Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post Books Here

benos

Science Fiction:

Peter F. Hamilton: Nights Dawn Trilogy, pretty much anything else he writes

Jim Butcher: A must read. I'm not a Fantasy reader, but this guy's writing is superb and his characters are fantastic

Alistair Reynolds: pretty much anything he writes

Iain Banks: great UK writer with non traditional storylines / endings

Charles Stross:

Wow, never thought about it, but nearly all my favs are UK writers. . . .

Drama Fiction

Harlan Coben

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a book I honestly didn't expect to like:

Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand.

I'm not all the way through yet, but all the little plot twists and characters that come and go are quite surprising. It's like daytime soap opera with socio/political commentary.

HAYNES GMC Yukon XL repair manual....even though its a love/hate read, i always find myself trying to comprehend its complexities, inevitable plot twists, and resulting vise like tension headahes it creates with the turn of each page.

2001: A Space Odyssey, Arthur C. Clarke

Into Thin Air, John Krakauer

Into The Wild, John Krakauer

The Lost Explorer, Conrad Anker

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenence, Robert Pirsig

Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey

Genius, James Gleick

Easter Island, Thor Heyerdahl

Youth In Revolt, C.D. Payne

most Robert Ludlum novels

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Born to Run McDougall, Christopher

The Real George Washington Parry, Jay A

The Count of Monte Cristo Dumas, Alexandre

God's Debris: A Thought Experiment Adams, Scott

The 5000 Year LeapSkousen, W. Cleon

The Old Man and the Sea Hemingway, Ernest

World War Z Brooks, Max

Lone Survivor Luttrell, Marcus

The Robe Douglas, Lloyd C.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I see many of my favorites listed, but am I the only one that reads Joseph Campbell?

Hero With a Thousand Faces? The Power of Myth? I love all of his stuff.

I can't believe I saw Bored of the Rings listed. I didn't think anybody else knew about that book. Absolutely hilarious if you're a Tolkien fan.

• 7 months later...

I have the first 2012 post in this thread!

Hard to list individual books, I read 2 or 3 a week sometimes, but here goes:

Vince Flynn books.

Lee Child's Reacher series

Day by day Armageddon

30 Seconds After

The Joe Ledger series.

LL westerns.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow someone had Zelazny on their list. The Chronicles of Amber is awesome.

I am a huge S. King fan, highly recommend his Dark Tower Series, beginning with The Gunslinger. Truly a badass story. Nowadays you don't have to wait years between books either.....

Run Rabbit Run by John Updike. Pretty cool and somewhat wacky story. An English teacher suggested I read it for a report way back in high school, turned out I actually liked it. He was a smart dude for sure.

Flight of the Intruder By Coonts got me hooked on flying novels as a young kid. Too bad they made such a sucky movie of it.

The one book that really made me into the reader I am now was titled Golem in the Gears, by Piers Anthony. The whole Xanth series seems to me now like it was for kids. How I loved those books.

• 7 months later...

Science Fiction Novels

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

Non-Fiction

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson It's an amazing book that reads like an Indiana Jones adventure only it happens to be true.

Edited by JesseM

• 3 weeks later...

I was glad to see someone besides myself old enough to be a John D. McDonald / Travis McGee fan. McGee was the tough guy that had soft spots for strays, damsels in distress, and victims of the ruthless......and I still dig them out and re-read them from time to time. Along with...

Anything by Heinlein

Anything by Ruark

Most anything by Asimov

Anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Anything by Capstick

Anything by Hemingway

I am and have always been a voracious reader. Unfortunately my reading of choice has always leaned to escapist matter, as evidenced by my author's list. So be it.....

Can't believe I left Stephen Hunter off my list.

Edited by tangocharlie

• 7 months later...

The newest 3-Gun Nation Print Magazine is ready to ship to your home. In this issue:

• Coverage and action photography from the 2013 AR15.com Pro-Am
• 3 Gun Rifle Fundamentals and skills to improve your game
• Anatomy of a modular Trigger
• The 3-Gun Ferarri - a review of the JP15
• How to convert your AR to .22LR
• 20 questions with team Stag Arms Pro Kalani Laker
• A look inside the world of Surefire
• News from the 3-Gun Nation Pro Series and National Club Series

And much more. Get it delivered to your door 6 times a year!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
CALL OF THE WILD - JACK LONDON, 1903

"He had never seen dogs fight as these wolfish creatures fought, and his first experience taught him an unforgettable lesson. it is true, it was a vicarious experience, else he would not have lived to profit by it. Curly was the victim. They were camped near the log store, where she, in her friendly way, made advances to a husky dog the size of a full-grown wolf, though not half so large as she. There was no warning, only a leap in like a flash, a metallic clip of teeth, a leap out equally swift, and Curly's face was ripped open from eye to jaw.

It was the wolf manner of fighting, to strike and leap away; but there was more to it than this. Thirty or forty huskies ran to the spot and surrounded the combatants in an intent and silent circle. Buck did not comprehend that silent intentness, nor the eager way with which they were licking their chops. Curly rushed her antagonist, who struck again and leaped aside. He met her next rush with his chest, in a peculiar fashion that tumbled her off her feet. She never regained them. This was what the onlooking huskies had waited for. They closed in upon her, snarling and yelping, and she was buried, screaming with agony, beneath the bristling mass of bodies.

So sudden was it, and so unexpected, that Buck was taken aback. He saw Spitz run out his scarlet tongue in a way he had of laughing; and he saw Francois, swinging an axe, spring into the mess of dogs. Three men with clubs were helping him to scatter them. It did not take long. Two minutes from the time Curly went down, the last of her assailants were clubbed off. But she lay there limp and lifeless in the bloody, trampled snow, almost literally torn to pieces, the swart half-breed standing over her and cursing horribly. The scene often came back to Buck to trouble him in his sleep. So that was the way. No fair play. Once down, that was the end of you. Well, he would see to it that he never went down.