Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Warranties

Tochnost

Wondering if there are those out there that have an understanding of slide warranties between the different brands. I am posting this in the Open section as it seems like slides on open guns are correct fairly often, and this could be a living resource to those putting new guns or top ends together,

From my limited understanding STI will warranty a cracked slide as long as it has not been cut to under 10 ounces and the cus are not what caused the crack. Can anyone confirm this?

Also what are the warranties on CK arms, Caspian, etc? Will they cover the slides under the same circumstances?

Finally are there ways, besides logos, that a manufacturer can identify their own slide for warranty work.

Thanks all!!

Edit: If you have a slide that has cracked. Please tell us where the crack was and if it was deemed by the manufacturer to be the result of slide lightening and therefore not warrantied. Pictures are great if anyone has those to accompany their posts.

Edited by Tochnost

Hello: STI is 10.5 ozs I believe now. Thanks, Eric

Can you verify that? I just snapped one at the back upper corner of the breech face last weekend on a 6" limited. Message me as I don't want to disturb the thread. Thanks

Edited by chaosshooter00

Even though my STI slide weight is 10.5 oz and cracked they would not warranty it because it had lightening cuts. This was on a 5" custom Limited.

Edited by Zoomy

I just had a slide replaced by STI. It was a 10oz shorty open (commander) slide. It took over 8 months for them to get it to me, but they replaced it. I am in the process of rebuilding the gun now with the new slide.

Even though my STI slide weight is 10.5 oz and cracked they would not warranty it because it had lightening cuts. This was on a 5" custom Limited.

Zoomy, was your crack near or touching the cuts or was it around the chamber? Do you have a picture?

Zoomy, was your crack near or touching the cuts or was it around the chamber? Do you have a picture?

Here is a photo. As you can see it cracked at the third port and through the slide frame rail channel. I'm guessing since it cracked through the port cut it voided the warranty. This happened last year 2 weeks before area 5 and I had nationals right after that. the origional builder said he would be able to get a new one under warranty but there was not enough time to finish it before area 5 so I purchased a Caspian and tri topped and fitted it myself. Edited by Zoomy

What # recoil spring did you run with that slide? Shock buff?

Here is a photo. As you can see it cracked at the third port and through the slide frame rail channel. I'm guessing since it cracked through the port cut it voided the warranty. This happened last year 2 weeks before area 5 and I had nationals right after that. the origional builder said he would be able to get a new one under warranty but there was not enough time to finish it before area 2 so I purchased a Caspian and tri topped and fitted it myself.

image.jpg

Just wondering what # recoil spring you ran with that slide and if you used a shock buff? I have a slide cut very similar to that one.

I used a 12 pound spring. The same was put in by the gun smith. It had 15-16 K rounds of .40 S&W through it when it cracked. I put a new spring in at about the 10K round count. Never used a shock buffer. Was told by someone with the same gun that he never used one and had no problems with over 20K through it.