded up by Pat Kelly ( Oklahoma ) all the work was done by me including making the extention tube, and all the bolt modifications, like being able to load the carrier, and load the tube out of battery. I have also "retimed" the lifter pawl. It will run 2 1/2 dram 1 oz. loads but I use the Federal multi-purpose found at Wal-mart 3 drm 1 1/8 oz. ( I'm a cheap guy ) and Rem low recoil slugs to 50 and full power Rem slugs to 100. I use either Kent or Fiocci spreaders, but not very often. The coolest feature is that the whole gun is Mossy Oak cammo, and Kelly Neil hates it :D Oh yea I forgot I also made my own "speed tab" after seeing the one offered by Sped Shooters as it looked like it would come off too easy. I also really pared down the stock bolt handle so it is only as wide as the slimest part and shortened it so it doesn't get in the way. No big handles for me! I also modified the interceptor latch pin to a solid pin instead of the roll pin they come with. I can't think of anything else untill I sign off so that should do it for now. :D

I may be slower than Benny/Kelly and not as good to look at but I'm drinking MY dark beer and they are NOT! ( Well Kelly might have a couple left ) :rolleyes: KURTM

Claudio:

See I said that was all I could remember! I also drilled a 1/16" hole in the sight and rib twards the rear holder loop just off to the left side and put in a 1/16" roll pin to stop the sight from moving. Yes I stay with the green for everything! KURTM

I suspect that one of the characteristic of both Kurt's and Kelly's shotguns are that they show wear around the loading ports from all of the loading practice that they do. Yes they have pretty tricked out Benellis, but that not why the're fast.

I suspect that one of the characteristic of both Kurt's and Kelly's shotguns are that they show wear around the loading ports from all of the loading practice that they do.  Yes they have pretty tricked out Benellis, but that not why the're fast.

I'm sure it is the case on both shotguns :lol:

On that note, I wonder if you can wear out a Benelli (at the interceptor latch or latch pin) from too much practicing <_<