Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VersaMax Competition Tactical Carrier in a VersaMax Tactical?

billypilgrim

I just read about the VersaMax Competition Tactical that it has a non-forked carrier. I was wondering as a possible alternative to a weld job, could one just purchase the carrier of a Competition Tactical and install it on a regular Tactical VersaMax?

Taran Tactical is selling a lifter that already has all the stuff done. I think they are listed mainly as Benelli M2 carriers, but they advertise that they will fit the Versamax too. Of course I noticed it a few days after I had mailed my stock carrier to C-Rums to be welded/extended. They were even on sale then, just my luck. I actually got mine back from C-Rums today and it is great. No more evil pitch fork carrier for me.

http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_42&products_id=107

Has anyone installed the tt carrier in the versamax with no other mods? I have heard if you weld the lifter without throating the barrel it can cause feed issues.

Edited by joshxdm9

Yep it drops right in.

If you don't hog the shit out of the port lengthwise it does not need to be longer, however that seems to be the trend. Lol

I like that trend, it keeps me from needing to stuff my thumb up in the gun.

I couldn't get a shell in the tube on my stock Versa Max without jamming my thumb in it.

I like loading shells with the same motion I use to shuck corn.

Edited by Willz

I just picked up a new Versa Max Tactical and put in the TTI lifter just to try it out. I didn't have any issues loading or catching my thumb. The bolt was hanging up when it was fully retracted so that's another issue I'll be working on. The original lifter is being welded up and will replace the TTI when it's done. I just wanted to get shooting while the lifter was out, and it's been good so far.

The TTI M2 lifter does not work reliably in the VersaMax. I tried them, made some modifications, still no joy. There is really nothing feasible that you can do to make them run 100% reliably in the VM, just too short.

With the new Remington lifter, you should not have to throat the barrel since they have a feature that centers the shell during chambering. That is the issue with a welded carrier, and even more dramatic with the TTI lifter.

Even without hogging out the receiver the M2 lifter is too short by about 1/2", just enough to grab your thumb.

Huh, never had it happen with the reciever stock or slightly open as I do now.

Though I was bit several time with the old style and my old 930 before it was fixed.

Has anyone installed the tt carrier in the versamax with no other mods? I have heard if you weld the lifter without throating the barrel it can cause feed issues.

Not a tt lifter but I installed a c-rums modded lifter without doing anything to the barrel. Just ran mine this weekend and it was a top. Edited by NisilS14

Not a tt lifter but I installed a c-rums modded lifter without doing anything to the barrel. Just ran mine this weekend and it was a top.

Jeff does a great job on the lifters. But there are slight variations in the combination of the lifter, hulls, power level, etc. that can result in needing the slight throat of the barrel and the extractor cut radiused. If one load runs, great, but there is a slight chance that another load may not at some point.

Jeff does a great job on the lifters. But there are slight variations in the combination of the lifter, hulls, power level, etc. that can result in needing the slight throat of the barrel and the extractor cut radiused. If one load runs, great, but there is a slight chance that another load may not at some point.

I anticipated this and tried a bunch of different loads. So far, with the few different loads I did try fed well. Jeff did say about possibly needing to bevel the barrel, which from what he told me, it sounds like it won't need much. Edited by NisilS14

Not a tt lifter but I installed a c-rums modded lifter without doing anything to the barrel. Just ran mine this weekend and it was a top.

Just got my lifter back from Jeff the other day. So much better than the stock evil pitchfork carrier. I did have a few of my dummy rounds that caught up and didn't load right while practicing. Did a little very light sanding to the extractor cut area and so far, no more issues. I still need to get out to the range and get some live fire in to make sure it is good to go.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/14/2014 at 8:31 AM, MarkCO said:

The TTI M2 lifter does not work reliably in the VersaMax. I tried them, made some modifications, still no joy. There is really nothing feasible that you can do to make them run 100% reliably in the VM, just too short.

With the new Remington lifter, you should not have to throat the barrel since they have a feature that centers the shell during chambering. That is the issue with a welded carrier, and even more dramatic with the TTI lifter.

Which option is your carrier of choice then? The Competition one from Remington?