Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge - Help me get started

longbeard

When I got my Executive, the only thing I had to change to make it run reliable was the extractor. I was having issues with the one in the gun. Replaced it with an Aftec one and never looked back. I started with 4.3gr o Titegroup with 180gr and it was okay. Tried out some 200 with TG and I notice how it tamed down the snappiness. I ran out of TG and started using CFE-P and it even made it a softer shooting gun. My next change is to do a Dawson Tooless rod. After a while the recoilmaster gets annoying to take the gun apart, at least in my case. I also want to have the ability to change recoil spring with convectional 1911 style spring that are readily available in my area.

Dawson tool-less guide rod, 14lbs Wolff variable spring, STI gunsmith fit trigger left flat but with flash removed, .090" front sight with green FO rod, Kensight rear with 45 degree corners, hard chrome finish

185gr Precision Bullets over 4.2gr Titegroup @ 1.155" OAL for 173 PF using small rifle primers

I used 200gr BBIs last year for a while, and they were really excellent, very pleasant to shoot. I moved back to and stayed with Precision to keep costs down.

Shoot til your arms fall off

• 2 weeks later...

The first upgrade that I would recommend is to replace the guide rod to 1 piece stainless steel and Wolf variable recoil spring for a softer feel. Second, would be to replace the front sight to a 180 tall 100 wide Dawson fiber optic. Lastly, (if you are competing) get a SV or EGW trigger kit and have a qualified gunsmith install and do the trigger job for lighter trigger pull, crispier, and shorter reset). As to projectile weight, I recommend the 180 grains (so you use lesser powder charge to achieve Major power factor). Heavier bullet is softer to shot (heavy bullet = less powder).