Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to start speeding up...

Birch

Do retriever puppies get a rubber bird to naw on before their ready to hunt?  Hell yes son!,....start speeding up yesterday!!

Go fast (safely)....accuracy will come....

(and don't let these guys tell you diffrerent) :)

When I practice I  shoot  for accuracy striving for small,

tight groups..

When I shoot IPSC I go as fast as I can (while still being safe) and me thinks that my accuracy will catch up someday......;)

I only slow down in IPSC when I start getting alot of misses.

This is probably the wrong approach, but I dont care.

I am paying to play this game so I play it the way that gives me the most "bang for my buck".

Sometimes this bird flies and sometimes I crash.

But it is all about having FUN....

IPCS is as much fun as I can have with my clothes on...

Note: I edited this post a tad from it's original posting...

"Just wondering when to start doing speedwork vs group shooting."

If you don't separate the two, the answer is easier to see. The object of shooting is to hit the target. Now in IPSC shooting, the object becomes to hit the target as quickly as possible. That's where it gets tricky, and subsequently makes IPSC shooting one of the greatest (sporting) challenges on the planet.

First, we must decide "what is the target"? On steel, this decision is easy. On paper, usually my decision is the A box.

When practicing stages or competing, if you're the type that never (or seldom) misses your intended targets, you must learn the subtlety of what calling your shots really MEANS. Then you will NATURALLY speed up in accordance with your intention of hitting the A box (anywhere) as quickly as possible.

If you miss frequently, learn to read your gun (better) so you don't have "surprise misses."

Therein lies the power of READING EACH SHOT AT THE INSTANT THE GUN FIRES. (Sorry for yelling.  You won't shoot slower or more carefully than necessary. And you won't shoot quicker than you can hit the target. But to understand this you must start simply and from the beginning:

What MUST I do to be successful? And then, precisely, what am I actually doing? This will open the door of change. Remember - the object is to KNOW, at the instant the gun fires, if the shot hit the intended target ANYWHERE (on the intended scoring area). (That's the subtle part.) If you don't establish clear intent as to what your objective is, it's difficult to proceed - successfully.

be

Brian is right (big suprise huh..LOL.).

When I live-fire practice my goal is to put every bullet into the same hole every time and I take as much time as I need to do this.

When I shoot IPSC I try to do the same thing but I do it as fast as I can...(sometimes even faster than I am capable of {can you say Mike?}), but my goal is still the same.

Both sides of the same coin.

Heads I win

Tails you lose

• 2 months later...

bluemeanie,

I'd say it's time for you to start turning it up a notch, but not so much that you lose sight of the fundamentals of group shooting...follow?

BTW I noticed Corky shooting ESP/SS, tell him I said "Hi".  I believe I shot with him at the Single Stack Classic, he's a great guy.

Bill

Thanks for reviving the thread blue.  It's just what I've been struggling with lately.  

I've posted several times lately that I'm working on my accuracy.  I think its working because my scores are up towards the class winners.  But my times are still 5 to 10 seconds slower.  

Benos said, " When practicing stages or competing, if you're the type that never (or seldom) misses your intended targets, you must learn the subtlety of what calling your shots really MEANS. Then you will NATURALLY speed up in accordance with your intention of hitting the A box (anywhere) as quickly as possible."  I feel like I'm 'kind' of calling my shots.  Maybe I just don't get what that really means.  I think I've read most of  the post on the subject.  Maybe I'm waiting for a piano to land on my head.  I know its frustrating as hell to be so slow!!!

I've been reading some of Steve Andersen's posts. (thanks Steve)  I'm trying to shift more of my time from live fire to dry fire.  Believe it or not today was the first time I've used the PAR function on my timer.  The interesting thing was as I was playing around I set the timer for a .80 draw.  I couldn't really do that,  close but not there yet.  Then when I set it to 1.0 it seemed like I had plenty of time.  The fasted I've ever timed a live fire draw was 1.20 or so and an A hit.  Not consistant though.  I'm probably still 1.30 to 1.40 with a good A hit consistantly.

I started my quest for better accuracy because I was so sick with my self over 'stupid' mikes.  I have finished higher than some C and B shooters who shot faster but had bad hits/mikes and that feels good.  But watching guys that are 20 yrs older than me (I'm 36) smoke me by 10 second or more when I thought I was really hitting it is really frustrating!!!  Man do I need to practice more!!!

Oh well just more inane ramblings from the resident eternal newbie.  I just thought it was interesting when you said "By the numbers, is it time for me?"  I know nothing about IDPA so I'm assuming the rating you listed is really great.  Maybe the hits score isn't what you were refering too.

"Thanks for reviving the thread blue.  It's just what I've been struggling with lately."

No prob. IDPA scoring is simplicity itself. It shows the raw time, and the number beside it is points down (poor hits, penalties, etc.). Everybody in each division is held to the same PF, and supposedly, you're only shooting against those in the same class. Only that's crap, because you're shooting against everybody.

I revived this thread, mostly because a couple of those fellas whose times are close to mine are pretty new to competitive shooting, whereas I've been at it for a couple of years. I have improved (I was slow and inaccurate.), but compacency isn't advancing me any.

BTW, I'll be using that PAR time trick. Never woulda thought of it.

I did a fun drill tonite.

Start at 20 ft. at the buzzer, draw and fire an A as fast as you know you got the A.

Move it back 5ft and repeat.

Keep moving back 5 ft after every shot til you're at 75 ft.

Take as much time as you need to shoot an A, but KNOW you got the A without looking.

Now do it again with two shots at each distance.

Then do it Strong hand only, then weak hand only.

Voila...You're calling your shots!

If you are a stickler for details, you'll record your times at each distance and compare week to week...

SA

Steve,  I'm going to try that drill in the next day or so.  It sounds great!!!   I just got the parts to fix my press today.  Had to save my current supply for next week end!!!  ( Lately it seems I'm always running out of ammo!!!)  Thanks for the drills in e-mail.  (Just what I wanted old saint N!!!)   Like I said,  when I get a chance to absorb it more I'll have lots of questions, THANK YOU!!!.

Benos,  I've noticed your changing the other parts of the site.   Do you think you could put in a 'dummy translator'.   Every time I read one of your post it takes me forever to really get what your saying!!!  Admittedly I'm an infant in this sport but I'm not an intellectual 'mike' either.  (well some days!!!)  I earned a B.S. in aeronautics from the GREATEST university in the big ten but each time I read one of your post its like you wrote it in greek.  Maybe you could start an 'IPSC for dummies'  forum.  I'd probably be the only one there so I guess I would moderate.  But at least I would finally be among my contemporaries!!!    

I've been going back through "the book" a lot lately and have realized that if/when I absorb/believe/trust/apply all of Brian's prior experience, I'll save myself a lot of time.

Have you guys read the book?

Many of Benos' post are expansions of concepts from the book. I re-read it in small sections, and always find something I can apply to my current plateau.

SA

Yea, I've read it.  But I kind of did it backwards.  I would pick it up and when I found an interesting heading I would read that section.  I just was looking through it again and realized there are some sections I skipped right through!!!

I'm going to start over and read it from the front.  I was kind of joking about not 'gettin' it most of the time.  I enjoy reading all the 'zen like approach' postings from you better shooters and of course benos.  Thanks for reminding me that I have 'the book' thats just full of that stuff!!!

I was noticing that it's hard to digest everything in one reading...Not hard to read, it's just that there's som much there to sink in.

also, it's amazing how many single sentence gems are in there.

My current fave is...

If you're tense, you're probably worried about results.

How true.

SA

• 4 months later...