Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After Market Trigger on Carry Optics Gun

Explosiveo

I have been shooting USPSA for a few months now in Open minor with my heavily modified glock 17. I constantly get weird looks from people about my race holster and 170mm mags thinking that i am shooting carry optics.

I have come to the conclusion with the new carry optics rule changes that maybe I should be shooting Carry optics. I have both a Glock 17 and Glock 35 that are perfectly set up for it except for ONE BIG THING.

I cant stand the stock glock trigger shoe. I have the Innovative Gunfighter Solutions Enhanced Duty Triggers on all of my glocks. Even my 43. Im not sure that I am willing to go back to the stock trigger even to be in a more compeditive division. I NEED my flat faced trigger.

My question is this: I read that the rule to become a legal production gun, a gun must have 500 manufactured and be offered for sale to the public. Why then is Zev or Agency Arms ETC. Guns not acceptable as production guns and therefor their triggers acceptable for use in carry optics.

Yes. I know the answer is probably that they are glocks and not their own brand of firearm. But us uspsa folks are gamers and thats just how my brain works.

Please offer any suggestions you may have on what to do. I feel like if I am going to continue to shoot in open i should invest in a true open gun. Or I guess......i could throw the stock trigger back in there and suffer. Any other ideas?51f4fcd363d721571d3f0e1f2e84fbe9.jpg69389ad853b4e5847b85a975b073dcde.jpg3951484109cb3ada9efb6b9e4724bfdc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dogtired said:

Those will never be legal for production or carry optics.  Just shoot open minor, who care what the crowd says.

What he said. The frame material removal takes you out of CO and Production. Put irons back on and shoot limited or keep the MRD and shoot open. That 35 with the magwell, trigger, and irons would be a fine limited major pistol.

3 hours ago, 858 said:

What he said. The frame material removal takes you out of CO and Production. Put irons back on and shoot limited or keep the MRD and shoot open. That 35 with the magwell, trigger, and irons would be a fine limited major pistol.

It only takes you out of Production. 

You can legally change the grip profile in CO. 

I agree that a Glock 35 in Limited sounds like the most compatible merging of your preferences for a handgun, and the sport you enjoy shooting.

As long as you don't mind shooting iron sights.

If you want to keep the dot... If you're willing to reinstall the factory trigger and throw a thousand rounds downrange and do some serious dryfire work, however, you'll find that your aftermarket triggers are a mental want and not a physical need. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

"But us uspsa folks are gamers" No, you need to play the game for more than just a few months to get it. A gamer is someone who understands the rules and takes them to the razors edge, they are not cheaters. If you want to keep the optics on, 2 choices, load the 40S&W to Major, easy as pie, and stay in Open, Put an aftermarket threaded barrel with a compensator on the G17 and load to Major 9 and stay in Open. Lot's of recipes for Major 9 on this forum. And loose the white outline lettering. That just screams newbie.

. I constantly get weird looks from people about my race holster and 170mm mags thinking that i am shooting carry optics.

Actually they know you are shooting Open because of the ghost holster, 170mm mag extension and wearing your mag pouches in front. What they are really wondering is why are you shooting Minor in a Major Division.

target2-X3.jpg?resize=1345,1200

I dont really think shooting open is the answer. Even if I have to shoot major in carry optics or down the road if I start reloading i could load .40 to minor. But im much more compeditive in carry optics.

I understand how the major vs minor scoring works. I just started out shooting the only gun I had. Which unfortunatly I had modified before deciding to shoot uspsa to a point that it only would fit in open. Now that the carry optics rules have losened up, i am able to shoot that though.

I ended up putting the stock triggers back in and have been shooting carry optics for the last two matches. Its been going well. I placed 1st in carry optics division in both matches.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish there were options for purchasing minor and major ammo without reloading. I am hesitant to get into reloading at the moment. But the benefits are very tempting.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What do you like about the IGFS triggers? I've messed with quite a few on the market. They definitely look cool and they usually have minimal take up and a nice break.

The factory Glock trigger shoe isn't the prettiest. But there are companies that make production/carry optics legal triggers. I've been using DK Custom triggers in my Glocks. It's the lightest one I've found with minimal pre-travel.

I like the flat face, and the looks. Thats basically all. It doesnt have adjustments for pretravel or overtravel. Though i did purchase a overtravel kit. I have switched both my carry optics guns back to the stock trigger for now. I would like to try out the DK trigger. Its a little spendy though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2017 at 1:51 AM, Explosiveo said:

I wish there were options for purchasing minor and major ammo without reloading. I am hesitant to get into reloading at the moment. But the benefits are very tempting.

There are.  Here is what Atlanta Arms offers for .40 Minor.  If you look through their website they have several options.  They also offer 9mm Major if you are looking to go the open route.  The cost of reloading will offset pretty quickly though.  Only takes about 3,000-4000  rounds and you will have the same amount of bullets and a press/etc. 

However, if cost isn't a big factor, you'd be better off with factory ammo despite the conventional wisdom heard at matches and the interwebs.  If you spend whatever time pulling a lever or filling primer tubes etc doing dry fire you will be a much a better shooter for it. 

So what is your limiting factor, time or money? 

On July 29, 2017 at 1:51 AM, Explosiveo said:

Get into reloading.  You can get a Dillon 650, all the accroutrements, accessories, and tools you need for $1000.  Watch a few youtube videos, read posts on here, start with some basic data and you are good to go.   

• 2 months later...