Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten guide rod

Djp55

On 8/2/2017 at 6:51 PM, Explosiveo said:

I shoot a USPSA match almost every weekend now. Just started in Feb though. Just havent started reloading yet. Though i probably will at some point. Been buying freedom municians 9mm for .18 a round. Hard to justify dropping a grand on a reloading setup atm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pardon my opinion but there is absolutely no such thing as a serious shooter who does not reload.

Pardon my opinion but there is absolutely no such thing as a serious shooter who does not reload.
You are joking right ? I know several " serious " phenomenal shooters / competitors who do not reload for various different reasons. How would not reloading make you less serious ?

15 hours ago, Jeff O said:

If a ammo manufacturer gave you 100K rounds for the season and paid your airfare from event to event, would you reload?

Edited by 858

On 07/08/2017 at 9:20 PM, tattooo said:
On 07/08/2017 at 8:58 PM, Jeff O said:

You are joking right ? I know several " serious " phenomenal shooters / competitors who do not reload for various different reasons. How would not reloading make you less serious ?

guys shooting  major  (40 S&W)  in limited  with 2011's  must use  some  specific COL's  to   avoid   mag troubles  then   FTF's  . most SVI's  and STI's  double  stacks  must be loaded  to 1.200  or  close  to ; even glocks  prefer  a  specific col  .......not  every on the  shelve  ammo  meet the  specifics of  a  given  race gun   .

then if  you shoot production  why would  you  want to shoot  140 PF  ammo  when the minimum is  125.

as for  being ammo sponsored, guys  who  gets  a  deal  with whatever   ammunition  supplier   for  sure  gets  their  ammo  tailored  to  their  specific  needs.

not  saying  you can't  shoot  factory ammo  at the match, just saying that  at  a  certain level  it's  a  clear disadvantage.

btw  this  thread  is  funny, went from  tungsten GR's  to  reloading    as  main topic lol.

Edited by sigsauerfan

guys shooting  major  (40 S&W)  in limited  with 2011's  must use  some  specific COL's  to   avoid   mag troubles  then   FTF's  . most SVI's  and STI's  double  stacks  must be loaded  to 1.200  or  close  to ; even glocks  prefer  a  specific col  .......not  every on the  shelve  ammo  meet the  specifics of  a  given  race gun   .
then if  you shoot production  why would  you  want to shoot  140 PF  ammo  when the minimum is  125.
as for  being ammo sponsored, guys  who  gets  a  deal  with whatever   ammunition  supplier   for  sure  gets  their  ammo  tailored  to  their  specific  needs.
not  saying  you can't  shoot  factory ammo  at the match, just saying that  at  a  certain level  it's  a  clear disadvantage.

btw  this  thread  is  funny, went from  tungsten GR's  to  reloading    as  main topic lol.
The thread did go sideways....lol
Everything you mentioned is valid but my point was you are not less serious if you do not reload. That was an unfounded silly to put it mildly opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/20/2017 at 7:12 AM, tattooo said:

Back on topic, from what I have read the benefit of a tungsten rod is the added weight but some sacrifice of durability. Am I correct in my summary ?

Good summary.  I haven't had an issue with my Glock rod but broke one in a 1911 after many years of use.  I expect the tungsten to eventually break so I always keep a stock rod on hand for a quick fix if required. 

Good summary.  I haven't had an issue with my Glock rod but broke one in a 1911 after many years of use.  I expect the tungsten to eventually break so I always keep a stock rod on hand for a quick fix if required. 
Thanks for the confirmation.