Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke my 1050 after about a thousand rounds...

Got my Dillon 1050 set up just as I like it. Starting loading rounds and loaded about a thousand rounds and then on the downstroke the the press stopped. Can't figure out what is blocking it from going all the way down. It is not the case feeder as I can pull the side lever and actuate it. I used compressed air on the mechanism in case something like a primer was stuck. It is also very consistent distance from the plate that it stops. Any suggestions are welcome, I really do not want to take it apart after all the time I spent putting it together and send it back to Dillon to fix. The attached picture is the stopping point. 

2017-07-22 16.33.45.jpg

A primer can cause a stoppage.  You can force it up but I would loosen the primer tube first.  Yes, primers will spill everywhere.  This is the cause of most of my jams.  Sometimes it is an upside down primer, primer not seated correctly and is mangled in the slide..

Once you get it up, you can loosen the shell plate enough to look underneath to see if something else is blocking it.

You don't need to send it back. 

It can be intimidating at first but it is a very straight forward operation to tear down and start fresh, just like you were changing calibers.

Like I said, most of my jams are caused by primers; sometime depriming does not always push the primer out of the pocket causing a jam,

And check the mechanism that moves the primer slide. The pin that rides in the groove that moves the lever that moves the primer slide sometimes gets hung up. Also check the back where the round thing with the side cut off that allows you to remove the primer slide, gotta turn and tighten it so the primer slide doesn't move too far out. Sorry, don't the names of the parts. Happens to me when I forget to tighten up the stop that prevents the primer slide from moving out. 

Its the primer slide not fully cycling and the punch is hitting it...You can pull the slide out slightly so the punch goes thru the larger hole and get it cycled, then clear the mangled primer...

jj

Also I can almost guarantee that the round ahead of the one on the primer station now doesn't have a primer...its magled and still sitting in the primer slide.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

40 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

Also I can almost guarantee that the round ahead of the one on the primer station now doesn't have a primer...its magled and still sitting in the primer slide.

jj

You are absolutely right. The last round that was sitting at the powder station did not have a primer. I will follow the suggestions and look at the primer system this morning. I don't know why Dillon did not suggest this on my two calls to them (they suggested I blow compressed air in the linkage and make sure it was not a case feeder jam issue), based on number of responses in regards to the primer system I guess it is a common enough problem. 

Yep, that is a common jam, caused by a primer not seating and getting mangled and it ends up staying in the primer slide. When you cycle the machine again, the mangled primer stops the primer slide at the shell plate and stops everything. I pull the slide back a bit until the primer punch goes thru the slide in the large hole, and then remove the mangled primer.

Also would suggest removing the ratchet, it gets in the way a lot. Just remember to not short stroke the machine without stopping and checking all stations.

jj 

1 hour ago, RiggerJJ said:

Also would suggest removing the ratchet, it gets in the way a lot. Just remember to not short stroke the machine without stopping and checking all stations.

jj 

Thanks, that was one of the first things I did based on conversations here: