benos

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

A Hall Of Mirrors by Robert Stone.  It is Stone's first novel published in 1966.  It concerns the doings of a right-wing radio station in mid-1960s New Orleans.  Readers use the word "prescient" a lot when describing the story.  You will have to read it to see why.

Paul Newman, the actor, made a movie of it that was released in 1970.  It is called WUSA.  It is almost a good movie but is damaged by poorly edited crowd scenes and some outdated cultural depictions of African Americans.  It also has a Neil Diamond song in it that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Nonetheless, the script, co-written by Robert Stone, brings forward something latent in the novel--how to survive extreme politics.  You may not like the answer (drop out and become a drunk), but Newman's portrayal of the lead character, a proto-libertarian, makes it rather compelling.  You be the judge.  

• 5 months later...

Early Stephen King books were his best.  My favorites...
- Carrie
- Salem's Lot
- The Shining (great movie too)
- The Stand (I think this was one of his best. Covid gives me flashbacks.)

Shooting related...
- With Winning in Mind, by Lanny Bassham (Great concepts for what it takes to be a top level shooter or be a top achiever at anything in life.)
- Most any training book by Ben Stoeger

Others...
- Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell and Patrick Robinsons
- The Hunt for Red October, by Tom Clancy (This is perhaps my favorite, but all of his books are top notch!)

Cormac Mccarthy- The Road, Blood Meridian, The Border Trilogy

Studs Terkel- The Good War

David Foster Wallace- Infinite Jest, A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again

Leo Tolstoy- War and Peace, The Kreutzer Sonata

Top of my list: Thomas Pynchon- Mason & Dixon

Life is too short to read mediocre books!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, benos said:

I'm totally addicted to Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. (And the show on amazon, Reacher, is great too.)

Yup! Our local library has someone who likes these books also as the whole series is in eBook form. And they add the new ones very quickly! 

• 11 months later...

I wish I still had my @Brian Enos Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals book. Somewhere between moving I’ve lost some of my collection of shooting skills books and it was nice to just pick up one to reread. Oh well later down the path I’ll try and get some back. Just now I’ll have some extra downtime with the upcoming shoulder repair surgery. Wife even made me a bookmark. 
IMG_4047.thumb.jpeg.85a4a39341b561df51cf17fa574ced63.jpeg