Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy 9's

Kingman

Ok,

reading this I just bought an XD 5" tactical in 9mm. I am going to run 180 grain lead rn fp through it. But probably going to need info on aftermarket trigger parts for them. I like my 1 pound trigger on my guns.

Time for a break from the open gun abuse.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,

reading this I just bought an XD 5" tactical in 9mm. I am going to run 180 grain lead rn fp through it. But probably going to need info on aftermarket trigger parts for them. I like my 1 pound trigger on my guns.

Time for a break from the open gun abuse.

darn thats the heaviest bullet that i have heard on a 9mm ...i thought the heaviest was 147 :o:o:o

with such a heavy bullet the cycling of the gun will be much slower, I wonder if you still will be fast enough.

I myself am using the LDA and with the sellier &belloit subsonic ammo shooting is not the way I like it. 125 grains FMJ reloads is for me the better choice.

Wasn't Todd Jarrett shooting the LDA for production in .40 S&W caliber just because that type of ammo had less recoil than a 9x19 has?

yeh, it will be time to change the sig line if and when the xd ever shows up. Seems no one has them in stock actually.

I am making the 180's myself. Maybe Jake or Steve can chime in they both have samples.

I shoot my open gun so much I can't deal with the long reset on the LDA and constantly short stroke it.

actually todd chose 40 because he had 20,000 rounds loaded up for it. and it wasn't "because it was softer" 9mm cycle very slow.

I have shot the 180's need a really light recoil spring also, you can raise the PF without muzzle flip. they work very well. lots of stuff to be careful with reloading them though. Not something i would reccomend doing very carefuly and only for experienced reloaders.

I am using them Kingman is making them. After seeing all the 180's in 40... He, i, or Jake DiVita once said... wonder how much bullet we can put in a 9mm... well, one crazy guy with an idea.... another with a "that sounds kool" and the third with a bullet casting business. and Viola! 180 grain cast bullets in a 9mm Luger. i have pictures that will post soon. bullets can be purchased at www.kapbullets.com i am still somewhat in the testing phase.

testing in a glock has gone well so far. have them functioning in a 17 sort of.. i need a lighter spring though. (11 pounds is too much hehehe)

I can say minor is welll. verrry soft. exponentially softer than my 147 grain loads. Feel free to post, email, or PM with questions or if some o f my midnight babbeling needs clarrification

great idea flex!

shooting a heavier round in the 9mm pistols saves on wear and tear (frame battering) from the +p+ velocities. is my assumption correct?

but, with the lower velocities, won't it produce porpoising of the slide and muzzle? to get the slide moving up to speed, we will need to use very light weight recoil springs? yes? that will be the 8-10lb range of recoil springs.

now, what if you use the heavy 9's in a major 9 open gun? do you have load data and experience with these in major 9?

this is rocket science! very interesting stuff!!! :-)

B)

Bill,

they are RNFP.. the nose is flattened, they do have a good profile though.

Major 9.... well, i have pics, once you see the pics ummm. there isn't enough room for powder when loaded to 1.155 maybe loaded long. but i doubt that in the bullet's current configuration due to the loacation of grove cut in for lube.

Tested out of a Glock 17 barrel they make minor very easily. as for accuracy glock stock barrel with J-Point i shot a 1.8" 4 shot group at just over 20 yards on the head of a USPSA target, they seem to shoot better than 147FMJ's maybe more bearing surface on the bbl??

then the problem with recoil springs.... lightest Flat Wire is 11# and it's a bit too heavy. this is still very much in the R&D phase.

I have only truly tested these in a Glock 17. i shot a few in a beretta elite 2.... the slide actually stops at the end of the reward motion there is so little recoil there :-)

I think this may be a very viable round at 140 power factor, for it would still have less flip than the 147 but more knock down for steel. I will be testing more as soon as i get more bullets.

I know someone is going to scream OH MY lead out of a glock... but i find this odd... glock has apparently removed the "do not shoot lead" statement from their instruction books as i can no longer find it in recent coppies (like 2003/4 models) is it causing leading... i can't be sure as i did not have the chance to isolated the exact rounds fired. however i did have some leading problems in one of the glocks after atleast 250 (probabally closer to 500) rounds fired.

no data just yet. have a cut-away pic and some others to post soon.

These bullets are being sized oversized to reduce leading.

This bullet started off as a conversastion of what if? The what if turned into a hey lets try it. The hey lets try it turned into a wow.

We do not have any actual load data as of right now only 2 people have these in their hands besides me. It is an interesting bullet to load for and I really have no idea how it could make major with the limited space available.

Once we start to develop data the information will be available.

steve: sorry about that, i was playing with the idea of using the heavy 9s in a Limited pistol, but I just remembered that .40 is the minimum caliber to make major. bummer...

But I still think its a cool idea! Imagine getting 23+1 of major PF 9mm's in a limited set-up!

Flex, thanks I have checked that out. Glock's are an amazing anomolie of how they are sprung together. and how few of those parts are "really" needed also wierd stuff can happen with just the right..or wrong.. spring combinations.

glocks lead a lot worse and faster than my other pistols i will definitly be getting an after market bbl for my guns. maybe a ported one for the open glock :-)