Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automatic Bullet Feeder

Does anyone have any first hand experinece with the GSI bullet feederfor the Dillon 1050? I have been reading on this site that many have purchased the KISS bullet feeder with much sucess but I am leary of doing away with the powder check station on my 1050. I saw one of the GSI unts at the Shot Show but did not have a KISS unit to compare it with. The price difference is not a factor, but I am very interested in which unit is the most reliable having the fewest jams.

Thanks

Never seen yet, but I've talked a lot about it with Eric Grauffel (who 's selling it on his website ...).

It seems "the ultimate" bullet feeder but it's very much expensive: the reason why is because you have almost to replace ALL the upper-part of the 1050 with the new stuff .....

Eric says that there's a huge difference between the GSI and the KISS bullet feeder (and the price says too ....).

Never seen yet, but I've talked a lot about it with Eric Grauffel (who 's selling it on his website ...).

It seems "the ultimate" bullet feeder but it's very much expensive: the reason why is because you have almost to replace ALL the upper-part of the 1050 with the new stuff .....

Eric says that there's a huge difference between the GSI and the KISS bullet feeder (and the price says too ....).

Go to both the GSI site and KISS site and read the testimonials. That should help you decide.

I bought the KISS because the GSI wasn't working right, and I didn't like the fact that I had to purchase new and different toolheads for each caliber.

The support from Roger at KISS is phenominal.

I also have a post on the tesimonials for KISS.

Edited by RePete

I originally bought the KISS because of the design - I load a variety of different calibers, and wanted to be able to put it on any toolhead, rather than the GSI design, which *replaces* the toolhead (means I'd have to buy a GSI toolhead for every caliber)

Since then, I have been *delighted* with the KISS. It runs and runs and runs.... and, I can't say enough about Roger's support.

KISS... you won't regret it

B

• 3 weeks later...

I have two of the GSI feeders and one KISS. I purchased the GSI’s because I wanted to keep the powder check (shooting light charges of fast powder). The feeders are very well built and worth the $250 per copy IMO (and you can convert them to different calibers for less). I can’t say the same about the collator design the only one I messed with jammed frequently (with 147 9mm). I originally built my own then later cloned the very simple but effective KISS design. I purchased the KISS feeder for .223 (GSI had a .223 feeder at the shot show but it’s not in production). It is a simple but effective setup and I don’t miss the powder check with .223. I guess “if money’s no object” (it always is) I would suggest the GSI feeder and the KISS collator. No matter which you choose both Xavier and Roger are great fellows to do business with.

• 1 year later...
how are they using cast .45 bullets? will they jam or will you need to keep them clean? -chris

It's not recommended that lead be used in them, but, if you spray the interior of the collator and the bullet dropper you can use lead. You will still be cleaning the parts anyway.

OK, I bought a Mr.BulletFeeder a few months back and love it.

However, to be fair, I checked out the GSI website for a look.

While the GSI looks like it has a more expensive and complicated construction and installation, I can't seem to notice any real advantage over the KISS/Mr.BulletFeeder.

Am I missing something obvious?

• 1 month later...

I posted this in another thread on the subject.

...............................re GSI Bullet Feeders

I tried one on my 1050 and couldn't get it to work reliably.

It was a real pain... because you have to remove the Dillon tool head and use the one supplied by GSI. You also have to relocate the case feeder...to the back.

The issues I had:

The cam that operates the bullet plate just wouldn't work right and wouldn't rotate all t he time...so the bullets wouldn't feed. That was the deal killer. I was able to get about 100 through without a jam...then it stopped working again. I'm fairly mechanically inclined...but I just gave up.

Where you relocate the case feeder also causes a few issues. One...there is a gap with the replacement tube that transports the cases from the collator to the base feeding station...it did cause the odd case to jam in the funnel... The one that really perplexed me is once you relocate the case feeder (and there's only one location) you can no longer feed primers in. The new location of the case feeder get's in the way of being able to hold the primer tube vertically to refill the primer feed. I still can't believe someone would design something that stupid.

The one I bought was previously owned...but never used. I have no idea how old it was...and if these issues have been addressed in a newer version.

Anyway...I bought a Mr Bulletfeeder instead. Rick called me at work yesterday...and it was in the mail and one the way before the day was out.

Very nice guy...

FYI...the GSI was a nice looking piece of kit...and it would have allowed me to keep the powder check die on station 6...but far too many issues (IMO)

Edited by Quigley

how are they using cast .45 bullets? will they jam or will you need to keep them clean? -chris

had posted this in another thread on this subject - I've got about 30,000 rounds loaded with lead bullets through the KISS bulletfeeder on my 650 - mostly .45 ACP 200 gr LSWC and .38 special loading either 125 gr rn or 147gr truncated nose .355 bullets (taper crimping). have generally no problems running lead projectiles through the bulletfeeder but you do need to stop every 500 - 1000 rounds and do a diligent cleaning of the bullet collator wheel and the inside of the feeder assembly (including the bullet dropper). Issue is that bullet lube collects on those surfaces and produces a sticky buildup that will impair function and (eventually) introduce jams. this may be in part to the bullet's i'm using (Valliant) where the bullet lube is more sticky (and less hard) then something like Oregon Trail. Valliants are a <lot> cheaper so I don't mind having to clean up after them. I also spray a bit of hornady one shot to in the collator bowl when adding new lead bullets to help them slide down the spring guide and through the dropper with a bit less drag, but this only forestalls the cleaning cycle a bit.

truth is that I only mind the cleaning intervals required by lead projectiles when i have been previously loading jacketed bullets. loading 9mm ball, you can literally sit there for hours like a monkey playing a slot machine - between the case feeder and bullet feeder, you just keep your eye on the cartridge as it advances past the powder drop and check the powder charge. induces a zen-like feeling of relaxation... my $.02

-jaredr

had posted this in another thread on this subject - I've got about 30,000 rounds loaded with lead bullets through the KISS bulletfeeder on my 650 - mostly .45 ACP 200 gr LSWC and .38 special loading either 125 gr rn or 147gr truncated nose .355 bullets (taper crimping). have generally no problems running lead projectiles through the bulletfeeder but you do need to stop every 500 - 1000 rounds and do a diligent cleaning of the bullet collator wheel and the inside of the feeder assembly (including the bullet dropper). Issue is that bullet lube collects on those surfaces and produces a sticky buildup that will impair function and (eventually) introduce jams. this may be in part to the bullet's i'm using (Valliant) where the bullet lube is more sticky (and less hard) then something like Oregon Trail. Valliants are a <lot> cheaper so I don't mind having to clean up after them. I also spray a bit of hornady one shot to in the collator bowl when adding new lead bullets to help them slide down the spring guide and through the dropper with a bit less drag, but this only forestalls the cleaning cycle a bit.

truth is that I only mind the cleaning intervals required by lead projectiles when i have been previously loading jacketed bullets. loading 9mm ball, you can literally sit there for hours like a monkey playing a slot machine - between the case feeder and bullet feeder, you just keep your eye on the cartridge as it advances past the powder drop and check the powder charge. induces a zen-like feeling of relaxation... my $.02

-jaredr

That means cleaning every 15 - 30 minutes. Not worth the agro.

• 1 month later...

I spoke to the Owner of Mr. Bulletfeeder (Rick) today and there is no problem running Laser Cast through it. He had a list of potential fixes for softer lead including using an oversized die which he provides. I only shoot Laser Cast in lead so it is no problem for me. I just want it on a 1050 I have set up for 9 mm. I hate dealing with those little bullets....I would give him a call about lead bullets and see if it makes sense for you to try. My only dislike is giving up the powder ck. There is a way around that also but not one I like. I think he said it was using a seting crimp die on the last station....C

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any recent experiance with the GSI system on a XL650. They are actually cheaper than the Kiss by $50.00. I only load .40 so the die change deal isn't a factor. I spoke with the folks at GSI and have sent them samples of the bullets I use so they can ensure my unit runs properly. If anyone has tips for set up they would be much appreciated.

• 9 months later...

I'm considering the GSI also for the 650 and would like to hear some recent feedback.

Save yourself some heart ache and get the Mr Bulletfeeder

I had 2 GSI (1st was crap and so was 2nd)

Never even got to seat a bullet with either

The collator worked with 1 profile and size 9mm only - sometime...

Now have 2x Mr Bullets and they are flawless

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering the GSI also for the 650 and would like to hear some recent feedback.

Save yourself some heart ache and get the Mr Bulletfeeder

I had 2 GSI (1st was crap and so was 2nd)

Never even got to seat a bullet with either

The collator worked with 1 profile and size 9mm only - sometime...

Now have 2x Mr Bullets and they are flawless

I ended up with a GSI set up for 9, collator operates fine with 115 round & 124 hollow bullets. What issues did you have with yours?

I was having an issue with my GSI not keeping up with me while loading. It is one of the very first ones they built. I took it to GSI when I shot Area 2 at Mesa. Gordon showed me how to adjust to keep it level, replaced the ring with a new design and it works like a champ now. I'm running .40 Berrys 180 gr. flat points.