Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Round Nose or Flat Nose for USPSA?

Lobonca

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The 125gr TC from Black Bullets or Blue Bullets has an ogive that’s further back than any RN bullet. It’s shaped nothing like a 147 flat point.

Acme’s 124gr RN required me to load shorter than 1.110” to feed my buddies M&P. The exact same gun would take a 125 TC out past 1.150”

Before we throw around statements like “FPs load better than SWCs” or something, we need to clarify exactly whose mold your bullet maker was using!

As an example, it’s obvious that out of THESE three projectiles you’d be able to load the middle one the longest. And that’s the bullet profile I was referring to:

thum_222174f19b830b5ea4.jpg

I'm not sure why I was quoted in your reply. Are you having a conversation with yourself? Who said “FPs load better than SWCs”? I think you're a little confused, remember you're the one who posted a general statement that made absolutely no sense, lol. 

P.S. We're not mind readers, next time try to be more detailed.

Edited by 4n2t0

On 1/17/2018 at 3:31 PM, 4n2t0 said:

Weird. For me it has more to do with the bullets ogive than the point/meplat. My situation is the exact opposite. The FP I load have a wider ogive, which means they engage the rifling sooner, so I need to load them fairly short (1.09) for my CZ Shadow. Generally, I can load much longer with RN.

This is why. It isn’t exactly unclear what I was adressing. 

Yours is the very first instance in which I’ve heard of someone getting a longer OAL with a coated round nose 124/135/147 grain bullet in 9mm than with a coated TC profile of similar weight.

In almost all cases, you can load the tapered cone profile longer. A lot longer. The photo above illustrates why.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Round nose jacketed. 

Takes less spring pressure to push them into battery.  

I can run a pound lighter spring in my Glock 17 

(stock barrel & mags)

XDM 5.25 is semi difficult to load the magazine with BBI 147 flat nose. 

Any round nose is as smooth as butter. 

STI major 9 open is a single shot with MG 124HP. 

Runs 100% on MG 124 & 115 round nose. 

Tho I do run 152gr semi wad cutters in my old 1911 45....just for the perfect holes. 

To each his own. 

26 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This is why. It isn’t exactly unclear what I was adressing. 

Yours is the very first instance in which I’ve heard of someone getting a longer OAL with a coated round nose 124/135/147 grain bullet in 9mm than with a coated TC profile of similar weight.

In almost all cases, you can load the tapered cone profile longer. A lot longer. The photo above illustrates why.

Who said I was loading a coated round nose? What's a tapered cone? I've heard of a truncated cone but never a tapered cone.

Are you on the wacky tobaccy? lol.

Edited by 4n2t0

14 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I used 150gr Bayou semi-wadcutters for a while.  I’m back to a TC bullet. The holes look exactly the same in RN 147s, conical 125s, and those wadcutters.

Shoot them side by side. I did.

I'm sure it's dependent on the profile of the SWC. But the ones I use to shoot cut a hole, nothing closed back up at all. No RN or RNFP has ever made a hole like those 45 SWC's I shot when I first started. Everything else leaves a grease ring and the hole closes up after the bullet passed through those SWC's didn't. Maybe it's different with 9's, I don't know.

I haven't shot SWC in many years and doubt I'll ever go back. If I happen to find a any of my loads, I'll go borrow my dads 45 and punch some holes and post a pic for comparison. But I doubt I'll come across any more of those.

19 hours ago, motosapiens said:

why do you want to see the holes in the target? Or are you just being considerate of the RO's?

fwiw, i haven't noticed any diff in the holes between rn and fp, or any other shape except semi-wadcutters in 45.

It helped a lot when I was shooting 9 minor. Loaded swc. I was not as proficient at calling shots. Especially when shooting at my indoor range. Lighting was not as great in certain areas so holes were harder to see sometimes. Having the cleaner hole punch was nice. It helped it stand out. 

15 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

? haven't tried with coated, but with plated bullets, i had to load the TC's of the same weight quite a bit shorter than RN's so they would plunk in my cz.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:33 PM, motosapiens said:

? haven't tried with coated, but with plated bullets, i had to load the TC's of the same weight quite a bit shorter than RN's so they would plunk in my cz.

Yeah, with jacketed its a whole different ball game. The round nose FMJs tend to have a much more friendly (tapered) profile than short bulbous lead/coated round nose bullets do.

I forgot anyone makes a TC profile in jacketed, so automatically began discussing coated lead. They’re so much cheaper and equally acccurate - I forget some of you guys still run FMJ/JHPs in Production.