Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any drawbacks to a Stainless Open Pistol?

Broncman

Sweet. Is the frame stainless? Thinking of doing my next build in stainless. Love the thought of not having to coat it.

I would think with proper fitting and lubricant, galling would not be an issue.

Edited by Broncman

1 hour ago, Greengun said:

Does it mean that stainless steel is not as strong as regular non-stainless steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strength is relative to the force being applied.  Lets suggest the stainless may be more brittle than some other types of steel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With stainless, galling can be an issue but it’s more of an issue where you’re forcing two parts to fit when they’re still slightly oversized. Once there is proper clearance between two sliding parts it’s less of a concern. Ie if a gs is lap fitting a slide it can gall more easily. Once the gun is fit and you keep it properly lubricated, it shouldn’t be and issue.

As other have pointed out, SS slides seem to crack easier in my experience, hardness doesn’t seem to matter for as bs steel but it seems like their are much less ductile and just don’t take the beating as well as a carbon slide.

You can leave an iron gun in the raw and keep the same look without issue as long as it’s being shot regularly,if oiled, steel won’t rust, it’s when it sits for a long enough period of time (depending on humidity) that it’ll start to oxidize.

Polishing the gun helps to combat rust but if it sits for long enough it’ll rust regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMT used the same SS alloy for their frame and slides.  No problem with proper lube, galling came from idiots shooting a dry gun.  This is where the fear of stainless guns came from.  Today's gun use dissimilar stainless alloys.   AMT stood for Arcadia Machine & Tool.

Edited by 38super