Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide locked with rounds still in magazine

balmo

It happened to me at my local match this past week. The slide locked while there are still rounds in the mag. Not on the last round, or second to the last. It happened on the 6th and (only) 5th round in. What could be the cause?

My mags are EAA/Tanfo 10-rounders and I load 147gr RN Blue Bullets to 1.125"

Thank you 

I had the same problems, in my case it was bad grip (coming from a Glock 17). Very high grip.

I changed my grip and problem solved, however, if the gun is not new and you are familiar with it and the problem just came up, then it is most likely ammo related.

Edited by Avenida

37 minutes ago, Avenida said:

I had the same problems, in my case it was bad grip (coming from a Glock 17). Very high grip.

I changed my grip and problem solved, however, if the gun is not new and you are familiar for it and the problem is new, then it is most likely ammo related.

Well it maybe because I came from a glock too. 

1 hour ago, bulm540 said:

Well it maybe because I came from a glock too. 

Strong chance, very strong it's you hitting the lever.  Shoot left handed only, then no way can you accidentally hit the slide lock lever.

Agreed that the easiest explanation is that the top of your weak-hand thumb is bumping it up.  After years of shooting Tanfos without problems, I changed the thumb rest on my Limited... suddenly started getting that issue, since the rest changed the position of my WH thumb.  

I just ground down the slide stop.  In LTD, you don't really need the slide to lock open anyway....

• 1 year later...

If you already figured it out, ignore this.  However, I have had the same issue a few times.  In my case the mag would get stuck too far up in the gun and it would stop the slide from coming forward.  The only way to clear it was to pry the base pad down and forward.  A couple of calls later and I was sent a new mag release and once I installed it, the mags no longer get stuck in that position.  First pic is with a mag stuck in the gun.  Second is the opposite side (rounds are dummy, no live rounds in there).

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Edited by KB007