Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hindsight is 20/20

bcp

4 hours ago, DukeEB said:

I jumped right in limited and have no regrets.  I have done a few others just for change up and practice, lim10 twice, and i'll be doing more SS later this year and next.

Thanks Duke.  What were your reasons for starting in Limited?  It's interesting to hear that you have no regrets looking back to that decision.  

1 minute ago, bcp said:

Thanks Duke.  What were your reasons for starting in Limited?  It's interesting to hear that you have no regrets looking back to that decision.  

Just before I got into uspsa, I got an edge in 45 because I wanted a nice double stack 45.  I hadn't gotten into 40 at that time, so limited was the best place to start.  It just grew from there :)  45 didn't hold enough so now I have 40's. 

Well, there you go.  How much time did you spend with 45 vs 40 in Limited?  

I resisted .40 for years in my carry guns, strongly preferring 45 in full sized or 9mm in discrete carry.  My first real .40 is a Limited gun.  It's a different critter on the reloading press for sure.  

My experience differs from others in here.  I just finished my 2nd match in Production and I think it's valuable in how it's taught me to plan and attack the course.  I've been the only person shooting production in my group both times and since I have to reload after 10 rounds I have to plan the course entirely differently than everyone else which has really forced me to focus on a plan and execute the plan; I can't just sit back and watch what everyone else is doing.  Instead I have to make a very intentional plan, sometimes that means reloading after 8 since I'm on the move, other times it's just as educational when my plan goes to shit because I planned a reload after 9 or 10 but I missed a shot or two and had to make up for it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2017 at 6:04 PM, bcp said:

If you were starting over today in USPSA, what would you do differently?  What would you focus on...or stay away from?

I would dry fire differently.  More emphasis on just getting and keeping a solid sight picture. More work on movement while shooting and reloading. And more work on reducing TIME by faster motion.

If I could go back in a time and tell myself 1 thing when I started, it would be to take in person training IMMEDIATELY and much more frequently. I wasted quite a bit of time, ammo and $$$ trying to figure things out on my own before taking training classes. I had the misconception that I needed to be at a certain skill level before I could justify taking a training class. If I would have spend half of my practical shooting budget on training classes the first year it would have taken YEARS off of my learning curve.

That being said, there is no short cut for gaining match experience. That can only be done by attending as many matches as you can and grinding through the suck to learn the hard way.

That's exactly my plan...well, a big part of my plan.  I was talking to Steve Anderson and he recommended getting training sooner rather than later.  One could say, that's Steve's biz so of course he recommended it.  I see it more like Cha-Lee said and that's exactly what Steve said to me.  He spends a LOT of his time undoing what people have done to themselves without realizing the issues they have created for themselves.  I plan to spend a couple of days privately with Steve this year...in addition to dry fire, match experience, training materials, etc.  

Steve said let's make a plan that will save you years of trouble.  I'm ALL for that.  It's actually a very reasonable investment from my seat.  I can see myself doing that once a year.  I'm wired to look for the most efficient way forward.  I know good coaching can accelerate me.  There's no substitute for having experienced eyes to guide you. 

I also want to point out that you don't need a Top Flight Rock Star trainer either. For newer shooters there is a metric crap ton that can be learned from local Master or Grand Master shooters who also do training or coaching. Don't sell your local training resources short just because they are not National or World Champions. You can actually save a lot of money and have a higher frequency of training when using local training resources.

Simply ask your fellow shooters at your next local match who would be a good local resource for training. I think you will be surprised at how many local training opportunities you may find.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Yes of course.  Local talent can be an incredible source of wisdom.  I know there are many forum members here who mentor others at their local ranges.  Some of them I've corresponded with and they have readily shared their knowledge.  That's awesome.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2017 at 10:49 PM, wtturn said:

I think the best thing a guy can do is pick ONE gun and ONE division and stick with it.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:46 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Don't switch guns (or constantly mess with yours) in search of a better match result.

I could have spent litterally about 100 hours training on skills instead of tweaking CZ's and Tanfos only to switch back to Glock!  

I have to tell myself at least once a week "it's not the gun"!   I still think about switching.  Even have a CZ in the safe taunting me!  That and I got a G24 set up for limited.

I've got a problem! But I'm getting there. 

Edited by B_RAD

@B_RAD because we've talked enough via phone and text... I think you'll know exactly what I mean when I say that you are - literally - the dumbest man I know. 

:D:D 

(Presuming that intelligence is determined by the rate at which one learns from misguided $1,000 purchases.)

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@B_RAD because we've talked enough via phone and text... I think you'll know exactly what I mean when I say that you are - literally - the dumbest man I know. 

:D:D 

(Presuming that intelligence is determined by the rate at which one learns from misguided $1,000 purchases.)

:lol:

I agree!

Hey, I just want to try the three most popular guns each one time.............every two months!  

Edited by B_RAD

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@B_RAD Buy a Q5 Match. I want to shoot it.

Hell it makes Hwansik Kim invincible everywhere he goes. It's gotta be the gun.

Shot one. My buddy has one. They're nice. I'd say the Q5 and the 320X5 have the best stock trigger I've felt.  Though,  both seem to snap a little higher than say a glock. Mag well openings aren't very generous on either. 

None of that seems to affect Hwansik K!