Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy 9's

Kingman

I use the Lasercast 145gr RN and the Westcoast Plated 147gr RN with great results out of my Glock 34.

For Titegroup and the 145gr LRN, use 3.3gr at 1.142.

For N320 and the 145gr LRN, use 3.4gr at 1.142.

For N320 and the 147gr RN, use 3.6gr at 1.142.

I used to have all my load data posted at www.loadyourown.com, but that site is no more. I can probably find it where I've posted it in the reloading section of Glocktalk.com if you need it, or dig it out of my chrono notebook when I get home. I've got lots of load results for various charges, OAL, and several different powders for 9mm using several different heavy bullets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

180 in 9mm for Production? You can see it, but can you use it?

Hiya!

This thread brings back such memories...My old friend Mike and I used to have an old .38 Colt mould for a 186 grain RN that we'd stuff into 9X19 cases for our Browning HighPowers. We quit it when the locking keys broke.

Yes, I agree that you should be very careful about downspringing Glock and XD pistols.

While managing Oregon Trail I played around with 300 grain .45's, but found them to be way too slow and wierd to handle. However, I took 265 grain Laser-Cast bullets and Clays to the World Shoot in Brazil in '96. It was a wonderfully soft-shooting load that ran fine with an 11.5 ISMI spring. Because this great thing was possible I became utterly convinced that I needed it. Then we got to a stage with very fast swingers in 3-foot-wide windows at about 15 to 20 yards. Brian looked at me and asked me my velocity: "680 FPS." He did some mental math and came back with the truth. "OK, you can't actually hit those."

He was right. By the time I could react to the appearing target, slap the trigger and that pokey bullet could arrive there, it would be gone. So, I was reduced to simply throwing down a hail of lead at each window. I recall hanging a couple edgy D hits on each one, and all at the price of an extra reload to boot. Great advantage.

Still my desire for low-flip, no-slide-velocity loads persisted when I got into Production by accident a few years ago. For me, I'm pretty sure that the least recoil spring needed to crisply return the slide without dipping is what I want. But, a slow, low and pushy slide stroke isn't any advantage. With my pet 147 gr. Laser-Cast / N310 load, my P226's aren't animated, and I sense I am getting more information about what my sights are doing while on their relaxed vacation time between alignments than I really want or can exploit. Plus, all that sensation of time going by while the gun works tends to freak me out and try my patience. Since I can already see and aim a lot faster than I can actually shoot accurately, I've personally kinda decided to put my efforts on building better / faster trigger control skills to support it all.

However, this ultraheavy bullet thing might be great in pistols that aren't as inherently soft / yield consistent sight return as what I'm already shooting. (I currently am working with the SIG Sauer Sport Stock II, but will probably go to a standard alloy-frame version for this season.) I'll follow this with interest; if a market develops for something "more" than a cast 147, let me know and I'll ask our friends at Oregon Trail to squirt some out? -Bruce

• 6 months later...

180's in a 9mm case? Amazing how old becomes new again!

Check out the case dimensions of a 38 S&W vs 9x19. Other than the rim, not that far

apart.

Then look up data on the .380 Mk I British, or 38/200 or Colt super police round.

38 S&W case, 200 gr LRN, around 650 fps. 130 PF heavy bullet 38 load that goes back

to the 30's.