Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Religious Shooter

Tablet for Practiscore?

Recommended Posts

Looking for an affordable tablet good of Practiscore use.  To be used outdoors.  Screen hopefully won't be too glary in sun.  Doesn't overheat too easily.  Somewhat tough enough to be carried in a range bag.  Good battery life.  Reliable.  Durable.  No problems with synching.  Etc.

 

What would you guys recommend?  What models have you guys used and how did it go?

 

Thanks.

 

(Note: Wasn't getting relevant hits on this sub forum when I searched.  So sorry to the search Nazis if there are already a bunch of threads on this)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pixel5   

The Fire tablets I think are $35. $25 around Christmas time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mosher   

Black Friday we got fire 7 tablets for about $25.  Work like a champ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PatJones   

Check out the discussions at:

Match Management> Operations> Match Scoring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mhall   

I use a Fire 5th gen. Got it to my house for $33. I'm happy with the performance. Reacts a lot faster than some tablets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sarnburg   

We have been using Practiscore since right after it's release. We started with an Ipad for a master device and several different android tablets and nooks (OMG the pain) as scoring devices. This year after a few problems with our older android devices, battery life was diminishing and we were having problems with syncing. We went ahead and bought 12 current generation Ipad mini's. What a difference! The scoring is lighting fast, the battery life is outstanding, and most importantly the syncing is seamless. My stats guy never has to interrupt the stage. He pulls into the bay with the router and can pull scores 30 seconds later. We will keep the older devices as backups giving us a pool of 30 devices to run a match if need be. But it will be a dire situation if we have to use anything buy an IoS device.

 

Scott 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RSDelta   

my club uses Nooks.  Seems to work well for being able to see the screen in bright sunlight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glk21C   
On 5/14/2017 at 6:46 PM, sarnburg said:

We have been using Practiscore since right after it's release. We started with an Ipad for a master device and several different android tablets and nooks (OMG the pain) as scoring devices. This year after a few problems with our older android devices, battery life was diminishing and we were having problems with syncing. We went ahead and bought 12 current generation Ipad mini's. What a difference! The scoring is lighting fast, the battery life is outstanding, and most importantly the syncing is seamless. My stats guy never has to interrupt the stage. He pulls into the bay with the router and can pull scores 30 seconds later. We will keep the older devices as backups giving us a pool of 30 devices to run a match if need be. But it will be a dire situation if we have to use anything buy an IoS device.

 

Scott 

Aren't the iPad's (mini's too) harder to see outside, especially when bright sun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogtired   

I donated my gen 1 ipad to the club and it is the easiest and most reliable and visible.  You can find them on ebay for $100 or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sarnburg   
On 5/19/2017 at 5:11 PM, Glk21C said:

Aren't the iPad's (mini's too) harder to see outside, especially when bright sun?

Nothing is easy to see in bright sun. We bought a bunch of the Practiscore shades for sunny days. The ease of use and syncing is what cemented the decision for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
euxx   
... we were having problems with syncing...


Out of curiosity, were those syncing issues reported to support@practiscore.com ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ck867   

My only experience is with using different tablets for scoring and not actually setting them up. I enjoy the ipad mini the best for scoring purposes. However, that is the hardest one to see in the sun. Practishades help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sarnburg   
3 hours ago, euxx said:

 


Out of curiosity, were those syncing issues reported to support@practiscore.com ?

 

No because it was not a PS issue. The tablets in question kept losing WiFi connection. I suspect one to many drops. 

 

Scott 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
euxx   

I see. The way you said it sounded like PS issue on Nooks...

Different router might solve issue, though usually you sync few times a day most, unless there is a range-wide wifi, so reconnect to wifi before sync is more like an annoyance (tap battery icon, turn wifi off and then on).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mosher   

we use amazon fire 7&8s.  I usually unplug the router while we shoot, and after the match plug it in and rejoin the wifi and sync.  works like a champ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nathanb   

We use fired as well. Sync pre match using my truck hot spot or phone hotspot. If anything gets scrambled both are close by to get a new sync. I've been considering a battery operated router lately. I also use an iPad as my master. 

 

The fires are cheap last a long time and run PractiScore natively. Not much you can ask for 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adamge   

nathan, link please on how to install practiscore on them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nathanb   

It's literally as easy as going in the App Store and downloading it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adamge   

So what is its claim to fame, just being a cheap color tablet that can run Practiscore?    The last time I went through this process I came to the conclusion that the Nexus 7 2013 was the best mix of battery life, screen quality, screen brightness, and performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
euxx   
41 minutes ago, adamge said:

So what is its claim to fame, just being a cheap color tablet that can run Practiscore?    The last time I went through this process I came to the conclusion that the Nexus 7 2013 was the best mix of battery life, screen quality, screen brightness, and performance.

 

Nexus 7 was at near $200. The modern Nexus 7 incarnation would be ASUS MeMo Pad 7" but those are stuck with Android 4 and ASUS now only making tables with Intel CPUs - not ideal for the battery life and it lost NFC.

 

The Kindles 7 and 8HD are $49.99 and $89.99. Both of them are often on sale, so even cheaper.

 

The next favourite is Samsung Tab A (and previous models Tab 4 and Tab 3, NOT the Lite ones) - brighter screen and better battery now on sale at BestBuy and Amazon for under $120.

 

See my notes on Android devices at https://practiscore.com/blog/android-tablets/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adamge   

Coincidentally I won a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0" 8GB (Wi-Fi), White SM-T280.  I haven't used it for practiscore but I quickly discovered that its performance is horrendous.  Painful to use, and screen sucks.  The old N7 2013 blows it away.

 

I was able to find N7 2013 refurbished on ebay in quantity a couple years ago. Now I'm not seeing them.  I suppose I'll try the Kindle/Fires next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
euxx   
4 hours ago, adamge said:

Coincidentally I won a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0" 8GB (Wi-Fi), White SM-T280.  I haven't used it for practiscore but I quickly discovered that its performance is horrendous.  Painful to use, and screen sucks.  The old N7 2013 blows it away.

 

Likely that was a Tab A Lite. It also helps to disable all Google and Samsung apps and turn off Sync - helps with performance and saves battery too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a Fire HD 8  a couple of days ago.  Played Candy Crush, read a couple of books, installed Practi Score, etc.  Didn't actually use it outside.  Was watching a video that was delivered for some reason by Amazon to the tablet.  While watching it it died.  No power.  Tried plugging it in with the supplied charger and it still doesn't work.  Oh well.

 

Anyways I think the HD 8 is a little wide for my hands to be used in the field comfortably.  I was going to wait until these Black Friday sales, but I'm going to go ahead and order a Fire 7 and return the HD 8 for repair/replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adamge   

7" is a great size because it fits in my back pocket.  Super handy when I am score keeper.

 

euxx, I don't think it is a Lite, nothing in the model number suggests it.  OK I went through and trimmed as much fat as I could find, I'll use it some more to evaluate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×