Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New style STI mags

Will Abrahams

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new stock 140mm STI mags for 40 hold 18 correct.  With tuning I should get 20 ish???? Yes/No.  

Also my MBX mags don't lock back but the STIs do.  Is it the follower on the mag maybe ?? 

Mine stock everything except for tti 4mm pads fit 21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, HerdThinner said:

The new stock 140mm STI mags for 40 hold 18 correct.  With tuning I should get 20 ish???? Yes/No.  

Also my MBX mags don't lock back but the STIs do.  Is it the follower on the mag maybe ?? 

Look at the front of the follower. Don’t think they are meant to lock back the slide so they are built without the tab to lift the slide lock. This was also on their website. 

E156E2E0-2002-4DA5-A8FA-754A50CB6030.png

7 hours ago, reballz said:

Mbx, grams or tti follower/springs for 9mm?

I prefer the grams.  I still need to check, waiting on some 9mm mags to come in first, but because the new style mags do not have a spacer I think you are supposed to get the 38/40 follower and not the 9mm specific one.  Is this correct?  Can anyone confirm this?

21 minutes ago, jliew08 said:

I prefer the grams.  I still need to check, waiting on some 9mm mags to come in first, but because the new style mags do not have a spacer I think you are supposed to get the 38/40 follower and not the 9mm specific one.  Is this correct?  Can anyone confirm this?

I preferthe grams as well. They have been good to me. To answer your question yes. Ive ordered both in the same order and compared them side by side. The 9 version would rock back and forth. Shortersince it needs the spacer. i put that in my old tube. The 38/40 is the one you need. The bad part for me is my pistol didnt like the feed lip dimensions of the new sti. Worked flawlessly in my buddies so i just traded him. For one of his that worked in mine. Im sure it could have been tuned but we were approaching a match.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:20 AM, jliew08 said:

I put the Grams guts out of a bad old style 9mm tube into a new style STI tube and it runs fine. It runs so good I may not upgrade the guts to get rid of the spacer. 

I put the Grams guts out of a bad old style 9mm tube into a new style STI tube and it runs fine. It runs so good I may not upgrade the guts to get rid of the spacer. 

So I have the new style 9mm tubes, I installed the 38/40 grams follower/11 coil spring and now my mags hold 23 rounds. [emoji16]

So I put the grams springs/followers in my new bodies, on the last round on every mag, the round dives downward and locks the slide back. And at that point, you have to hit the slide release to send it forward, you cannot just pull the slide back. Ideas??

28 minutes ago, reballz said:

So I put the grams springs/followers in my new bodies, on the last round on every mag, the round dives downward and locks the slide back. And at that point, you have to hit the slide release to send it forward, you cannot just pull the slide back. Ideas??

Did you cut the follower so it can't lock back?

Edited by louu

1 minute ago, reballz said:

No, and when it’s locking back, there is still a round in the mag.

You have to take your dremmel and the little tab on the follower that engages the slide stop has to be cut off. It will no longer lock the slide back and every round will chamber and fire. It's almost impossible to have these guns reliably lock the slide open on an empty mag. There is a bunch of videos on YouTube on how to grind off the tab but it's really pretty easy.

I'll have to try that.  It's not tight at all when loading?

Not after spring has been set. Load the mag with 21 rounds for a few days to set it and then it should be fine. I've done five this way and all are 21 reloadable.

Never mind found it 6/7 minutes later thanks

Recently some one posted a link and a photo of the mag tuning pillars we all know and love!!!

I.E. not in the Dawson kit but separate

Can't seem to find that again.  Some one remember where that was on the Benos site.

Seems like it was in the last week or so.

Thanks

Edited by jcc7x7
FOUND IT

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 2:46 PM, ncg34shooter said:

My new 170 tube with tti spring and follower and 4g basepad gets 29. I have not had a chance to run them through the gun yet.

Did you actually get that to gauge? I had to beat on mine forever just to fit a 3g basepad, and that even includes trimming off a little of the back corner of the feed lips just to barely fit the gauge. All 4 of my gen 2s were like that. 

38 minutes ago, WestTex said:

Did you actually get that to gauge? I had to beat on mine forever just to fit a 3g basepad, and that even includes trimming off a little of the back corner of the feed lips just to barely fit the gauge. All 4 of my gen 2s were like that. 

Same here with STI or SV tubes.  I never could get a 4g to work and the 3G took some work to fit the guage