Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge - Help me get started

longbeard

Hello all,

Picked up an Edge 5" Bull the other day. It's new to me, about 1k rounds through it. It is stock and has the RecoilMaster system in it. I'm wondering if there are any immediate upgrades I should make for reliability sake. Also, any thoughts on 165 vs. 180 projectiles with Titegroup as I have plenty of that powder. I'll be wanting to make both major and minor loads for the gun. I'd appreciate any insights you're willing to share.

Thanks!

A stock STI Edge is already pretty reliable. Where most reliability issues occur with it are in the magazines. If you don't already have tuned mags and haven't tuned mags before, check out Dawson's mag tuning kit. Edges in 40 also like long OAL such as 1.185 - 1.2.

Most everything else you do to an Edge is related to your shooting prefs such as trigger, swapping the recoil master out for a standard guide rod, grip stippling, etc.

I'm in about the same boat. Figuring out ammo/magazines is probably your first challenge. Titegroup and a 180 grain TC loaded to 1.18" OAL should be an excellent starting point. I've found that mine in particular will feed 1.135" ammo, but I also found out that's less of a consideration since my M&P will feed longer ammo as well. You get in kind of a chicken-egg problem: You can't make ammo that works unless you know your mags work, and you can't tune your mags unless you know the ammo will work. If it came with mags from the previous owner that work, I'd come up with a functional load with them. I only got one, but it was enough for ammo testing.

I can't tell you firsthand how 200s work, but they're on my list to test as well, especially with the OAL bonus the STIs get you.

While the Recoilmaster works, it's easier to do recoil spring tuning with a normal full length guide rod setup, which also gets you a little bit more heft underneath that already hefty FLDC. For major PF, I dig it that way.

Me and several of my teammates who shoot Edges (I shoot a DVC) load 180gr FP Ibejiheads over 4.2-4.4gr Titegroup @ 1.160 COL. Works well for all of us if we need to share for some reason. 4.3 to 4.4 insures major PF for level 2 and 3 matches. 4.2 usually make major and is the default for local level 1 matches. YMMV.

Dawson rod is the only one to get. Dawson ice magwell. STI mag release button on a Dawson posi lock release.

I shoot my edge with a 16 lb spring and the stock main spring. My style of shooting has always had me with a heavy spring

Mbx mags and double alpha holster stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys and gals,

While we are talking about this, what recoil spring/rod are you guys using for the .40 Edge? I have one that I bought earlier this year that I have only put about 50-100 rounds down range with it. I shot Glocks all year shooting Production, but have plans to run it in Limited in 2016 some with the Edge. I will be shooting major with 175 gr hi-tech coated TCBB.

Thanks in advance guys. Have a safe week.

EW

Guys and gals,

While we are talking about this, what recoil spring/rod are you guys using for the .40 Edge? I have one that I bought earlier this year that I have only put about 50-100 rounds down range with it. I shot Glocks all year shooting Production, but have plans to run it in Limited in 2016 some with the Edge. I will be shooting major with 175 gr hi-tech coated TCBB.

EW

Dawson tool-less, 12lb spring from WIlson (they seem to fit over the guide rod better; make less noise than the Wolff's), and an EGW buffer. I replace buffer whenever it gets chewed up. Replace spring roughly every 3k rounds, or when I remember to do so.

Replaced stock trigger group w/EGW sear & disconnector, DK hammer and SV trigger. DPM recoil system and did tri top and lightening serrations on the slide.

Solid upgrades. Lots of fitting to get it to work? What's the end result like?

Guys and gals,

EW

I just ditched the RecoilIMaster for an STI one-piece and a 12lb. Wolff. No complaints.

Guys and gals,

EW

I just ditched the RecoilIMaster for an STI one-piece and a 12lb. Wolff. No complaints.

Yeah, I am not a fan of the Recoil Master after shooing a friends set up which I am not sure what it is spring weight wise. His tracks incredibly flat compared to mine. Mine when shooting say a Bill Drill, I get the zipper effect. They keep rising up, where his is more just a big cluster of holes in the target. Thanks for the info guys!

Hello: One piece guide rod, I like STI or EGW's best. ISMI 12.5lb recoil spring but try a 14lb to see what you like best. 17lb ISMI mainspring and no shock buff. Some like a tungsten guide rod for the Edge type pistols but I have seen quite a few go flying out the end during a match. Thanks, Eric

Run it the way it is now for a while before you decide to go changing anything, you might surprise yourself with how good a stock STI actually is. Figure out your ammo situation first. I prefer 200s over the 180s over the 165s. I use the same toolhead and the same powder charge only changing from 200s to 165s and those are minor rounds in my gun. I only have to change the recoil spring.

In order of importance. Ammo, magazines/basepad, trigger, recoil system, magwell, grip. This is of course in my opinion.

Run it the way it is now for a while before you decide to go changing anything, you might surprise yourself with how good a stock STI actually is. Figure out your ammo situation first. I prefer 200s over the 180s over the 165s. I use the same toolhead and the same powder charge only changing from 200s to 165s and those are minor rounds in my gun. I only have to change the recoil spring.

In order of importance. Ammo, magazines/basepad, trigger, recoil system, magwell, grip. This is of course in my opinion.

Handy idea switching weights with the same charge!