Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Similarities between CZ's and Sphinxes

EatsEverything

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to my LGS today. They are Sphinx distributor. I was told that they just put in an order for 9 full-size pistols from Sphinx...but (and this surprised me) they said the full-size Sphinx is only being released for now in .45. Maybe FrontSight can clarify this...

Looks like your LGS knew what they were talking about. jroback just posted a sweet looking .45 on his facebook page.

I'd be all over a 9mm.

Edited by JGus

Really curious about the black line and its aluminum frame.

With the gun being aimed at the competition crowd, what sort of testing has been done to assure the frame can handle the abuse? Will it run 80,000-100,000 rounds without any major issues?

Just seems like a lot to ask from an aluminum frame - but then, I don't claim to be an engineer. Perhaps it's stronger than I think it is.

when they say 'frame' I believe it's more like the grip portion of a 2011. a 2011 has 3 main parts. slide, frame and grip. if you use that analogy I believe the sphinx would fit closest to a 2011 with steel slide, billet alluminium frame and aluminium grip. At the very least the load bearing stuff inside like frame rails will be either billet or steel (i'g guess steel as I wouldn't think running steel slide on alloy rails would be the best for wear).

We currently have the SDP production models in aus in steel and polymer. the polymer has steel slide, steel frame, polymer grip. They look to be a good combo.

Edited by BeerBaron

I probably shouldn't confuse things here as different markets likely get different configs but the blurb on the aus dealers website has this line about the polymer grip version production model:

The steel slide is machined from billet and is hand fitted to mate perfectly with the interior, full length guide rails, of the billet stainless steel frame.

but given it's modular construction i'm sure it'd be possible to have basically any combo you wanted to make.

"The steel slide is machined from billet and is hand fitted to mate perfectly with the interior, full length guide rails, of the billet aluminum frame."

From the Sphinx web site. Maybe the guide rails are steel.

Edited by tbarker13

lol, I know it's funny. very similar, just one word change which makes a big difference. as I said, it's possible that the aus website is wrong, or that we are getting slightly different spec guns. either way I won't confuse the issue any more. :closedeyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 15-round magazines from a Canik Stingray are almost a perfect match for the Sphinx SDP except their followers are blue instead of red. I took measurements from both guns and placed the backs of them against each other and they are almost exactly the same. I took a Canik mag with me to the range and it worked flawlessly and locked back on the last round shot every time. They fit flush and don't wobble in the mag well any more than the Sphinx mags. Slightly different finishes and markings and holes on one side, but other than that they are essentially mirror copies of each other. The springs look similar too.

Best of all, J&G has Canik mags for 24.99 and Sphinx mags for 34.99!

The 15-round magazines from a Canik Stingray are almost a perfect match for the Sphinx SDP except their followers are blue instead of red. I took measurements from both guns and placed the backs of them against each other and they are almost exactly the same. I took a Canik mag with me to the range and it worked flawlessly and locked back on the last round shot every time. They fit flush and don't wobble in the mag well any more than the Sphinx mags. Slightly different finishes and markings and holes on one side, but other than that they are essentially mirror copies of each other. The springs look similar too.

Best of all, J&G has Canik mags for 24.99 and Sphinx mags for 34.99!

Nice

Hi Everyone,

Sphinx Recent updates:

Tenative Sphinx Standard Pistol release date, possibly end of this month. We will more than likely release the Black variant first.

No release date at this time for Sphinx Production Variant.

The Australian dealer mentioned above has Production pistols on pre-order. The blurb on their website is taken straight from the description of the Sphinx Production pistols on our www.sphinxarms.com website.

"The steel slide is machined from billet and is hand fitted to mate perfectly with the interior, full length guide rails, of the billet aluminum frame."

From the Sphinx web site. Maybe the guide rails are steel.

• The slide rides within the upper frame. Depending on the model, it will be either aluminum or steel.

I'm still waiting on word from USPSA as to approval of our pistols for production class.

The big announcement we made at SHOT this year was the debut of our Kriss Vector in 9mm.

I put the CGW hammer/main spring in my SDP and it lightened the DA pull a fair amount. I have not put in the firing pin spring or the firing pin block spring yet since I would like to know if the firing pin retaining pin in the slide needs to be pushed out a certain direction so I don't booger up the pin/slide. I know some Sigs need to be pushed out from a certain side. I also installed CGW's 15# recoil spring (for the P-07/P-09) using a P-07 plastic guide rod in the Sphinx so it would cycle the 147 gr. (130 PF) Atlanta Arms ammo and lock the slide open on the last round with this lighter ammo - worked good.

Anyway, I took it to the range and fired 100 rounds each of Fed 115 gr (walmart), Atlanta Arms 147 gr. (130 PF), and WWB. Out of these 300 rounds I had two failure to ignite conditions with WWB only. The first failure to ignite went off on the first follow-up DA pull and the second went off on the fourth DA pull. I think I need CGW's reduced power firing pin spring installed.

Can anyone tell me which direction the pin in the Sphinx slide needs to come out? Thanks.

Yes it comes out in a certain direction. From ejection port side towards the slide lock side. If you are holding the gun in a shooting grip, from right to left. The left side of the pin is larger. I only know this because I smashed the damn thing flat trying to put it back in in the wrong way.

On that note, does anyone know where I can get a new firing pin retaining pin for my Sphinx. My smashed one works, just looks bad :)

I installed the reduced power firing pin spring and the firing pin block spring then ran 200 rounds of WWB through the Sphinx. I had two failure to ignites - one from each 100-round box of WWB. I guess I will have to re-install the factory hammer spring and learn to live with the stiffer DA pull unless someone has suggestions.

By the way, I did not polish the FPB or the hole it sits in since they are so nicely machined and seem to be coated with something - very impressed with Sphinx's workmanship!

I had 2 light primer strikes (out of 200 rounds) after the firing pin and FPB spring was installed. Both were in single action. I had no FTF with just the hammer spring installed (200 or so rounds). And both light primer strikes which occurred in SA fired when attempted in DA.